Valuing information from mesoscale forecasts
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Forecast Verification
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 103–111, March 2008
How to Cite
Kok, K., Schreur, B. W. and Vogelezang, D. (2008), Valuing information from mesoscale forecasts. Met. Apps, 15: 103–111. doi: 10.1002/met.54
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 12 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2007
- 2003. Development of an events-oriented verification system using data mining and image processing algorithms. Preprints, Third Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications to Environmental Science. AMS: Long Beach, CA, CD-ROM, 4.6. , .
- 1967. Estimating probabilities. Monthly Weather Review 95: 570–576. , .
- 1950. Verification of forecasts expressed in terms of probabilities. Monthly Weather Review 78: 1–3. .
- 1997. Wavelets and field forecast verification. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1329–1341. , .
- 2000. Comparative forecast evaluation: graphical Gaussian models and sufficiency relations. Monthly Weather Review 128: 1912–1924. .
- 2004. A new intensity-scale approach for the verification of spatial precipitation forecasts. Meteorological Applications 11: 141–154. , , .
- 2002. Verification of precipitation forecasts over the Alpine region using a high-density observing network. Weather and Forecasting 17(2): 238–249. , , .
- 2006a. Object-based verification of precipitation forecasts. Part I: methodology and application to mesoscale rain areas. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1772–1784. , , .
- 2006b. Object-based verification of precipitation forecasts. Part II: application to convective rain systems. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1785–1795. , , .
- 2000. Removal of distortion error from an ensemble forecast. Monthly Weather Review 128: 3347–3351. , , .
- 2008. Fuzzy verification of high resolution gridded forecasts: a review and proposed framework. Meteorological Applications 15: 53–66. .
- 2000. Verification of precipitation in weather systems: determination of systematic errors. Journal of Hydrology 239: 179–202. , .
- 1972. The use of Model Output Statistics (MOS) in objective weather forecasting. Journal of Applied Meteorology 11: 1203–1211. , .
- 1991. Lectures and Papers Presented at the WMO Training Workshop on the Interpretation of NWP Products in Terms of Local Weather Phenomena and their Verification. Wageningen: The Netherlands. , , , .
- 2004. Ensemble re-forecasting: improving medium-range forecast skill using retrospective forecasts. Monthly Weather Review 132: 1434–1447. , , .
- 1995. Distortion representation of forecast errors. Monthly Weather Review 123: 2758–2770. , , , .
- 1997. Economic Value of Weather Forecasts. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 222. , .
- 2002. Using probabilities as a means to evaluate high resolution forecasts. SRNWP Mesoscale Verification Workshop 2001, De Bilt, The Netherlands, 68–72. .
- 1988. Model output statistics forecasts: three years of operational experience in The Netherlands. Monthly Weather Review 116: 1077–1090. , .
- 2001. A strategy for high-resolution ensemble prediction. II: limited-area experiments in four Alpine flood events. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 127: 2095–2115. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Using an intensity-scale technique to assess the added benefit of high-resolution model precipitation forecasts. Atmospheric Science Letters 7(2): 35–42. .
- 2007. Using time-lag ensemble techniques to assess the behaviour of high-resolution precipitation forecasts. Geophysical Research Abstracts 9: 08457. .
- 2001. A strategy for high-resolution ensemble prediction. I: definition of representative members and global-model experiments. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 127: 2069–2094. , , , , , .
- 1973. A new vector partition of the probability score. Journal of Applied Meteorology 12: 595–600. .
- 1977. The value of climatological, categorical and probabilistic forecasts in the cost-loss ratio situation. Monthly Weather Review 105: 803–816. .
- 1993. What is a good forecast? An essay on the nature of goodness in weather forecasting. Weather and Forecasting 8: 281–293. .
- 2004. Mesoscale verification using meteorological composites. Monthly Weather Review 132: 941–955. .
- 2005. Evaluation of heavy precipitation forecasts using composite-based methods: a distributions-oriented approach. Monthly Weather Review 133: 2163–2177. , , .
- 2001. Model error in weather forecasting. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 8: 357–371. , , , .
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Monthly Weather Review 136: 78–97. , .
- 2004. The boy who cried wolf revisited: the impact of false alarm intolerance on cost-loss scenarios. Weather and Forecasting 19: 391–397. , .
- 2005. Probabilistic forecasting of (severe) thunderstorms in the Netherlands using model output statistics. Weather and Forecasting 20: 134–148. , , .
- 2004. Evaluating mesoscale NWP models using kinetic energy spectra. Monthly Weather Review 132: 3019–3032. .
- 2005. Probabilistic precipitation forecasts from a deterministic model: a pragmatic approach. Meteorological Applications 12: 257–268. , , .
- 1962. Economic gains from scientific advances and operational improvements in meteorological prediction. Journal of Applied Meteorology 1: 13–17. .
- 2001. Scale issues in verification of precipitation forecasts. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 11,775–11,784. , , .
- 2006. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edn. Academic Press; 627. .
- 2002. The Canadian updateable model output statistics (UMOS) system: design and development tests. Weather and Forecasting 17: 206–222. , .
- 2000. Space-time rainfall organization and its role in validating quantitative precipitation forecasts. Journal of Geophysical Research 105(D8): 10,129–10,146. , , .