Guillain–Barré syndrome during childhood: Particular clinical and electrophysiological features
Version of Record online: 29 JUN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Muscle & Nerve
Volume 48, Issue 2, pages 247–251, August 2013
How to Cite
Devos, D., Magot, A., Perrier-Boeswillwald, J., Fayet, G., Leclair-Visonneau, L., Ollivier, Y., Nguyen The Tich, S. and Pereon, Y. (2013), Guillain–Barré syndrome during childhood: Particular clinical and electrophysiological features. Muscle Nerve, 48: 247–251. doi: 10.1002/mus.23749
- Issue online: 23 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 DEC 2012 05:12AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 DEC 2012
- acute immune demyelinating polyneuropathy;
- conduction block;
- EDx examination;
- Guillain–Barré syndrome;
Guillain–Barré syndrome (GBS) has some specific characteristics in children.
In this study we reviewed the clinical, laboratory, electrophysiological, and prognosis features of the 19 children diagnosed with GBS at Nantes University Hospital from 2000 to 2011.
Gait disturbance and leg pain were the most frequent presenting symptoms. Electrophysiological examinations revealed significant abnormalities even when performed within the first week after onset. Decreased distal CMAP amplitude was noted in 89% of cases. The pattern indicated an acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy in 95% of cases and acute motor axonal neuropathy in the remaining 5%. About two-thirds of the children were treated with intravenous immunoglobulin. After >1 year of follow-up, 17 patients had complete recovery.
Gait disorder, leg pain, a high rate of distal conduction block, and a good prognosis are among the main specific features of GBS in childhood. Muscle Nerve, 48: 247–251, 2013