Special Issue Article
The spatial and temporal sampling errors inherent in low resolution radar estimates of rainfall
Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Sensing the weather
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 354–360, September 2011
How to Cite
Shucksmith, P. E., Sutherland-Stacey, L. and Austin, G. L. (2011), The spatial and temporal sampling errors inherent in low resolution radar estimates of rainfall. Met. Apps, 18: 354–360. doi: 10.1002/met.279
- Issue online: 22 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 12 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2011
- 1997. Use of a weather radar for the hydrology of a mountainous area. Part I: radar measurement interpretation. Journal of Hydrology 193: 1–25. , , , .
- 1999. Systematic variation of drop size and radar-rainfall relations. Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres 104: 6155–6169. , , , , .
- 1973. Radar Observation of the Atmosphere. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL. .
- 2003. Radar rainfall error variance and its impact on radar rainfall calibration. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 28: 27–39. , , .
- 1997. Radar rainfall estimation for ground validation studies of the tropical rainfall measuring mission. Journal of Applied Meteorology 36: 735–747. , , , , , , .
- 1992. The accuracy of rainfall estimates by radar as a function of range. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 435–453. , , .
- 1994. High resolution rainfall measurements by radar for very small basins: the sampling problem reexamined. Journal of Hydrology 161: 415–428. , , , .
- 1974. Accuracy of radar-derived rainfall measurements in hilly terrain. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 100: 331–350. , , .
- 2000. Sampling errors in radar estimates of rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres 105: 2247–2257. , , .
- 1995. The application of radar-gauge comparisons to operational precipitation profile corrections. Journal of Applied Meteorology 34: 2612–2630. , .
- 1992. Representativeness errors in comparisons between radar and gauge measurements of rainfall. Journal of Hydrology 134: 13–33. , .
- 1994. Real-time correction of weather radar data for the effects of bright band, range and orographic growth in widespread precipitation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 120: 1231–1254. , , .
- 1948. The distribution of raindrops with size. Journal of Meteorology 5: 165–166. , .
- 1995. The uncertainty of simple spatial averages using rain gauge networks. Water Resources Research 31: 2011–2017. , , , .
- 1998. Temporal sampling requirements for automatic rain gauges. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 15: 1253–1260. .
- 2005. Sampling errors in rainfall measurements by weather radar. Advances in Geosciences 2: 151–155. , .
- 1996. Uncertainty of estimates of monthly areal rainfall for temporally sparse remote observations. Water Resources Research 32: 373–388. .
- 2010. High resolution observation of a small tornado, Ardmore, New Zealand. Weather and Climate 30: 46–53. , , .
- 1991. The effect of range on the radar measurement of rainfall. Hydrological Applications of Weather Radar pp 296–304. Ellis Horwood: New York, NY. , .
- 1953. On the measurement of precipitation intensity by radar. Journal of Meteorology 10: 66–67. .
- 2010. Random Fields: Analysis and Synthesis (Revised and Expanded New Edition). World Scientific Publishing Company: Singapore. .
- 1999. Evidence of dynamic scaling in space-time rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres 104: 31599–31610. , , .
- 2010. Review of the different sources of uncertainty in single polarization radar-based estimates of rainfall. Surveys in Geophysics 31: 107–129. , .
- 2008. Rainfall and sampling uncertainties: a rain gauge perspective. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: D11102, DOI: 10.1029/2007 JD009214. , , , .
- 1982. The quantitative interpretation of weather radar measurements. Atmosphere-Ocean 20: 158–180. .