Seasonal forecasting of Ethiopian spring rains
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Forecast Verification
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 73–83, March 2008
How to Cite
Diro, G. T., Black, E. and Grimes, D. I. F. (2008), Seasonal forecasting of Ethiopian spring rains. Met. Apps, 15: 73–83. doi: 10.1002/met.63
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2007
- Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Award (DHPA)
- 1979. Statistical Analysis: A Computer Oriented Approach, 2nd edn. Academic press: New York. , .
- 2005. Tropical Meteorology, revised edn, Vol. 1. Praveen Printing Press: Pune, India. .
- 1997. Ethiopian use of ENSO information in its seasonal forecasts. Internet Journal of African Studies 2. .
- 1993. Interannual variability of rainfall in the eastern horn of Africa and indicators of the atmospheric circulations. International Journal of Climatology 13: 533–546. , .
- 2007. Interannual variability and ensemble forecast of Upper Blue Nile Basin Kiremt season precipitation. Journal of Hydrometeorology 8: 327–343. , .
- 2002. The East African March-May Rainy season: Associated Atmospheric dynamics and predictibility over the 1968–97 period. Journal of Climate 15: 1002–1019. , .
- 1977. Regression Analysis by Example. Wiley: New York. , .
- 1987. Some aspects of meteorological droughts in ethiopia. In Drought and Hunger in Africa: Denying Famine a Future, GlantzM (ed.). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 23–36. .
- 2004. Seasonal forecasting of the Ethiopian summer rains. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1345–1358. , , , .
- 2001. Quality control and homogeneity of precipitation data in the southwest of Europe. Journal of Climate 14: 1345–1358. , , , .
- 2004. Exploring the predictibility of the ‘short rains’ at the coast of East Africa. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1333–1343. , , .
- 1987. The characteristics of rainfall in ethiopia and its relationship to el-nino southern oscillation. Proceedings of First Technical Conference on Meteorological Research in Eastern and Southern Africa. Kenya Meteorological Department: Nairobi; 133–135. , , .
- 1977. Stepwise discriminant analysis. In Statistical Methods for Digital Computers, 3, EnsleinK, RalstonA, WilfHS (eds). Wiley: New York; 76–96. .
- 1987. Weather systems over ethiopia. Proceedings of First Technical Conference on Meteorological Research in Eastern and Southern Africa. Kenya Meteorological Department: Nairobi; 53–57. .
- 2003. On the ROC score of probability forecasts. Journal of Climate 16: 4145–4150. , .
- 2007. Predictibility of June-September Rainfall in Ethiopia. Monthly Weather Review 135: 628–650. , .
- 1999. Conditional probability, relative operating characterstics and relative operating levels. Weather and Forecasting 14: 713–725. , .
- 2001. Seasonal forecasting for climate hazards: prospect and responses. Natural Hazards 23: 171–196. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Towards the prediction of the East Africa short rains based on sea surface temperature-atmosphere coupling. International Journal of Climatology 18: 975–997. , , .
- 2006. Empirical prediction of Indian summer monsoon rainfall with different lead periods based on global SST anomalies. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 92: 33–43. , .
- 2002. Empirical predictibility study of October-December East African rainfall. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 128: 2239–2256. , , .
- 2003. Global analysis of Sea surface temperature, sea ice and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(d14):ACL 2-1–2-29. DOI: 10.1029/2002ID002670, 2003. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Characterization and variability of Kiremt rainy season over Ethiopia. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89: 153–180. , .
- 1998. The effect of the Southwest Indian Ocean tropical cyclones on Ethiopian drought. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1373–1388. , .
- 1991. Prediction of seasonal rainfall in the north nordeste of brazil using eigen vectors of sea surface temperature. International Journal of Climatology 11: 711–743. , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: London. .