Quantifying the impact of adding gap filling radar data on forecaster wind assessments, warnings, and confidence
Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 355–370, September 2012
How to Cite
Rude, D. J., Bass, E. J. and Philips, B. (2012), Quantifying the impact of adding gap filling radar data on forecaster wind assessments, warnings, and confidence. Met. Apps, 19: 355–370. doi: 10.1002/met.269
- Issue online: 3 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 7 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 13 NOV 2010
- 2002. Warning decision making: the relative roles of conceptual models, technology, strategy, and forecaster expertise on 3 May 1999. Weather and Forecasting 17: 559–566. , , .
- 1996. A comparison of Tornado warning lead times with and without NEXRAD Doppler Radar. Weather and Forecasting 11: 47–52. , .
- 2007. The structure of tornadoes near Attica, Kansas, on 12 May 2004: high-resolution, mobile, Doppler radar observations. Monthly Weather Review 135: 475–506. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Evaluation of Distributed collaborative adaptive sensing for detection of low-level circulations and implications for severe weather warning operations. Weather and Forecasting 25: 173–189. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Improved detection of severe storms using experimental fine-resolution WSR-88D measurements. Weather and Forecasting 20: 3–14. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Weather forecasting by humans—heuristics and decision making. Weather and Forecasting 19: 1115–1126. .
- 1978. Confidence in judgment: persistence of the illusion of validity. Psychological Review 85: 395–416. , .
- 1982. Subjective confidence in forecasts. Journal of Forecasting 1: 155–172. , .
- 1989. The evolution of severe thunderstorm criteria within the weather service. Weather and Forecasting 4: 585–592. .
- 1993. The weather information and skill experiment (WISE): the effect of varying levels of information on forecast skill. Weather and Forecasting 8: 25–36. , , , .
- 2008. Rapid sampling of severe storms by the National Weather Radar Testbed Phased Array Radar. Weather and Forecasting 23: 808–824. , , , , .
- 1999. Overconfidence: it depends on how, what, and whom you ask. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 79: 216–247. , , , .
- 1993. A description of the initial set of analysis products available from the NEXRAD WSR-88D system. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 74: 1293–1311. , .
- 2007. The warning decision support system–integrated information. Weather and Forecasting 22: 596–612. , , , .
- 2009. Short-wavelength technology and the potential for distributed networks of small radar systems. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 90: 1797–1817. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Weather radar coverage over the contiguous United States. Weather and Forecasting 17: 927–934. , , , .
- 2010. Examining the use of weather forecasts in decision scenarios: results from a US survey with implications for uncertainty communication. Meteorological Applications 17: 149–162. , , .
- 1977. Reliability of subjective probability forecasts of precipitation and temperature. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C (Applied Statistics) 26: 41–47. , .
- 1984. Probability forecasting in meteorology. Journal of the American Statistical Association 79: 489–500. , .
- 2009. Uncertainty forecasts improve decision making among nonexperts. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making 3: 209–227. , .
- National Weather Service Radar Operations Center. 2009. Build10FAQ. NOAA Radar Operations Center: Norman, OK; http://www.roc.noaa.gov/NWS_Level_2/BuildInfo/Build10FAQ.aspx (accessed 4 March 2009).
- NOAA. 2009. Summary of Natural Hazard Statistics for 2008 in the United States. Office of Climate, Water, and Weather Services. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats/sum08.pdf (accessed 5 November 2009).
- 1965. Overconfidence in case-study judgments. Journal of Consulting Psychology 29: 261–265. .
- 2008. Distributed collaborative adaptive sensor networks for remote sensing applications. American Control Conference, 2008, Seattle, WA; 4167–4172. , , , , , .
- 2008. Evaluation of the CASA system in the NOAA Hazardous Weather Test Bed. 24th Conference on IIPS, New Orleans, LA. p 9A.9. http://ams.confex.com/ams/88Annual/techprogram/paper_135360.htm (accessed 17 June 2011). , , , , .
- 1994. National weather service warning performance based on the WSR-88D. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 75: 203–214. , , , .
- 1995. Anatomy of an effective warning: event anticipation, data integration, feature recognition. Preprints 14th Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting. AMS: Dallas; 420–425. , .
- Raytheon Company. 2009. Raytheon: advanced weather information processing system. http://awips.raytheon.com (accessed 5 January 2009).
- 2009. Impact of increased spatio-temporal radar data resolution on forecaster wind assessments. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, San Antonio, TX; 349–354. , , .
- 2001. Improving reliability of judgmental forecasts. In Principles of Forecasting, Armstrong JS (ed.). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Hingham, MA; 81–106. .
- 1992. Effects of improved information on the components of skill in weather forecasting. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 53: 107–134. , , , .
- 1994. Seven components of judgmental forecasting skill: implications for research and the improvement of forecasts. Journal of Forecasting 13: 579–599. , .
- 2008. The experimental warning program 2008 spring experiment at the NOAA Hazardous Weather Testbed. 24th Conference on Severe Local Storms, American Meteorological Society, Savannah, GA. http://ams.confex.com/ams/24SLS/techprogram/paper_141712.htm (accessed 17 June 2011). , , , .
- University of Oklahoma Board of Regents. 2009. Oklahoma Mesonet//Instruments//WMAX. http://www.mesonet.org/instruments/WMAX.php (accessed 5 January 2009).
- 2008. recordMyDesktop Version 0.3.7.3. http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net (accessed 21 October 2008). , .
- 2008. Meteorological command & control: architecture and performance evaluation. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2008, IGARSS 2008, IEEE International, Vol. 5; V-152–V-155. , , , , , , .