Original Basic Science Article
The role of angiotensin II in stress urinary incontinence: A rat model
Article first published online: 6 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Neurourology and Urodynamics
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 81–88, January 2007
How to Cite
Phull, H., Salkini, M., Escobar, C., Purves, T. and Comiter, C. V. (2007), The role of angiotensin II in stress urinary incontinence: A rat model. Neurourol. Urodyn., 26: 81–88. doi: 10.1002/nau.20339
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 6 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2006
- The Warmer Foundation
- 2005. Short-term timecourse of bilateral pudendal nerve injury on leak-point pressure in female rats. J Rehabil Res Dev 42: 109–14. , , , et al.
- 1993. Pharmacology of lower urinary tract smooth muscles and penile erectile tissues. Pharmacol Rev 45: 253–08. .
- 1995. Nitric oxide synthase and the lower urinary tract: Possible implication for physiology and pathophysiology. Scand J Urol Nephrol 29: 43–53. , .
- 1992. Electrically induced, nerve-mediated relaxation of rabbit urethra involves nitric oxide. J Urol 147: 253–6. , , , et al.
- 1948. A simple sphincterometer. J Urol 60: 287–90. .
- 1999. The physiology of the mammalian urinary outflow tract. Exp Physiol 84: 215–21. .
- 1969. The urethral pressure profile. BJU 41: 211–7. , .
- 1995. Valsalva leak point pressures in women with genuine stress incontinence: Reproducibility, effect of catheter caliber, and correlations with other measures of urethral resistance. Continence program for women research group. Am J Obstet Gynecol 173: 551–7. , , , et al.
- 1995. Short-term and sustained renal effects of angiotensin II receptor blockade in healthy subjects. Hypertension 25: 602–9. , , , et al.
- 2001. Effects of anesthesia on cystometry and leak point pressure of the female rat. Life Sci 69: 1193–202. , .
- 1999. Role of angiotensin II in bladder smooth muscle growth and function. Adv Exp Med Biol 462: 183–91. , , .
- 1997a. Effect of angiotensin II on corpus cavernosum smooth muscle in relation to nitric oxide environment: In vitro studies in canines. Int J Impot Res 9: 135–40. , , , et al.
- 1997b. Retrograde leak point pressure for evaluating post-radical prostatectomy incontinence. Urol 49: 231–6. , , .
- 2003. Functional and neuroanatomical effects of vaginal distention and pudendal nerve crush in the female rat. J Urol 170: 1027–31. , , , et al.
- 1998. The adrenergic, cholinergic and NANC nerve-mediated contractions of the female rabbit bladder neck and proximal, medial and distal urethra. Br J Pharmacol 123: 1517–24. , , .
- 2003. Duloxetine versus placebo for the treatment of North American women with stress urinary incontinence. J Urol 170: 1259–63. , , , et al.
- 1991. Relaxation of sheep urethral muscle induced by electrical stimulation of nerves: Involvement of nitric oxide. Acta Physiol Scand 141: 531–6. , , , et al.
- 1997. The in vivo and in vitro effects of hypoxia on pig urethral smooth muscle. BJU 79: 525–31. , .
- 1999. Urethral afferent nerve activity affects the micturition reflex: Implication for the relationship between stress incontinence and detrusor instability. J Urol 162: 204–12. , , .
- 1997. Reorganization of somato-urethral reflexes following spinal cord injury in the rat. J Urol 158: 1562–67. , .
- 2000. Effects of pudendal nerve injury in the female rat. Neurourol Urodyn 19: 53–69. , , , et al.
- 1983. Non-cholinergic, non-adrenergic nerve mediated relaxation of trigone, bladder neck and urethral smooth muscle in vitro. J Urol 129: 848–51. , , , et al.
- 2005. Respective contribution of age, mean arterial pressure, and body weight on central arterial distensibility in SHR. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290: H1534–9. , , , et al.
- 1997. The effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition and angiotensin II receptor antagonism on obstructed rat bladder. J Urol 158: 1100–04. , , , et al.
- 2006. External urethral sphincter activity in a rat model of pudendal nerve injury. Neurourol Urodyn ePub ahead of print, April, 2006: 2–9. , , , et al.
- 2004. Discovery and population characterization of angiotensin receptors in the proximal urethra of the male mouse. Presented at the Western Section, American Urological Association, San Diego, CA. , , , et al.
- 1972. The vascular components in the production of intraurethral pressure. J Urol 108: 93–6. , , .
- 1989. Role of endothelium-derived nitric oxide in the regulation of blood pressure. Proc Natl Acad Sci 86: 3375–78. , , .
- 2005. New objective measures to quantify stress urinary incontinence in a novel durable animal model of intrinsic sphincter deficiency. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288: 1332–38. , , , et al.
- 2003. Ureteral function is modulated by a local renin-angiotensin system. J Urol 70: 259–63. , , , et al.
- 1999. Pharmacological management of incontinence. Eur Urol 36: 89–95. , .
- 1993. Angiotensin II receptors in the rat urinary bladder smooth muscle: Type 1 subtype receptors mediate contractile responses. J Urol 150: 1056–59. , , .
- 1969. Urethral resistance: Its components and implications. Inv Urol 7: 136–49. , , .
- 1997. Delivery and pudendal nerve function. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 76: 324–31. , , , et al.
- 1974. The vascular contribution to intraurethral pressure. BJU 46: 659–64. .
- 2005. Pelvic organ prolapse. Obstet Gynecol 106: 615–34. , .
- 1998. Converting enzyme determines plasma clearance of angiotensin-(1–7). Hypertension 32: 496–02. , , , et al.
- 1997. Action of autonomic drugs on the in vivo bladder base and proximal urethra in dog. Chin Med J 119: 173–6. , .