Special Issue Article
Emergency manager decision-making and tornado warning communication
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Communicating weather information and impacts
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 163–172, June 2010
How to Cite
League, C. E., Díaz, W., Philips, B., Bass, E. J., Kloesel, K., Gruntfest, E. and Gessner, A. (2010), Emergency manager decision-making and tornado warning communication. Met. Apps, 17: 163–172. doi: 10.1002/met.201
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 23 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 2009
- Engineering Research Centers Program of the National Science Foundation
- AMS Council. 2000. Tornado preparedness and safety. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 1061–1065.
- 2009. Incorporating emergency management needs in the development of weather radar networks. Journal of Emergency Management 7(1): 45–52. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Emergency management decision-making during severe weather. Weather and Forecasting 23(6): 1268–1279. , , , .
- 1996. A comparison of tornado warning lead times with and without NEXRAD Doppler radar. Weather and Forecasting 11: 47–52. , .
- 2001. Deaths in the 3 May 1999 Oklahoma City Tornado from a historical perspective. Weather and Forecasting 17(3): 354–361. , .
- 2010. Evaluation of distributed collaborative adaptive sensing for detection of low-level circulations and implications for severe weather warning operations. Weather and Forecasting 25(1): 173–189. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Tornado Losses in the United States. Natural Hazards Review 10(4): 145–150. .
- 2008. Decision making as community adaptation: a case study of emergency managers in Oklahoma. Disasters 32: 292–302. .
- 1999. Storm spotting and public awareness since the first tornado forecasts of 1948. Weather and Forecasting 14: 544–557. , , .
- 2000. The tornado problem: forecast, warning, and response. Natural Hazards Review 1(2): 107–118. , .
- 2009. 300 billion served: sources, perceptions, uses, and values of weather forecasts. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 90(6): 785–798. , , .
- 2002. The role of ground-truth reports in the warning decision-making process during the 3 May 1999 Oklahoma tornado outbreak. Weather and Forecasting 17: 647–649. .
- 2009. Short-wavelength technology and the potential for distributed networks of small radar systems. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 90(12): 1797–1817. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Weather radar coverage over the contiguous United States. Weather and Forecasting 17(4): 927–934. , , , .
- 2002. Flash flood mitigation: recommendations for research and applications. Environmental Hazards 4: 15–22. , .
- 2006. Practical strategies for combining qualitative and quantitative methods: applications to health research. In Emergent Methods in Social Research, Hesse-BiberSN, LeavyP (eds). Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA; 165–182. .
- 2001. OK-FIRST: A meteorological information system for public safety. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82(9): 1911–1923. , , , .
- 2007. Use of information by National Weather Service forecasters and emergency managers during CALJET and PACJET-2001. Weather and Forecasting 22: 539–555. , .
- NOAA. 2004. NOAA reports record number of tornadoes in 2004. http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2359.htm (Accessed 1 February 2010).
- NWS. 2009a. Summary of natural hazards statistics for 2008 in the United States. http://www.weather.gov/os/hazstats/sum08.pdf (Accessed 30 November 2009).
- NWS. 2009b. Monthly and annual tornado statistics for the state of Oklahoma (1950–2009). http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/tornadodata/ok/monthlyannual.php (accessed 21 November 2009).
- NWS. 2009c. NOAA's NWS national performance measures FY 2008—FY 2014. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cfo/program_planning/doc/FY-2009%20NOAA's%20NWS%20National%20Performance %20Measures%20-%20Graph%20Update.pdf (Accessed 30 November 2009).
- 2009. Understanding and enhancing the public's behavioral response to flood warning information. Meteorological Applications 16: 103–114. , , .
- 2007. Integrating end user needs into system design and operation: the Center for Collaborative Adaptive Sensing of the Atmosphere (CASA). Preprints, 16th Conference on Applied Climatology, San Antonio, TX. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Crisis and emergency risk communication as an integrative model. Journal of Health Communication 10: 43–55. , .
- 2010. Emergency managers, allocation of radar resources & policy implications: the intersection of weather hazards, population, and technology. Journal of Emergency Management in press. , , , .
- 2009. Impact of increased spatio-temporal radar data resolution on forecaster wind assessments. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 11–14 October 2009, San Antonio, TX. , , .
- 2005. WSR-88D radar, tornado warnings and tornado casualties. Weather and Forecasting 20: 301–310. , .
- 2000. Hazard warning systems: review of 20 years of progress. Natural Hazards Review 1: 119–125. .