Fuzzy verification of high-resolution gridded forecasts: a review and proposed framework
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Forecast Verification
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 51–64, March 2008
How to Cite
Ebert, E. E. (2008), Fuzzy verification of high-resolution gridded forecasts: a review and proposed framework. Met. Apps, 15: 51–64. doi: 10.1002/met.25
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 3 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2006
- 2007. Evaluation of fuzzy scores for quantitative precipitation forecast verification using a testbed approach. In European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, 15–20 April 2007. , , .
- 2001. Verification of intense precipitation forecasts from single models and ensemble prediction systems. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 8: 401–417. .
- 2006. Sensitivity of several performance measures to displacement error, bias, and event frequency. Weather and Forecasting 21: 636–648. , .
- 1998. Objective limits on forecasting skill of rare events. 19th Conferences Severe Local Storms. American Meteorological Society: Minneapolis, MN; 552–555. , , .
- 2004. A new intensity-scale approach for the verification of spatial precipitation forecasts. Meteorological Applications 11: 141–154. , , .
- 2004. Verification against precipitation observations of a high density network—what did we learn? In International Verification Methods Workshop, Montreal, 15–17 September 2004, [Available online at http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc/wefor/staff/eee/verif/Workshop2004/presentations/5.3_Damrath.pdf; 4 May 2007]. .
- 2000. Summary of the 1998 Workshop on Mesoscale Model Verification. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 809–819. , .
- 2006. Object-based verification of precipitation forecasts. Part I: methods and application to mesoscale rain areas. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1772–1784. , , .
- 2002. Fuzzy verification: giving partial credit to erroneous forecasts. In NCAR/FAA Verification Workshop: Making Verification More Meaningful, NCAR, Boulder, 30 July—1 August 2002, [Available online at http://www.rap.ucar.edu/research/verification/verification_wkshp_2002/program.html; 4 May 2007]. .
- 2000. Verification of precipitation in weather systems: determination of systematic errors. Journal of Hydrology 239: 179–202. , .
- 2004. Scale dependence of the predictability of precipitation from continental radar images. Part II: probability forecasts. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43: 74–89. , .
- 2000. Quantitative precipitation forecasting in the U.K. Journal of Hydrology 239: 286–305. .
- 2005. Further developments of a fuzzy set map comparison approach. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 19: 769–785. , , .
- 2006. Map Comparison Kit 3: User Manual. Research Institute for Knowledge Systems: Maastricht; 73, [Available online at http://www.riks.nl/RiksGeo/resources/Map%20Comparison%20Kit %20Manual.pdf; 24 November 2006]. , , , , .
- 2006. Examination of convection-allowing configurations of the WRF model for the prediction of severe convective weather: the SPC/NSSL Spring Program 2004. Weather and Forecasting 21: 167–181. , , , , .
- 2008. A spatial verification method applied to the evaluation of high-resolution ensemble forecasts. Meteorological Applications 15: 127–145. , , .
- 2006. Cluster analysis for verification of precipitation fields. Weather and Forecasting 21: 824–838. , .
- 2002. Does increasing horizontal resolution produce more skillful forecasts? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 407–430. , , , .
- 2007. A radar-based verification of precipitation forecast for local convective storms. Atmospheric Research 83(221): 224. , , .
- 2000. Skill and relative economic value of the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 649–667. .
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Monthly Weather Review 136: 78–97. , .
- 2007. The verification of high-resolution precipitation forecasts of the operational JMA mesoscale model. In 3rd International Verification Methods Workshop, Reading, 31 January–2 February 2007. , .
- 2005. Probabilistic precipitation forecasts from a deterministic model: a pragmatic approach. Meteorological Applications 12: 257–268. , , .
- 2001. Scale issues in verification of precipitation forecasts. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(D11): 11,775–11,784. , , .
- 2004. Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 13: 600–612. , , , .
- 2004. Scale sensitivities in model precipitation skill scores during IHOP. 22ndConference Severe Local Storms. American Meteorological Society: Hyannis, MA, 4–8 October 2004. , , , .
- WWRP/WGNE Joint Working Group on Verification. 2007. Forecast Verification—Issues, Methods and FAQ, [Available online at http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc/wefor/staff/eee/verif/verif_web_page. html; 4 May 2007].
- 2006. Point and areal validation of forecast precipitation fields. Meteorological Applications 13: 1–20. , , , , , .
- 1965. Fuzzy sets. Information and Control 8: 338–353. .
- 2000. Space-time rainfall organization and its role in validating quantitative precipitation forecasts. Journal of Geophysical Research 105(D8): 10,129–10,146. , , .
- 2001. Fuzzy Set Theory and its Applications. Kluwer: Dordrecht; 507. .