Michael Harrington and Elim Hong contributed equally to this work.
Comparative analysis of neurulation: First impressions do not count†
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Molecular Reproduction and Development
Special Issue: In Honor of E.E. Just
Volume 76, Issue 10, pages 954–965, October 2009
How to Cite
Harrington, M. J., Hong, E. and Brewster, R. (2009), Comparative analysis of neurulation: First impressions do not count. Mol. Reprod. Dev., 76: 954–965. doi: 10.1002/mrd.21085
- Issue online: 19 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2009
- 1996. Loss of occludin and functional tight junctions, but not ZO-1, during neural tube closure—Remodeling of the neuroepithelium prior to neurogenesis. Dev Biol 180: 664–679. , , .
- 1997. Neuroepithelial cells downregulate their plasma membrane polarity prior to neural tube closure and neurogenesis. Mech Dev 69: 71–81. , , , .
- 2008. Transitions between epithelial and mesenchymal states in development and disease. Semin Cell Dev Biol 19: 294–308. , , .
- 1993. Trends in neural tube defects 1980–1989. Med J Aust 158: 152–154. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of antibodies against N-cadherin and N-CAM on the cranial neural crest and neural tube. Dev Biol 153: 291–301. , , .
- 2000. The adhesion signaling molecule p190 RhoGAP is required for morphogenetic processes in neural development. Development (Cambridge, England) 127: 4891–4903. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Organization and development of the tail bud analyzed with the quail-chick chimaera system. Mech Dev 51: 51–65. , , .
- 2006. Planar cell polarity signalling couples cell division and morphogenesis during neurulation. Nature 439: 220–224. , , , , .
- 2009. Role of polarized cell divisions in zebrafish neural tube formation. Curr Opin Neurobiol: in press [Epub ahead of print]. .
- 2001. Towards a cellular and molecular understanding of neurulation. Dev Dyn 221: 117–145. , .
- 1998. Oriented cell divisions and cellular morphogenesis in the zebrafish gastrula and neurula: A time-lapse analysis. Development (Cambridge, England) 125: 983–994. , .
- 2005. Neurulation in the cranial region—Normal and abnormal. J Anat 207: 623–635. .
- 2003. The genetic basis of mammalian neurulation. Nat Rev Genet 4: 784–793. , , .
- 1999. Neural tube closure in Xenopus laevis involves medial migration, directed protrusive activity, cell intercalation and convergent extension. Development (Cambridge, England) 126: 4547–4556. , .
- 2004. N-cadherin in the spotlight of cell-cell adhesion, differentiation, embryogenesis, invasion and signalling. Int J Dev Biol 48: 463–476. , .
- 1990. The effects of N-cadherin misexpression on morphogenesis in Xenopus embryos. Neuron 4: 493–506. , , .
- 2005. Epithelial cell polarity genes are required for neural tube closure. Am J Med Genet 135C: 42–47. , .
- 2002. Tubulogenesis in the developing mammalian kidney. Trends Cell Biol 12: 390–395. .
- 2009. Spatio-temporal control of neural epithelial cell migration and epithelium-to-mesenchyme transition during avian neural tube development. Dev Growth Differ 51: 25–44. , , , .
- 2000. Monopolar protrusive activity: A new morphogenic cell behavior in the neural plate dependent on vertical interactions with the mesoderm in Xenopus. Dev Biol 224: 3–19. , .
- 1997. Cellular mechanism underlying neural convergent extension in Xenopus laevis embryos. Dev Biol 191: 243–258. , , .
- 2003. The midline (notochord and notoplate) patterns the cell motility underlying convergence and extension of the Xenopus neural plate. Dev Biol 256: 100–114. , , .
- 2006. The presumptive floor plate (notoplate) induces behaviors associated with convergent extension in medial but not lateral neural plate cells of Xenopus. Dev Biol 300: 670–686. , , .
- 1998. Blocking N-cadherin function disrupts the epithelial structure of differentiating neural tissue in the embryonic chicken brain. J Neurosci 18: 5415–5425. , .
- 2003. A 90-degree rotation of the mitotic spindle changes the orientation of mitoses of zebrafish neuroepithelial cells. Development (Cambridge, England) 130: 3767–3780. , , , .
- 1996. Brca1 deficiency results in early embryonic lethality characterized by neuroepithelial abnormalities. Nat Genet 12: 191–194. , , , , .
- 1992. The vertebrate tail bud: Three germ layers from one tissue. Anat Embryol 185: 101–113. , , .
- 2008. Formation of the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary constriction requires laminin-dependent basal constriction. Mech Dev 125: 974–983. , , , , .
- 2003. Shroom induces apical constriction and is required for hingepoint formation during neural tube closure. Curr Biol 13: 2125–2137. , , , .
- 2003. Concordia discors: Duality in the origin of the vertebrate tail. J Anat 202: 255–267.
- 2007. Cadherin-mediated adhesion regulates posterior body formation. BMC Dev Biol 7: 130. , , , .
- 1991. Neuronal determination without cell division in Xenopus embryos. Neuron 6: 499–515. , .
- 1986. Expression of N-cadherin adhesion molecules associated with early morphogenetic events in chick development. Nature 320: 447–449. , .
- 2005. The mesenchymal cell, its role in the embryo, and the remarkable signaling mechanisms that create it. Dev Dyn 233: 706–720. .
- 2005. Shroom regulates epithelial cell shape via the apical positioning of an actomyosin network. J Cell Sci 118: 5191–5203.
- 1999. Shroom, a PDZ domain-containing actin-binding protein, is required for neural tube morphogenesis in mice. Cell 99: 485–497. , .
- 2002. Organogenesis: Molecular mechanisms of tubulogenesis. Nat Rev Genet 3: 513–523. , .
- 1996. Sequence and developmental expression of AmphiDll, an amphioxus distal-less gene transcribed in the ectoderm, epidermis and nervous system: Insights into evolution of craniate forebrain and neural crest. Development (Cambridge, England) 122: 2911–2920. , , , .
- 2006. N-cadherin is required for the polarized cell behaviors that drive neurulation in the zebrafish. Development (Cambridge, England) 133: 3895–3905. , .
- 1995. Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defects. Genes Dev 9: 3136–3148. , , , , , .
- 1976. Changes in the shape of the developing vertebrate nervous system analyzed experimentally, mathematically and by computer simulation. J Exp Zool 197: 191–246. , .
- 2002. Shaping the vertebrate body plan by polarized embryonic cell movements. Science (New York, NY) 298: 1950–1954. .
- 1992. The cellular basis of the convergence and extension of the Xenopus neural plate. Dev Dyn 193: 199–217. , , .
- 2000. Mechanisms of convergence and extension by cell intercalation. Philos Trans R Soc Lond 355: 897–922. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mutations in VANGL1 associated with neural-tube defects. N Engl J Med 356: 1432–1437. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Phactr4 regulates neural tube and optic fissure closure by controlling PP1-, Rb-, and E2F1-regulated cell-cycle progression. Dev Cell 13: 87–102. , , , .
- 1994. Cell cycles and clonal strings during formation of the zebrafish central nervous system. Development (Cambridge, England) 120: 265–276. , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 1996. Prevalence of spina bifida at birth—United States, 1983–1990: A comparison of two surveillance systems. Mor Mortal Wkly Rep CDC Surveill Summ 45: 15–26. , .
- 1987. Synthetic peptides that mimic the adhesive recognition signal of fibronectin: Differential effects on cell-cell and cell-substratum adhesion in embryonic chick cells. Dev Biol 123: 411–420. , , .
- 2006. The epithelial-mesenchymal transition: New insights in signaling, development, and disease. J Cell Biol 172: 973–981. , , , .
- 2007. Shroom family proteins regulate gamma-tubulin distribution and microtubule architecture during epithelial cell shape change. Development (Cambridge, England) 134: 1431–1441. , , .
- 2002. Parachute/n-cadherin is required for morphogenesis and maintained integrity of the zebrafish neural tube. Development (Cambridge, England) 129: 3281–3294. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Strategies of vertebrate neurulation and a re-evaluation of teleost neural tube formation. Mech Dev 121: 1189–1197. , .
- 2005. Initial formation of zebrafish brain ventricles occurs independently of circulation and requires the nagie oko and snakehead/atp1a1a.1 gene products. Development (Cambridge, England) 132: 2057–2067. , .
- 2009. Characterization and classification of zebrafish brain morphology mutants. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 292: 94–106. , , , .
- 2003. Tube morphogenesis: Making and shaping biological tubes. Cell 112: 19–28. , .
- 2004. Morphogenesis: Shroom in to close the neural tube. Curr Biol 14: R150–R151. .
- 1977. Fine morphological study of neural tube formation in the teleost, Oryzias latipes. Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn 54: 97–120. , .
- 2008. Regulation of neurocoel morphogenesis by Pard6 gamma b. Dev Biol 324: 41–54. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Light- and electron-microscopic observations of the tail bud of the larval lamprey (Lampetra japonica), with special reference to neural tube formation. Am J Anat 170: 55–71. , .
- 2003. Tube morphogenesis: Closure, but many openings remain. Trends Cell Biol 13: 615–621. .
- 2009. A novel genetic mechanism regulates dorsolateral hinge-point formation during zebrafish cranial neurulation. J Cell Sci 122: 2137–2148. , , .
- 1994. Neurulation in the normal human embryo. Ciba Found Symp 181: 70–82; discussion 82–79. , .
- 1987. Differential deposition of basement membrane components during formation of the caudal neural tube in the mouse embryo. Development (Cambridge, England) 99: 509–519. .
- 1983. Fibronectin distribution during somitogenesis in the chick embryo. Cell Differ 13: 217–223. , , , .
- 1994. On the formation of the neural keel and neural tube in the zebrafish Danio (Brachydanio) rerio. Roux's Arch 203: 178–186. , .
- 1999. Region specific cell clones in the developing spinal cord of the zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol 209: 135–144. , .
- 1997. Developmental defects in mouse embryos lacking N-cadherin. Dev Biol 181: 64–78. , , , , , .
- 1990. Primary neurulation in teleosts—Evidence for epithelial genesis of central nervous tissue as in other vertebrates. J Hirnforsch 31: 153–158. , , .
- 2003. The protocadherin papc is involved in the organization of the epithelium along the segmental border during mouse somitogenesis. Dev Biol 254: 248–261. , , , , .
- 2005. Specification of the enveloping layer and lack of autoneuralization in zebrafish embryonic explants. Dev Dyn 232: 85–97. , , , .
- 1995. A subset of p53-deficient embryos exhibit exencephaly. Nat Genet 10: 175–180. , , , , , .
- 2004. Development of the posterior neural tube in human embryos. Anat Embryol 209: 107–117. , , , , .
- 1997. Role of nonrandomly oriented cell division in shaping and bending of the neural plate. J Comp Neurol 381: 473–488. , , .
- 1993. Neurulation in the anterior trunk region of the zebrafish Brachydanio rerio. Roux's Arch Dev Biol 202: 250–259. , , .
- 1979. Histological and ultrastructural observations of tail bud formation in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 193: 131–147. .
- 1984. Histological and ultrastructural studies of secondary neurulation in mouse embryos. Am J Anat 169: 361–376. .
- 1980. Ultrastructure of secondary neurulation in the chick embryo. Am J Anat 158: 43–63. , .
- 1980. Characterization of intercellular junctions in the caudal portion of the developing neural tube of the chick embryo. Am J Anat 158: 29–41. , .
- 1970. Neurulation in Xenopus laevis. An analysis and model based upon light and electron microscopy. J Embryol Exp Morphol 23: 427–462. .
- 1971. Mechanisms of morphogenesis: The embryonic neural tube. Int J Neurosci 2: 183–197. .
- 1994. Epidemiologic characteristics of phenotypically distinct neural tube defects among 0.7 million California births, 1983–1987. Teratology 49: 143–149. , , , .
- 1996. Regional differences in morphogenesis of the neuroepithelium suggest multiple mechanisms of spinal neurulation in the mouse. Anat Embryol 194: 65–73. , .
- 1997. Neurulation: Coming to closure. Trends Neurosci 20: 510–517. , .
- 2007. A mirror-symmetric cell division that orchestrates neuroepithelial morphogenesis. Nature 446: 797–800. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cadherins in embryonic and neural morphogenesis. Nat Rev 1: 91–100. , , , , .
- 2006. Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev 7: 131–142. , .
- 2003. Planar cell polarity genes and neural tube closure. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 69: 318–324. , .
- 2005. Neural tube closure and neural tube defects: Studies in animal models reveal known knowns and known unknowns. Am J Med Genet 135C: 59–68. .
- 2002. Neural tube closure requires Dishevelled-dependent convergent extension of the midline. Development (Cambridge, England) 129: 5815–5825. , .
- 2007. Tissue/planar cell polarity in vertebrates: New insights and new questions. Development (Cambridge, England) 134: 647–658. , .
- 2006. Dishevelled genes mediate a conserved mammalian PCP pathway to regulate convergent extension during neurulation. Development (Cambridge, England) 133: 1767–1778. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Pax3 induces cell aggregation and regulates phenotypic mesenchymal-epithelial interconversion. J Cell Sci 115: 517–529. , , .
- 2006. Essential requirement for Rho family GTPase signaling in Pax3 induced mesenchymal-epithelial transition. Cell Signal 18: 1501–1514. , , .
- 2003. Neural differentiation of caudal cell mass (secondary neurulation) in chick embryos: Hamburger and Hamilton stages 16–45. Brain Res 142: 31–36. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cooperation of polarized cell intercalations drives convergence and extension of presomitic mesoderm during zebrafish gastrulation. J Cell Biol 180: 221–232. , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse numb is an essential gene involved in cortical neurogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 6844– 6849. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cell polarity pathways converge and extend to regulate neural tube closure. Trends Cell Biol 13: 451–454. , , .