Special Issue Article
Visualization of the weather—past and present
Article first published online: 17 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Communicating weather information and impacts
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 126–133, June 2010
How to Cite
Keeling, S. J. (2010), Visualization of the weather—past and present. Met. Apps, 17: 126–133. doi: 10.1002/met.208
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 17 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 28 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 19 JAN 2010
- BBC. 2005. Newspapers face up to new media. Available from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4595605.stm (last accessed 24 November 2008).
- BBC. 2006. Papers battle online news sites. Available from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6220424.stm (last accessed 12 January 2010).
- 1565. Hunters in the Snow. Kunsthistorirische Museum: Vienna, Austria. View at http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page430.html (last accessed 21 May 2008). .
- 1981. Winter landscapes and climatic change. Weather 36: 352–357. .
- Center Parcs. 2007. Subtropical swimming paradise. Available from http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/villages/sherwood/todo/indoor/subtropical/index.jsp (last accessed 24 November 2007).
- 1949. Landscape Into Art. John Murray: London, United Kingdom; 151. .
- 1816. Flatford Mill (‘Scene on a navigable river’) 1816–1817. Available from http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ ViewWork?workid = 2591 (last accessed 21 May 2008). .
- 1824. A storm off the coast of Brighton. Available from http://www.nga.gov.au/Exhibition/CONSTABLE/Detail.cfm?IRN=145387 (last accessed 21 May 2008). .
- 2002. Gale Force 10. Headline Book Publishing: London; 112–114. .
- CNN. 2009. Murdoch: web sites to charge for content. Available from http://www.cnn.com/2009/BUSINESS/05/07/murdoch.web.content/index.html (last accessed 2009).
- 1779. Explanation of Columns in the Journal—Memoirs of Alexander Dalrymple. Library of Congress: Washington, DC; 1. .
- 2003. The weather project. Available from http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/eliasson/default.htm (last accessed 24 November 2007). .
- 1861a. Meteorological charts. Philosophical Magazine 22: 34–35. .
- 1861b. European weather-charts for December 1861, Report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, 30. .
- 1875. The times weather chart. Available from http://galton.org/meteorologist.html (last accessed 21 May 2008). .
- 1990. Television Weathercasting: A History. McFarland and Company Inc.: London, United Kingdom. .
- 2009. Visual broadcast meteorology; communicating the weather forecast. University of Birmingham. .
- 1967. Britain's Changing Climate. Geographical Journal 133: 445–466. .
- 1982. Climate, History and the Modern World. Methuen & Co.: London, United Kingdom; 178–197. .
- 2003. Information, interactivity, and the prospects of a global citizenry: an inquiry into the nature and the function of online news. Informing Science 1057–1075. .
- Meteorological Office. 2006. Annual report and accounts 2005/2006. The Stationary Office. Available from http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/publications/annualreport/ (last accessed 27 September 2008).
- 2002. The Visual Culture Reader, 2nd edn. Routledge: London, United Kingdom. .
- 1994. Picture Theory. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL and London, United Kingdom. .
- 2005. Ice and snow paintings of little ice age winters. Weather 60(2): 37–41. .
- 1992. Public perception of weather forecasts—results of a survey. Weather 47(5): 167–172. .
- 1999. John Constables Skies. University of Birmingham Press: Birmingham, United Kingdom; 288. .
- 2000. A brief history of weather in European landscape art. Weather 55(10): 363–375. .
- 2008. Cultural climatology and the representation of sky, atmosphere, weather and climate in selected art works of Constable. Monet and Eliasson, Geoforum 39: 570–580. .
- 2003. Monet's ‘London Series’ and the cultural climate of London at the turn of the Twentieth Century. In Weather, Climate and Cultured, StraussS, OrloveB (eds). Berg Press: Oxford, United Kingdom; 141–160. , .