Accounting for the effect of observation errors on verification of MOGREPS
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2008
© Crown Copyright 2008. Reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Special Issue: Forecast Verification
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 199–205, March 2008
How to Cite
Bowler, N. E. (2008), Accounting for the effect of observation errors on verification of MOGREPS. Met. Apps, 15: 199–205. doi: 10.1002/met.64
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 21 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2007
- 1996. A method for producing and evaluating probabilistic forecasts from ensemble model integrations. Journal of Climate 9: 1518–1530. .
- 2006. Explicitly accounting for observation error in categorical verification of forecasts. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1600–1606. .
- 2008. The MOGREPS short-range ensemble prediction system. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, submitted. , , , , .
- 2008. Impact of observational error on the validation of ensemble prediction systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, submitted. , .
- 1999. On the estimation of radar rainfall error variance. Advances in Water Resources 22: 585–595. , .
- 1993. Estimating observation error statistics for atmospheric data assimilation. Annales Geophysicae 11: 634–647. .
- 2005. Diagnosis of observation, background and analysis-error statistics in observation space. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 131: 3385–3386. , , , .
- 2001. Interpretation of rank histograms for verifying ensemble forecasts. Monthly Weather Review 129: 550–560. .
- 1997. Verification of eta-RSM short-range ensemble forecasts. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1312–1327. , .
- 2006. Measuring forecast skill: is it real skill or is it the varying climatology? Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 132: 2905–2923 . , .
- 2000. Decomposition of the continuous ranked probability score for ensemble prediction systems. Weather and Forecasting 15: 559–570. .
- 1999. Conditional probabilities, relative operating characteristics, and relative operating levels. Weather and Forecasting 14: 713–725. , .
- 2004. Effects of observation errors on the statistics for ensemble spread and reliability. Monthly Weather Review 132: 1487–1501. , , , .
- 2002. Some aspects of the improvement in skill of numerical weather prediction. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 128: 647–677. , .
- 2000. Use of the ‘odds ratio’ for diagnosing forecast skill. Weather and Forecasting 17: 221–232. .
- 1997. Evaluation of probabilistic prediction systems. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Predictability, ECMWF, Reading; 1–26. , , .
- 2000. Comments on “Probabilistic predictions of precipitation using the ECMWF ensemble prediction system”. Weather and Forecasting 15: 361–364. .