Stochastic single-site generation of daily and monthly rainfall in the Middle East
Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 111–117, March 2012
How to Cite
Mhanna, M. and Bauwens, W. (2012), Stochastic single-site generation of daily and monthly rainfall in the Middle East. Met. Apps, 19: 111–117. doi: 10.1002/met.256
- Issue online: 2 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 17 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 5 NOV 2010
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 19: 716–723, DOI: 10.1109/TAC.1974.1100705. .
- 2000. Improvements of stochastic weather data generators for diverse climates. Climate Research 14: 75–87. .
- 1977. Precipitation as a chain-dependent process. Journal of Applied Meteorology 16: 671–676. .
- 1981. On some criteria for estimating the order of a Markov chain. Technometrics 23: 243–249, DOI: 10.2307/1267787. .
- 1985. Probabilistic models. In Probability, Statistics, and Decision Making in the Atmospheric Sciences, Murphy AH, Katz RW (eds). Westview Press: Boulder, CO; 261–288. .
- 1998. Overdispersion phenomenon in stochastic modeling of precipitation. Journal of Climate 11: 591–601. , .
- 2009. Using MODAWEC to generate daily weather data for the EPIC model. Environmental Modelling and Software 24: 655–664, DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2008.10.008. , , , .
- 2009. Assessment of a single-site daily rainfall generator in the Middle East. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Environmental and Computer Science, Werner Bob (ed.). IEEE Computer Society: Dubai, UAE; 14–18, DOI: 10.1109/ICECS.2009.19. , .
- 2003. A markov chain simulation model for predicting critical wet and dry spells in Kenya: analysing rainfall events in the kano plains. Irrigation and Drainage 52: 327–342, DOI: 10.1002/ird.094. , .
- 1981. Stochastic simulation of daily precipitation, temperature, and solar radiation. Water Resources Research 17: 182–190, DOI: 10.1029/WR017i001p00182. .
- 1999. A nonparametric approach for daily rainfall simulation. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 48: 361–371, DOI: 10.1016/S0378-4754(99)00016-6. , .
- 2002. Evaluation of two daily rainfall data generation models. Technical Report 02/14, Cooperative Research Centre for Catchment Hydrology: Victoria, Australia. , , .
- 2003. Stochastic models for generating annual, monthly and daily rainfall and climate data at a site. Technical Report 03/16, Cooperative Research Centre for Catchment Hydrology: Victoria, Australia. , .
- 2005. Comparison of two approaches for generation of daily rainfall data. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 19: 215–226, DOI: 10.1007/s00477-004-0226-0. , , , .
- 1985. Stochastic generation of rainfall and evaporation data. Technical Report 84, Australian Water Resources Council, Department of Resources and Energy: Canberra, Australia. , .
- 2001. Stochastic generation of annual, monthly and daily climate data: a review. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 5: 653–670, DOI: 10.5194/hess-5-653-2001. , .
- 2009. A nested multisite daily rainfall stochastic generation model. Journal of Hydrology 371: 142–153, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.03.025. , .
- 1958. A note on the gamma distribution. Monthly Weather Review 86: 117–122. .
- 2009. Is daily precipitation Gamma-distributed?: adverse effects of an incorrect use of the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test. Atmospheric Research 93: 759–766, DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2009.03.005. , .
- 2005. Stochastic modelling of daily precipitation for Canada. Atmosphere Ocean 43: 23–32. , , .
- 2002. A daily and monthly mixed model algorithm for stochastic generation of rainfall time series. 27th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, Melbourne, Australia. , .
- 2007. A method for coupling daily and monthly time scales in stochastic generation of rainfall series. Journal of Hydrology 346: 122–130, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.09.003. , .
- 1999. Simultaneous stochastic simulation of daily precipitation, temperature and solar radiation at multiple sites in complex terrain. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 96: 85–101, DOI: 10.1016/S0168-1923(99)00037-4. .
- 2006. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: San Diego, CA. .
- 1999. The weather generation game: a review of stochastic weather models. Progress in Physical Geography 23: 329–357, DOI: 10.1177/030913339902300302. , .
- 1992. Modelling daily precipitation—progress and problems. In Statistics in the Environmental and Earth Sciences, Walden AT, Guttorp P (eds). Edward Arnold: London, United Kingdom; 71–89. .
- 2008. Mixture model of generalized chain-dependent processes and its application to simulation of interannual variability of daily rainfall. Journal of Hydrology 349: 191–199, DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.10.061. , .