Univariate modelling of monthly maximum temperature time series over northeast India: neural network versus Yule–Walker equation based approach
Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 70–82, March 2011
How to Cite
Chattopadhyay, S., Jhajharia, D. and Chattopadhyay, G. (2011), Univariate modelling of monthly maximum temperature time series over northeast India: neural network versus Yule–Walker equation based approach. Met. Apps, 18: 70–82. doi: 10.1002/met.211
- Issue online: 22 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 14 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2010
- 1987. Origins and levels of monthly and seasonal forecast skill for United States surface air temperatures determined by canonical correlation analysis. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1825–1850. , .
- 2000. Autoregressive forecasting of some functional climatic variations. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 27: 673–687. , , .
- 2003. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation—GECCO 2003. Springer: Berlin, and Heidelberg, Germany. , .
- 2007. Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control, 3rd edn. Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd.: New Delhi, India. , , .
- 1994. Predicting monthly and annual air temperature characteristics in North Carolina. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33: 490–499. , .
- 1994. Trend analysis of mean monthly maximum and minimum surface temperatures of the 1951–1990 period in Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Il Nuovo Cimento 17: 511–521. , , .
- 2007. Feed forward Artificial Neural Network model to predict the average summer-monsoon rainfall in India. Acta Geophysica 55: 369–382. .
- 2008. Comparative study among different neural net learning algorithms applied to rainfall time series. Meteorological Applications 15: 273–280. , .
- 2009a. Predicting daily total ozone over Kolkata, India: skill assessment of different neural network models. Meteorological Applications 16: 179–190. , .
- 2009b. Autoregressive forecast of monthly total ozone concentration: A neurocomputing approach. Computers and Geosciences 35: 1925–1932. , .
- 2009. Estimating potential evapotranspiration from limited weather data over Gangetic West Bengal, India: a neurocomputing approach. Meteorological Applications 16: 403–411. , , .
- 2001. Measure of CINE-a relevant parameter for forecasting pre-monsoon thunderstorms over GWB. Mausam 52: 679–684. , .
- 2005. Neuro-computing based short range prediction of some meteorological parameters during the pre-monsoon season. Soft Computing 9: 349–354. , .
- 2007. Efficient nonlinear modeling of rainfall-runoff process using wavelet compression. Journal of Hydrology 332: 442–455. .
- 2003. Statistical prediction of global sea-surface temperature anomalies. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1677–1697. , .
- 1997. Comparing neural networks and regression models for Ozone forecasting. Journal of Air and Waste Management Association 47: 653–663. .
- 2007. The IPCC fourth assessment report and the fiftieth anniversary of Sputnik. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 14: 384–387. , .
- 2004. Rainfall regime of northeast India: a hydrometeorological study with special emphasis on the Brahmaputra basin, Unpublished PhD thesis, Gauhati University, Assam, India. .
- 2003. Long-term variability of rainfall over northeast India. Indian Journal of Landscape Systems and Ecological Studies 26(1): 1–20. , .
- 1994. Box-Jenkins univariate modelling for climatological time series analysis: an application to the monthly activity of temperature inversions. International Journal of Climatology 14: 569–579. , .
- 1978. Stochastic models for monthly rainfall forecasting and synthetic generation. Journal of Applied Meteorology 17: 1528–1536. , .
- 2003. Variability of extreme temperature events in South–central Europe during the 20th century and its Relationship with large-scale circulation. International Journal of Climatology 23: 978–1010. , , , , .
- 1996. Neural network for time series processing. Neural Network World 6: 447–468. .
- 1994. Time series models adoptable for forecasting Nile floods and Ethiopian rainfalls. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 75: 83–94. , , .
- 1987. The relation between Indian monsoon rainfall, the southern oscillation, and hemispheric air and sea temperature: 1884–1984. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 943–948. , .
- 2005. Operational predictability of monthly average maximum temperature over the Iberian Peninsula using DEMETER simulations and downscaling. Tellus 57A: 448–463. , , , .
- 1998. Artificial neural networks (the multilayer perceptron)-a review of applications in the atmospheric sciences. Atmospheric Environment 32: 2627–2636. , .
- 1999. Seasonal variation in photosynthesis and productivity of young tea. Experimental Agriculture 35: 71–85. , .
- 1953. An aid for forecasting the minimum temperature at Denver, Colo. Monthly Weather Review 81: 233–245. .
- 1994. Fundamentals of Statistics, Vol. 2. The World Press Private Limited: Kolkata, India. , , .
- 2005. Change in mean temperature as a predictor of extreme temperature change in the Asia–pacific region. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1301–1330. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Long-term trends in precipitation and temperature in the Norwegian Arctic: can they be explained by changes in atmospheric circulation patterns? Climate Research 10: 143–153. , .
- 1985. Long term trends of surface air temperature in India. International Journal of Climatology 5: 521–528. , , .
- 1991. Selection of methods for the detection and estimation of trends in water quality. Water Resources Research 27: 803–814. , , .
- 1998. Applying neural network models to prediction and data analysis in meteorology and oceanography. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 79: 1855–1870. , .
- 1984. Estimation of global and diffuse irradiation from sunshine duration and atmospheric water vapour content. Solar Energy 33: 217–20. .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. In Climate Change 2007: Mitigation of Climate Change, MetzB, DavidsonO, BoschP, DaveR, MeyerL (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York, NY.
- 2009. Temporal characteristics of pan evaporation trends under the humid conditions of northeast India. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 763–770. , , , .
- 1999. Accelerating neural network training using weight extrapolations. Neural Networks 12: 1285–1299. , .
- 1959. Forecasting minimum temperatures on clear winter nights in an arid region. Monthly Weather Review 87: 19–28. .
- 2005. Detection and predictive modeling of chaos in finite hydrological time series. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 12: 41–53. , , .
- 1970. Computer forecasts of maximum and minimum temperatures. Journal of Applied Meteorology 9: 350–359. , .
- 1971. Recent developments in automated max/min temperature forecasting. Journal of Applied Meteorology 10: 916–920. , , .
- 1973. Screening improved predictors for automated max/min temperature forecasting. Preprints of 3rd Conference on Probability and Statistics. American Meteorological Society: Boulder, CO; 36–43. , .
- 1984. Autoregressive modelling of the tropical stratospheric quasi-biennial oscillation. International Journal of Climatology 4: 347–363. , .
- 2005. On the recent changes in surface temperature trends over India. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L18714. , .
- 1997. Pre-monsoon maximum and minimum temperatures over India in relation to the summer monsoon rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1115–1127. , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian Monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 1996. The autoregressive model of climatological time series: an application to the longest time series in Portugal. International Journal of Climatology 16: 1165–1173. , .
- 1994. Hydro-climatological trends in the continental United States, 1948–1988. Journal of Climate 7: 586–607. , , .
- 2007. Changes in seasonal patterns of temperature and precipitation in China during 1971–2000. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 24: 459–473. , , .
- 1980. Clouds and Storms. Pennsylvania State University Press: Pennsylvania. .
- 2004. European seasonal and annual temperature variability, trends, and extremes since 1500. Science 303: 1499–1503. , , , , .
- 2000. Neural networks for the prediction and forecasting of water resources variables: a review of modelling issues and applications. Environmental Modelling and Software 15: 101–124. , .
- 2007. Impact of sea surface temperature in modulating movement and intensity of tropical cyclones. Natural Hazards 41: 413–427. , , , .
- 1945. Objective methods of forecasting the daily minimum and maximum temperature. Report Number 4, U.S. Army Air Force, Weather Station, New York University. , .
- 1997. Predicting daily maximum temperatures using linear regression and Eta Geopotential thickness forecasts. Weather and Forecasting 12: 799–807. , .
- 1984. Extreme high-temperature events: changes in their probabilities with changes in mean temperature. Journal of Applied Meteorology 23: 1601–1613. , , .
- 2000. An introduction to trends in extreme weather and climate events: observations, socio-economic impacts, terrestrial ecological impacts, and model projections. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81(3): 413–416. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Hybrid Intelligent Systems for Pattern Recognition Using Soft Computing: An Evolutionary Approach for Neural Networks and Fuzzy Systems (Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing). Springer-Verlag, New York, Inc.: Secaucus, NJ. , .
- 1998. Trends and persistence in precipitation in the Ganges, Brahmaputra and Meghna basins in South Asia. Hydrological Sciences Journal 43: 845–858. , , , .
- 1948. Evolution of monthly mean circulation and weather patterns. Transactions of American Geophysics U29: 777–788. .
- 1996. Temperature variations in Spain since 1901: A preliminary analysis. International Journal of Climatology 16: 805–815. , .
- 2003. The power of statistical tests for trend detection. Turkish Journal of Engineering and Environmental Science 27: 247–251. , .
- 2005. Nonlinear dynamics extraction for time-delay systems using modular neural networks synchronization and prediction. Physica A 351: 133–141. , , , .
- 1997. Climates of South Asia. John Wiley and Sons: New York, NY; 320. , .
- 2007. Variability of convective activity over the North Indian Ocean and its associations with monsoon rainfall over India. Pure and Applied Geophysics 164: 1527–1545. .
- 2000. Prediction of PM2.5 concentrations several hours in advance using neural networks in Santiago, Chile. Atmospheric Environment 34: 1189–1196. , , .
- 1995. Tornadoes of the Indian subcontinent. Paper presented at 9th International Conference on Wind Engineering, International Association of Wind Engineering, New Delhi, Indiaxs. , .
- 1990. Application of one-dimensional planetary boundary layer model to the regional transport of pollutants—a case study. Atmospheric Research 25: 521–38. , , .
- 1992. Degree-day base temperature for residential building energy prediction in Saudi Arabia. ASHRAE Transactions 98: 346–53. .
- 1995. Methods to speed up error back-propagation learning algorithm. ACM Computing Surveys 27: 519–544. .
- 1999. Maximum temperature trends in the Himalaya and its vicinity: an analysis based on temperature records from Nepal for the period 1971–1994. Journal of Climate 12: 2775–2786. , , , .
- 2005. Chaos in rainfall: variability, temporal scale and zeros. Journal of Hydroinformatics 7: 175–184. .
- 2000. Spatial interpolation of surface air temperatures using artificial neural networks: evaluating their use for downscaling GCMs. Journal of Climate 13: 886–895. , , .
- 1956. Empirically determined distributions of hourly temperatures. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 13: 351–355. .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. , .
- 2000. Skill comparisons between neural networks and canonical correlation analysis in predicting the Equatorial Pacific Sea surface temperatures. Journal of Climate 13: 287–293. , , , .
- 2002. Application of neural networks for the prediction of hourly mean surface temperatures in Saudi Arabia. Renewable Energy 25: 545–554. , , .
- 2005. A comparative study of autoregressive neural network hybrids. Neural Networks 5–6: 781–789. , .
- 1994. Artificial neural network models for forecasting and decision making. International Journal of Forecasting 10: 5–15. , , , .
- 2000. Stationary and integrated autoregressive neural network processes. Neural Computation 10: 2427–2450. , , .
- 2008. Forecast of daily mean, maximum and minimum temperature time series by three artificial neural network methods. Meteorological Applications 15: 431–445. , , .
- 1975. Estimates of seasonal mean temperature, using persistence between seasons. Monthly Weather Review 103: 1121–1128. , .
- 2004. Atmospheric pollution and remote sensing: implications for the southern hemisphere ozone hole split in 2002 and the northern mid-latitude ozone trend. Monitoring of Changes Related to Natural and Manmade Hazards Using Space Technology 33: 249–253. .
- 2007. Technical note: Long-term memory effect in the atmospheric CO2 concentration at Mauna Loa. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 7: 629–634. , , .
- 2004. New features observed in the 11-year solar cycle. International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 2141–2157. , .
- 2008. Scaling effect in planetary waves over Antarctica. International Journal of Remote Sensing 29: 2697–2704. , , , , .
- 2007. Statistical forecast of temperature dynamics within month on the basis of hydrodynamic model outputs. Russian Meteorology and Hydrology 32: 147–153. , , .
- 1995. Trend estimation and regression analysis in climatological time series: An application of structural time series models and the Kalman filter. Journal of Climate 8: 969–979. , .
- 1972. The dry-line of Northern India and its role in cumulonimbus convection. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society 98: 469–471. .
- 1990. 30 years of adaptive neural networks: perceptron, Madaline, and backpropagation. Proceedings of the IEEE 78: 1415–1442. , .
- 1992. Vulnerability of Sri Lanka tea production to global climate change. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 92: 87–94. .
- 2006. Statistical Methods in Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edn. Academic Press: San Diego, California. .
- 1995. Smart interpolation of the annually averaged air temperature in the United States. Journal of Applied Meteorology 34: 2577–2586. , .
- 1993. Global warming and the problem of testing for trend in time series data. Journal of Climate 6: 953–962. , .
- 1995. Selecting a model for detecting the presence of a trend. Journal of Climate 8: 1929–1937. , .
- 2007. On the trend, detrending, and variability of nonlinear and nonstationary time series. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104: 14889–14894. , , , .
- 2003. Mediterranean summer air temperature variability and its connection to the large-scale atmospheric circulation and SSTs. Climate Dynamics 20: 723–739. , , , .
- 2006. Evaluation of environmental conditions for the formation of severe local storms across the Indian subcontinent. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L17806, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL026823. , .
- 2002. The influence of autocorrelation on the ability to detect trend in hydrological series. Hydrological Processes 16: 1807–1829. , , , .
- 2007. Quarterly time-series forecasting with neural networks. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 18: 1800–1814. , .
- 2005. Neural network forecasting for seasonal and trend time series. European Journal of Operations Research 160: 501–514. , .
- 2003. Convective clouds over the Bay of Bengal. Monthly Weather Review 131: 780–798. .
- 1995. Taking serial correlation into account in tests of mean. Journal of Climate 8: 336–350. , .