An overview of online charging in 3GPP networks: new ways of utilizing user, network, and service-related information
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Network Management
Volume 23, Issue 2, pages 81–100, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Grgic, T. and Matijasevic, M. (2013), An overview of online charging in 3GPP networks: new ways of utilizing user, network, and service-related information. Int. J. Network Mgmt., 23: 81–100. doi: 10.1002/nem.1816
- Issue online: 13 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 FEB 2012
- 11Diameter credit-control application. RFC 4006, 2005., , , , .
- 12Introduction to accounting management. RFC 2975, 2000., , .
- 13Vocabulary for 3GPP specifications. 3GPP TS 21.905, Rev. 10.2.0, 2010.
- 14Framework of a service level agreement. ITU-T Recommendation E.860, 2002.
- 15EQoS: a common framework for QoS/network performance in a multi-provider environment. EURESCOM Project P806-GI Deliverable 1, 1999.
- 16How new billing processes reshape the mobile industry. Info 2009; 11(1): 78–93., , , .
- 17A holistic solution for charging, billing and accounting in 4G mobile systems. In Proceedings of the 59th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 4, 2004; 2257–2260., .
- 18Charging, accounting and billing as a sophisticated and reconfigurable discrete service for next generation mobile networks. In Proceedings of the 56th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 4, 2002; 2342–2345., , .
- 19Adaptive charging, accounting, and billing system for the support of advanced business models for VAS provision in 3G systems. In Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications, Vol. 1, 2001; 55–59., , , .
- 20Policy-based accounting. RFC 3334, 2002., , .
- 21Policy and charging control architecture. 3GPP TS 23.203, Rev. 11.0.1, 2011.
- 22Towards simplified specification of policies in different domains. In Proceedings of the 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, 2007; 20–29., , .
- 23Terminology for policy-based management. RFC 3198, 2001., , , , , , , , , .
- 24Telecommunication management; charging management; charging architecture and principles. 3GPP TS 32.240, Rev. 11.2.0, 2011.
- 25Charging and accounting principles for NGN. ITU-T Recommendation D.271, 2008.
- 26Service aspects; charging and billing. 3GPP TS 22.115, Rev. 11.5.0, 2011.
- 27IP multimedia subsystem (IMS): Stage 2. 3GPP TS 23.228, Rev. 11.3.0, 2011.
- 28Telecommunication management; charging management; online charging system (OCS): Applications and interfaces. 3GPP TS 32.296, Rev. 11.2.0, 2011.
- 29Generic AAA architecture. RFC 2903, 2000., , , , .
- 30Diameter base protocol. RFC 3588, 2003., , , , .
- 31Remote authentication dial in user service (RADIUS). RFC 2865, 2000., , , .
- 32Diameter Maintenance and Extensions. IETF Workgroup. Available: https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dime/charter/ [17 February 2012].
- 33Overall high level functionality and architecture impacts of flow based charging; stage 2. 3GPP TS 23.125, Rev. 6.8.0, 2006.
- 35Evolution of policy control and charging (PCC) architecture for 3GPP evolved system architecture. In Proceedings of the 63rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 2006; 259–263., .
- 36Policy-based charging in IMS for multimedia services with negotiable QoS requirements. In 10th International Conference on Telecommunications (ConTEL), 2009; 257–264., , , .
- 39Efficient prepaid charging for the 3GPP IP multimedia subsystem (IMS). In Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology (IDPT), Vol. 1, 2006; 462–472., , , , .
- 40The evaluation of the efficient prepaid scheme TICA for all-IP networks and internet services. In Proceedings of the 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, 2007; 284–293., , .
- 41Towards a real time charging framework for complex applications in 3GPP IP multimedia system (IMS) environment. In Proceedings of the International Conference in Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services, and Technologies, 2007; 145–150., .
- 42Designing the rating function of 3GPP online charging system for IP multimedia subsystem. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Internet Multimedia Services Architecture and Applications (IMSAA), 2008; 1–6., .
- 47Resource authorization in IMS with known multimedia service adaptation capabilities. New Directions in Intelligent Interactive Multimedia, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Vol. 142, Tsihrintzis G, Virvou M, Howlett R, Jain L (eds). Springer: Berlin, 2008; 293–302., , .
- 49Online charging in IMS for multimedia services with negotiable QoS requirements based on service agreements. International Journal of Intelligent Information and Database Systems 2010; 4: 656–672., .
- 50The PCC rule in the 3GPP IMS policy and charging control architecture. In IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference GLOBECOM, 2008; 1–5., , , .
- 51Design and implementation of an extensible online charging architecture for the Open IMS playground. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructure for the Development of Networks and Communities, 2007; 1–5., .
- 52Business models for local mobile services enabled by convergent online charging. In Proceedings of the 16th IST Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit, 2007; 1–5., , .
- 53Third-party-initiated context-aware real-time charging and billing on an open SOA platform. In Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications: Workshops, 2008; 1375–1380., , , .
- 54Validated composition and compensation architecture. Ambient Networks Project, Deliverable D26-G.2, 2007.
- 60A service component-based accounting and charging architecture to support interim mechanisms across multiple domains. In Proceedings of the IFIP/IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium, Vol. 1, 2004; 555–568., , .
- 62Flexible charging for multi-provider composed services using a federated, two-phase rating process. In Proceedings of the 10th IFIP/IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium, 2006; 13–23., .
- 63Automating the generation, deployment and application of charging schemes for composed IMS services. In Proceedings of the 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, 2007; 856–859., .
- 64A probabilistic scheduling algorithm for providing proportional delay differentiation in content-based online charging system. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Communications and Networking in China, 2008; 794–798., , , , .
- 65A least common multiple capacity load-balancing algorithm for content-based online charging system in 3G networks. In Third International Conference on Communications and Networking in China, 2008; 548–552., , , , .
- 66Design of an online charging system to support IMS-based inter-domain composite services. Wired-Wireless Multimedia Networks and Services Management, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 5842. Springer: Berlin, 2009; 1–14., , , , .
- 67Online charging for IMS-based inter-domain composite services. In Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Internet Charging and QoS Technologies: Network Economics for Next Generation Networks, Springer: Berlin, 2009; 72–84., , , , .
- 68Exploring context based charging for composite services. In 14th International Conference on Intelligence in Next Generation Networks, 2010; 1–6., .
- 69Context-based application-aware pricing for composite mobile services in wireless networks. 2010 IFIP Wireless Days (WD), 2010; 1–5., .