A spatial verification method applied to the evaluation of high-resolution ensemble forecasts
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Forecast Verification
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 125–143, March 2008
How to Cite
Marsigli, C., Montani, A. and Paccangnella, T. (2008), A spatial verification method applied to the evaluation of high-resolution ensemble forecasts. Met. Apps, 15: 125–143. doi: 10.1002/met.65
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 14 SEP 2007
- 2003. WGNE recommendations on verification methods for numerical weather prediction of weather elements and severe weather events. CAS/JSC WGNE Report. No. 18. .
- 1950. Verification of forecasts expressed in terms of probability. Monthly Weather Review 78: 1–3. .
- 2005. Evaluation of probabilistic prediction systems for a scalar variable. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 131: 2131–2150. , .
- 2000. Summary of the 1998 workshop on mesoscale model verification. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 809–819. , .
- 2006. Object-based verification of precipitation forecasts. Part I: methodology and application to mesoscale rain areas. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1772–1784. , , .
- 2008. Fuzzy verification of high resolution gridded forecasts: a review and proposed framework. Meteorological Applications, 15: 53–66. .
- 1969. A scoring system for probabilities of ranked categories. Journal of Applied Meteorology 8: 985–987. .
- 2000. Verifying precipitation forecasts using upscaled observations. ECMWF Newsletter 87: 9–17. , .
- 1999. Hypothesis tests for evaluating nemerical precipitation forecasts. Weather and Forecasting 14: 155–167. .
- 1996. A system simulation approach to ensemble prediction. Monthly Weather Review 124: 1225–1242. , , , .
- 2001. A strategy for High–Resolution Ensemble Prediction. Part II: Limited–area experiments in four Alpine flood events. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 127: 2095–2115. , , , , , , .
- 2005a. The COSMO–LEPS ensemble system: validation of the methodology and verification. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 12: 527–536. , , , .
- 2005b. Evaluation of the performance of the COSMO-LEPS system. COSMO Technical Report No. 8, 40, Available at http://www.cosmo-model.org/public/techReports.htm. , , , , , .
- 2006. Verification of the COSMO-LEPS new suite in terms of precipitation distribution. COSMO Newsletter 6: 134–141, Available at http://www.cosmo-model.org/public/newsLetters.htm. , , .
- 1999. Conditional probabilities, relative operating characteristics and relative operating levels. Weather and Forecasting 14: 713–725. , .
- 2002. Does increasing horizontal resolution produce more skillful forecasts? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 407–430. , , , .
- 1996. The ECMWF ensemble prediction system: methodology and validation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 122: 73–119. , , , .
- 2001. A strategy for High–Resolution Ensemble Prediction. Part I: definition of representative members and global model experiments. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 127: 2069–2094. , , , , , .
- 2003. Operational limited–area ensemble forecasts based on the Lokal Modell. ECMWF Newsletter Summer 2003 No. 98, 2–7. , , , , , , , , .
- 1973. A new vector partition of the probability score. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 12: 595–600. .
- 1993. What is a good forecast? An essay on the nature of goodness in weather forecasting. Weather and Forecasting 8: 281–293. .
- 2006. The COSMO consortium in 2005–2006. In Newsletter of the 28th EWGLAM and 13th SRNWP Meetings, ZurichCH (ed.). MeteoSwiss; 31–41. .
- 2004. Evaluating mesoscale NWP models using kinetic energy spectra. Monthly Weather Review 132: 3019–3032. .
- 2003. Meso-gamma scale forecasts using the nonhydrostatic model LM. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 82: 75–96. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Evaluation of probabilistic prediction systems. In Proceedings of the ECMWF Workshop on Predictability, Reading, 20–22 October 1997, 372. , , .
- 2006. The attributes of forecast systems: a general framework for the evaluation and calibration of weather forecasts. Predictability of Weather and Climate. Cambridge University Press; 718. , , .
- 1993. Operational ensemble prediction at the National Meteorological Centre: Practical Aspects. Weather and Forecasting 8: 379–398. , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: New York; 467. .
- 2000. Space-time rainfall organization and its role in validating quantitative precipitation forecasts. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 10129–10146. , , .