Optimization of winter road maintenance energy costs in Sweden: a critique of site specific frost warning techniques
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 443–453, December 2012
How to Cite
Riehm, M. and Nordin, L. (2012), Optimization of winter road maintenance energy costs in Sweden: a critique of site specific frost warning techniques. Met. Apps, 19: 443–453. doi: 10.1002/met.275
- Issue online: 6 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 9 NOV 2010
- 2005. An attempt to define the Road Climate Room. Meteorological Applications 12: 357–370. , , .
- 2011. The use of a temporal analogue to predict future traffic accidents and winter road conditions in Sweden. Meteorological Applications 18: 125–136. , .
- 2010. Relevance of measuring the humidity immediately above the road. Conference Proceeding of the Standing International Road Weather Commission 2010. Quebec, Canada. , .
- 2001. Temperature differences in the air layer close to a road surface. Meteorological Applications 8: 385–395. , , .
- 2006. A geomatics-based road surface temperature prediction model. Science of the Total Environment 360: 68–80. , .
- 1999. The applicability of similarity theory to a road surface. Meteorological Applications 6: 81–88. , , .
- 2001. Regional influence on the occurrences of road slipperiness during winter precipitation events. Meteorological Applications 8: 449–460. .
- 2004. Modeling exposure of roadside environment to airborne salt: case study. Transportation Research Circular 6: 296–306. , .
- 1999. Thermal mapping—a technique for road climatological studies. Meteorological Applications 6: 385–394. .
- 1991. Infrared thermography in applied road climatological studies. International Journal of Remote Sensing 12: 1811–1828. , .
- 2002. Measurement of road climatological variables. Conference Proceeding of the Standing International Road Weather Commission 2002. Sapporo, Japan. , .
- 2005. Dynamic salting route optimisation using evolutionary computation. Proceedings of the 2005 Congress of Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 1; 145–150. , , .
- 2006. Robust route optimisation for gritting/salting trucks: a CERCIA experience. Computational Intelligence Magazine 1(1): 6–9. , , .
- 2009. Road status sensors a comparison of active and passive sensors. 16th ITS World Congress and Exhibition on Intelligent Transport Systems and Services, Accession # 01149593. Stockholm, Sweden. .
- 1994. Energy balance analysis of nighttime leaf temperatures and frost formation in a subalpine environment. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 71: 359–372. , .
- 1999. Temperature differences in the air layer close to the road surface. Published in PhD thesis, Department of Earth Sciences, Göteborg, A42 ISSN-1400-3813. .
- 2001. Prediction of hoar-frost by use of a road weather information system. Meteorological Applications 8: 95–105. .
- 2003. Evaluation of a frost accumulation model. Meteorological Applications 10: 337–343. , , , , .
- 2000. A frost assessment method for mountainous areas. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 102: 51–67. , , .
- 2003. Predicting weather and road conditions: integrated decision-support tool for winter road-maintenance operations. Journal of the Transportation Reasearch Board 1824: 98–105. , .
- 2001. Relationships between road slipperiness, trafficaccident risk and winter road maintenance activity. Climate Research 15: 185–193. , , .
- NTM-Calc. 2010. Version 1.9.9 © 2002–2003 NTM. http://www.ntmcalc.se (accessed 07 September 2010).
- 1987. Boundary Layer Climates, 2nd edn. Methuen & Co. Ltd.; 67. .
- 2007. A survey of models and algorithms for winter road maintenance Part IV: vehicle routing and fleet sizing for plowing and snow disposal. Computers & Operations Research 34: 258–294. , , .
- 2006. Deployment of maintenance decision support systems for winter operations. Transportation Research Circular E-C098: Maintenance Management 2006, Proceedings from the 11th AASHTO-TRB Maintenance Management Conference, Charleston, SC. , , .
- 2004. Observation and simulation of dew in rural and urban environments. Progress in Physical Geography 28: 76–94. .
- 1992. A numerical model for prediction of road temperature and ice. Journal of Applied Meteorology 31: 1499–1506. .
- SMHI. 2010. Väster Götalands klimat. (In Swedish). http://www.smhi.se (accessed 10 September 2010).
- 2001. Life Cycle Assessement of Road. IVL Report B1210E. .
- 2007. Training urban bus drivers to promote smart driving: a note on a Greek eco-driving pilot program. Transportation Research Part D 12: 449–451. , , .