Rapid merger and recyclogenesis of twin extratropical cyclones leading to heavy precipitation around Japan on 9–10 October 2001
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 36–53, March 2012
How to Cite
Yamamoto, M. (2012), Rapid merger and recyclogenesis of twin extratropical cyclones leading to heavy precipitation around Japan on 9–10 October 2001. Met. Apps, 19: 36–53. doi: 10.1002/met.255
- Issue online: 2 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 16 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2010
- 2007. A 36-year climatology of surface cyclogenesis in East Asia using high-resolution reanalysis data. SOLA 3: 113–116. , .
- 1970. Interaction of binary tropical cyclones of the western North Pacific Ocean. Journal of Applied Meteorology 9: 433–441. .
- 1983. A numerical study of the interaction between two tropical cyclones. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1806–1817. .
- 1991. Synoptic climatology of cyclogenesis over East Asia, 1958–1987. Monthly Weather Review 119: 1407–1418. .
- 1987. A numerical case study of East Asian coastal cyclogenesis. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1127–1139. , .
- 1989. Numerical study of convection observed during the winter monsoon experiment using a mesoscale two-dimensional model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46: 3077–3107. .
- 1993. A nonhydrostatic version of the Penn State-NCAR mesoscale model: validation tests and simulation of an Atlantic cyclone and cold front. Monthly Weather Review 121: 1493–1513. .
- 2005. PSU/NCAR mesoscale modeling system tutorial class notes and users' guide (MM5 modeling system version 3.7). , , , , .
- 2004. A polar low over the Japan Sea on 21 January 1997. Part I: observational analysis. Monthly Weather Review 132: 1537–1551. , , , .
- 1993. Prognostic evaluation of assumptions used by cumulus parameterizations. Monthly Weather Review 121: 764–787. .
- 1994. A description of the fifth-generation Penn State/NCAR mesoscale model (MM5). NCAR Technical Note, NCAR/TN-398 + STR; 117. , , .
- 2007. Analyses and numerical modeling of a polar low over the Japan Sea on 19 December 2003. Atmospheric Research 85: 395–412. , , , , , .
- 2008. Snowstorm over the southwestern coast of the Korean Peninsula associated with the development of mesocyclone over the Yellow Sea. Advance in Atmospheric Sciences 25: 765–777. , .
- 2009. Simulation of atmospheric states for a storm surge on the west coast of Korea: model comparison between MM5, WRF and COAMPS. Natural Hazards 51: 151–162. , , , , , .
- 2006. A pair of extratropical cyclones near the Japan islands. Tenki 53: 519–523 (in Japanese). .
- 2004. An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology, 4th edn. Academic Press: Burlington; 535 pp. .
- 1996. Nonlocal boundary layer vertical diffusion in a medium-range forecast model. Monthly Weather Review 124: 2322–2339. , .
- 1990. A case study of rapid cyclogenesis over Canada. Part II: simulations. Monthly Weather Review 118: 674–704. , .
- 1999. On the representation and diagnosis of frontal circulations in two and three dimensions. In The Life Cycles of Extratropical Cyclones, Shapiro MA, Gronas S (eds). American Meteor Society: Boston; 239–264. .
- 2008. Numerical study of explosively developing extratropical cyclones in the Northwestern Pacific region. Monthly Weather Review 136: 712–740. , .
- 1996. Accuracy of radar-AMeDAS precipitation. IEICE Transactions on Communications E79-B: 751–762. , , , .
- 1990. A case study of rapid cyclogenesis over Canada. Part I: diagnostic study. Monthly Weather Review 118: 655–673. , .
- 2005. Lecture on weather: cyclogenesis of “Nangan teikiatsu”. Tenki 52: 869–876 (in Japanese). , , .
- 2006. Lecture on weather: “Futatsudama teikiatsu (1)”. Tenki 53: 889–894 (in Japanese). , , .
- 1997. Binary interactions between polar lows. Tellus 49A: 577–594. , , .
- 1994. Improved global sea surface temperature analyses. Journal of Climate 7: 929–948. , .
- 1983. Meso- and small-scale structure of a cold-frontal precipitation system affected by a small low and mesoscale orography. Papers in Meteorology and Geophysics 34: 61–74. .
- 1982. Mesoscale weather systems of the central United States. CIRES/NOAA Technical Report, University of Colorado: Colorado: 78. .
- 2002. Analysis of an intense winter extratropical cyclone that advanced along the south coast of Japan. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 80: 669–695. .
- 1991. Coupling development: an efficient mechanism for the development of extratropical cyclones. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 69: 609–628. .
- 1996. An observational study of cyclogenesis in the lee of the Japan Central Mountains. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 61: 39–53. , , , .
- 2002. Bathymetric effect on the winter sea surface temperature and climate of the Yellow and East China Seas. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 2228, DOI: 10.1029/2002GL015884. , , , , , .
- 1984. Numerical simulation of a rapidly developed extratropical cyclone (II): influence of latent heat release. Tenki 31: 357–362 (in Japanese). , , , .
- 2007. Impact of SST reanalyzed using OGCM on weather simulation: a case of a developing cyclone in the Japan-Sea area. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L05808, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL028386. , .
- 2004. A polar low over the Japan Sea on 21 January 1997. Part II: A numerical study. Monthly Weather Review 132: 1537–1551. , , , .
- 1995. Rotation of binary cyclones—A data analysis study. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 52: 1357–1369. , .
- 2003. Rotation of mid-latitude binary cyclones: a potential vorticity approach. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 76: 189–202. , .