A long-term assessment of precipitation forecast skill using the Fractions Skill Score
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2011
Copyright © 2011 British Crown Copyright, the Met Office. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Special Issue: Progress and challenges in forecast verification. Guest editors: A. Ghelli, C. Coelho, M. Mittermaier and C. Power
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 176–186, June 2013
How to Cite
Mittermaier, M., Roberts, N. and Thompson, S. A. (2013), A long-term assessment of precipitation forecast skill using the Fractions Skill Score. Met. Apps, 20: 176–186. doi: 10.1002/met.296
- Issue online: 10 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 1 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 7 FEB 2011
- 2006. Sensitivity of several performance measures to displacement error, bias, and event frequency. Weather and Forecasting 21: 636–648. , .
- 2004. Environmental Statistics. Methods and Applications. John Wiley and Sons: Chichester, UK; 293 pp. .
- 2011. An observational study of the exceptional “Ottery St Mary” thunderstorm of 30 October 2008. Meteorological Applications 18(2): 137–154. .
- 2009. Neighborhood verification—a strategy for rewarding close forecasts. Weather and Forecasting 24(6): 1498–1510. .
- ECMWF. 2009. Annual Report. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/annual_report/2009/pdf/Annual-report-2009-small.pdf.
- 2007. A probability model for verifying deterministic forecasts of extreme events. Weather and Forecasting 22: 1089–1100. .
- 2009. Intercomparison of spatial forecast verification methods. Weather and Forecasting 24(5): 1416–1430. , , , , .
- 2010. Verifying forecasts spatially. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 91(10): 1365–1373. , , , .
- 2009. Exceptional hailstorm hits Ottery St Mary on 30 October 2008. Weather 64(10): 255–263. , , , , .
- 1969. Atmospheric predictability as revealed by naturally occurring analogues. Journal of Atmospheric Science 26: 636–646. .
- 2004. Flooding at Boscastle, Cornwall on 16 August 2004—A study of Met Office Forecasting Systems. Forecasting Technical Report 429. Exeter, UK; 46 pp. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Using an intensity-scale technique to assess the added benefit of high-resolution model precipitation forecasts. Atmopheric Science Letters 7(2): 35–42. .
- 2007. Improving short-range high-resolution model precipitation forecast skill using time-lagged ensembles. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 133: 1487–1500. .
- 2010. Inter-comparison of spatial forecast verification methods: identifying skillful spatial scales using the fractions skill score. Weather and Forecasting 25: 343–354. , .
- 1993. What is a good forecast? An essay on the nature of goodness in weather forecasting. Weather and Forecasting 8: 281–293. .
- 2008. Assessing the spatial and temporal variation in the skill of precipitation forecasts from an NWP model. Meteorological Applications 15: 163–169. .
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Monthly Weather Review 136: 78–96. , .
- 2010. A new equitable score suitable for verifying precipitation in numerical weather prediction. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 136: 1344–1363. , , , .
- 2005. Probabilistic precipitation forecasts from a deterministic model: a pragmatic approach. Meteorological Applications 12: 257–268. , , .
- 2006. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edn. Academic Press: Burlington, MA; 627 pp. .