The contributions of Nigel M. Roberts and Richard M. Forbes was written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK, and Daniel Boswell at the Environment Agency, UK, and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland
Use of high-resolution NWP rainfall and river flow forecasts for advance warning of the Carlisle flood, north-west England
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society, © Crown Copyright 2008.
Special Issue: Flood Forecasting and Warning
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 23–34, March 2009
How to Cite
Roberts, N. M., Cole, S. J., Forbes, R. M., Moore, R. J. and Boswell, D. (2009), Use of high-resolution NWP rainfall and river flow forecasts for advance warning of the Carlisle flood, north-west England. Met. Apps, 16: 23–34. doi: 10.1002/met.94
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAR 2008
- 1977. Orographic rainfall in warm sectors of depressions. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 103: 269–280. , .
- 2001. Multiquadric equations and optimal areal rainfall estimation. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 6(6): 498–505. .
- 1980. Structure, mechanism and prediction of orographically enhanced rain in Britain. In Orographic Effects in Planetary Flows, GARP Publication Series No. 23, HideR, WestPW (eds). WMO: Geneva; 85–114. .
- 2008. Hydrological modelling using raingauge- and radar-based estimators of areal rainfall. Journal of Hydrology 358: 159–181. , .
- 2005. A new dynamical core for the Met Office's global and regional modelling of the atmosphere. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 131: 1759–1782. , , , , , , .
- Environment Agency. 2005. Dealing with Flooding—A Review of the Floods in Northern England and North Wales January 2005. Environment Agency: Bristol; 17.
- Environment Agency. 2006. Cumbria Floods Technical Report. Factual report on meteorology, hydrology and impacts of January 2005 flooding in Cumbria, Report of team consisting of Black & Veatch, Met Office and Environment Agency, November 2006, 168, (Available from http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk, Product Code GENW1106BLSF-E-E.).
- Environment Agency. 2007. Eden Flood Forecasting Model Update: Phase I. Environment Agency: Warrington; 28, plus Appendices.
- 2001. MOSES 2.2 Technical Documentation. Hadley Centre Technical Report No. 30, Hadley Centre Met Office: Bracknell. , , .
- 1998. Nimrod: a system for generating automated very short range forecasts. Meteorological Applications 5(1): 1–16. .
- 1990. A mass flux convection scheme with representation of cloud ensemble characteristics and stability-dependent closure. Monthly Weather Review 118: 1483–1506. , .
- 2000. Improving precipitation estimates from weather radar using quality control and correction techniques. Meteorological Applications 7: 135–144. , , .
- 1981. Radar and rain-gauge observations of orographic rain over south Wales. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 107: 643–670. , , .
- 1997. A latent heat nudging scheme for the assimilation of precipitation data into an operational mesoscale model. Meteorological Applications 4: 269–277. , .
- 2002. Simulation of orographic rainfall in South Wales with UM Version 5.2. Internal Report No. 136, Joint Centre for Mesoscale Meteorology, University of Reading: UK, (Available on loan from National Meteorological Library, Met Office, Exeter, UK). .
- 2000. A new boundary layer mixing scheme. Part 1: scheme description and single-column model tests. Monthly Weather Review 128: 3187–3199. , , , , .
- 2000. The Met. Office global three-dimensional variational data assimilation scheme. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 2991–3012. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Meteorological Office. 2007. Forecasters' reference book. (Revision of 1993 edition), Meteorological Office: Bracknell.
- 1985. The probability-distributed principle and runoff production at point and basin scales. Hydrological Sciences Journal 30(2): 273–297. .
- 1999. Real-time flood forecasting systems: perspectives and prospects. In Floods and Landslides: Integrated Risk Assessment, CasaleR, MargottiniC (eds). Springer: Berlin; 147–189, Chap. 11. .
- 2007. The PDM rainfall–runoff model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 11(1): 483–499. .
- 2007. Spatio-temporal rainfall datasets and their use in evaluating the extreme event performance of hydrological models, R& D project FD2208, Report to the Environment Agency and Defra, CEH Wallingford, 259. , , , .
- 1989. London weather radar local calibration study: final report. Contract Report Prepared for the National Rivers Authority Thames Region, September 1989. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford; 85. , , , .
- 1988. High-order low-pass implicit tangent filters for use in finite area calculations. Monthly Weather Review 116: 2132–2141. .
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Monthly Weather Review 136: 78–97. , .
- 2006. Soil state and surface hydrology diagnosis based on MOSES in the Met Office Nimrod nowcasting system. Meteorological Applications 13: 89–109. , , , , , .
- 2001. An evaluation of a high-resolution hydrometeorological modelling system for prediction of a cool-season flood event in a coastal mountainous watershed. Journal of Hydrometeorology 2: 161–180. , .
- 1999. A microphysically based precipitation scheme for the UK Meteorological Office Unified Model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 125: 1607–1636. , .