Role of Simulation in US Physician Licensure and Certification
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2012
© 2012 Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine: A Journal of Translational and Personalized Medicine
Volume 79, Issue 1, pages 140–153, January/February 2012
How to Cite
Levine, A. I., Schwartz, A. D., Bryson, E. O. and DeMaria Jr, S. (2012), Role of Simulation in US Physician Licensure and Certification. Mt Sinai J Med, 79: 140–153. doi: 10.1002/msj.21291
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2012
- 1American Medical Association. Becoming a physician. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/becoming-physician/medical-licensure.shtml. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 3National Board of Medical Examiners. http://www.nbme.org/about/index.html. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 4Medical licensing examinations in the United States. J Dent Educ 2002; 66: 595–599., ,
- 5National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners. http://www.nbome.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 6American Board of Medical Specialties. http://www.abms.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 7American Osteopathic Association. http://www.osteopathic.org/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 8American Board of Physician Specialties. http://www.abpsus.org/index.html. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 9American Board of Medical Specialties. Maintenance of Certification. http://www.abms.org/Maintenance_of_Certification. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 14From Resusci-Anne to Sim Man: the evolution of simulators in medicine. Crit Care Med 2004; 32: 556–557.,
- 15Dynamic simulation: a new tool for difficult airway training of professional healthcare providers. Am J Clin Anesth 2000; 27: 232–242.,
- 22Crisis Management in Anesthesiology. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone; 1994., ,
- 24Simulation-based training in anesthesia crisis resource management (ACRM): a decade of experience. Simul Gaming 2001; 32: 175–193., , , et al.
- 25http://www.actnt.com/ACLS_Anywhere.htm. Accessed December 20, 2010.eLearning.
- 42American Board of Anesthesiology. Publications. http://www.theaba.org/Home/publications. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 43Testing the instrument: internal consistency during evaluation of performance in an anesthesia simulator. Anesthesiology 1996; 85: A931., , , et al.
- 46Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Anesthesiology RRC newsletters. http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/RRC_040_news/040n_Index.asp. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 47American Board of Anesthesiology. Maintenance of certification in anesthesiology (MOCA). http://www.theaba.org/Home/anesthesiology_maintenance. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 49American Society of Anesthesiologists. Frequently asked questions about simulation courses offered for Part IV MOCA credit. http://www.asahq.org/For-Members/Education-and-Events/Simulation-Education/SEN-FAQs.aspx. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 50, , , et al. Simulation-based MOCA course optimization: use of multi-modality educational activities. J Clin Anesth; in press.
- 52Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery. http://www.flsprogram.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 53American Board of Thoracic Surgery. http://www.abts.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 54American Board of Urology. http://www.abu.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 55American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology. http://www.abog.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 56American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. http://www.abos.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 57American Board of Internal Medicine. http://www.abim.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 59American Board of Family Medicine. http://www.theabfm.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 60American Board of Emergency Medicine. http://www.abem.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 61American Board of Pediatrics. http://www.abp.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 62American Board of Radiology. http://www.theabr.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 64http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/04/transcripts/4033t.htm. Accessed December 20, 2010.and Drug Administration.
- 67American College of Surgeons. Program for Accreditation of Education Institutes. http://www.facs.org/education/accreditationprogram/index.html. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 69American Society of Anesthesiologists. Simulation education. http://www.asahq.org/For-Members/Education-and-Events/Simulation-Education.aspx. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 70Society for Simulation in Healthcare. http://ssih.org/cats-accreditation. Accessed December 20, 2011.
- 71Simulation Accreditation and Consultation Work Group on behalf of the SAEM Technology in Medical Education Committee. Simulation center accreditation and programmatic benchmarks: a review for emergency medicine. Acad Emerg Med 2010; 17: 1093–1103., , , et al.;
- 72Private listserv for Simulations Consortium. http://suse.acog.org/mailman/listinfo/simulations. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 73Association of American Medical Colleges. http://www.aamc.org. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 74Federation of State Medical Boards. Post-Licensure Assessment System (PLAS). http://www.fsmb.org/m_plas.html. Accessed December 20, 2010.
- 75for the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc., Committee on Continuing Medical Education and Remediation, Remediation Sub-Committee. The use of a human patient simulator in the evaluation of and development of a remedial prescription for an anesthesiologist with lapsed medical skills. Anesth Analg 2002; 94: 149–153., ;
- 76Patient safety and simulation-based medical education. Med Teach 2005; 22: 489–495., ,
- 83The performance of foreign medical graduates on the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) standardized patient examination prototype: a collaborative study of the NBME and the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Med Educ 1999; 33: 439–446., ,
- 85The world of civil simulators. Flight Intl 1978; 18: 435.
- 86The future of nuclear power plant simulation in the United States. In: Simulation for Nuclear Reactor Technology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1985.,