The effects of social environment on adult neurogenesis in the female prairie vole
Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 51, Issue 2, pages 115–128, May 2002
How to Cite
Fowler, C. D., Liu, Y., Ouimet, C. and Wang, Z. (2002), The effects of social environment on adult neurogenesis in the female prairie vole. J. Neurobiol., 51: 115–128. doi: 10.1002/neu.10042
- Issue online: 27 MAR 2002
- Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2001
- NIH. Grant Numbers: MH54554, 58616, NRSA64352
- NIH Joint Neuroscience Predoctoral Training Grant. Grant Number: NS-07437
- 1991. Characterization of post-translational modifications in neuron-specific class III beta- tubulin by mass spectrometry. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 4685–4689. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Analysis of neurogenesis and programmed cell death reveals a self-renewing capacity in the adult rat brain. Neurosci Lett 291: 17–20. , , , .
- 1980. Granule cell genesis in the hippocampus of rats treated neonatally with hydrocortisone. Neuroscience 5: 2003–2012. .
- 1997. Newly-generated cells from the rostral migratory stream in the accessory olfactory bulb of the adult rat. Neuroscience 81: 489–502. , , , .
- 1993. Neurogenesis in adult canary telencephalon is independent of gonadal hormone levels. J Neurosci 13: 2024–2032. , , .
- 1994. Adult neurogenesis is regulated by adrenal steroids in the dentate gyrus. Neuroscience 61: 203–209. , .
- 2001. Adult neurogenesis produces a large pool of new granule cells in the dentate gyrus. J Comp Neurol 435: 406–417. , .
- 1998. Adrenal steroids and n-methyl-d-aspartate receptor activation regulate neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of adult rats through a common pathway. Neuroscience 82: 349–354. , , .
- 1993. Differentiation of newly born neurons and glia in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat. Neuroscience 56: 337–344. , , , .
- 1993. Monogamy and the prairie vole. Sci Am 268: 100–106. , .
- 1986. Relationships between social organization and behavioral endocrinology in a monogamous mammal. Adv Stud Behav 16: 109–145. , , .
- 1989. Hormonal correlates of sexual behavior and ovulation in male-induced and postpartum estrus in female prairie voles. Physiol Behav 46: 941–948. , , , , , .
- 1995. A cautionary note on the use of the TUNEL stain to determine apoptosis. Neuroreport 7: 61–64. , .
- 1987. Males increase serum estrogen and estrogen receptor binding in brain of female voles. Physiol Behav 39: 309–314. , .
- 1997. Amygdala but not hippocampal lesions impair olfactory memory for mate in prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster). Am J Physiol 273: R1683–1689. , , .
- 1995. Modulation of pair bonding in female prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster) by corticosterone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 7744–7748. , , , .
- 1987. The comparative psychology of monogamy. Nebr Symp Motiv 35: 1–50. .
- 1979. Ovarian hormones regulating sexual and social behaviors in female prairie voles, Microtus ochrogaster. Physiol Behav 23: 597–600. , .
- 2001. Regulation by the medial amygdala of copulation and medial preoptic dopamine release. J Neurosci 21: 349–355. , , , .
- 1998. Neurogenesis in the adult human hippocampus. Nat Med 4: 1313–1317. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Why we think plasticity underlying pavlovian fear conditioning occurs in the basolateral amygdala. Neuron 23: 229–232. , .
- 1999. Stress induces neurogenesis in non-neuronal cell cultures of adult olfactory epithelium. Neuroscience 88: 571–583. , , , , , .
- 1999. Sex and seasonal differences in the rate of cell proliferation in the dentate gyrus of adult wild meadow voles. Neuroscience 89: 955–964. , .
- 1996. Prairie vole partnerships. Am Sci 84: 56–62. , .
- 1987. Mating system and population fluctuations of the prairie vole, Microtus ochrogaster. Am Zool 27: 909–920. , , .
- 1998. Levels of trkA and BDNF mRNA, but not NGF mRNA, fluctuate across the estrous cycle and increase in response to acute hormone replacement. Brain Res 787: 259–268. .
- 1999a. Learning enhances adult neurogenesis in the hippocampal formation. Nat Neurosci 2: 260–265. , , , , .
- 1997. Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult tree shrew is regulated by psychosocial stress and NMDA receptor activation. J Neurosci 17: 2492–2498. , , , , .
- 1999b. Neurogenesis in the neocortex of adult primates. Science 286: 548–552. , , , .
- 1999. Pharmacological characterization of central and peripheral type I and type II adrenal steroid receptors in the prairie vole, a glucocorticoid-resistant rodent. Endocrinology 140: 4459–4469. , , , .
- 1995. Interaction of male sensory cues and estradiol in the induction of estrus in the prairie vole. Physiol Behav 58: 785–790. , .
- 1998. Photoperiod regulates neuronal bromodeoxyuridine labeling in the brain of a seasonally breeding mammal. J Neurobiol 36: 410–420. , , .
- 1995. A gender-specific mechanism for pair bonding: oxytocin and partner preference formation in monogamous voles. Behav Neurosci 109: 782–789. , .
- 1995. Mating and the monogamous male: behavioral consequences. Physiol Behav 57: 615–627. , , .
- 1992. The role of microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2) in neuronal growth, plasticity, and degeneration. J Neurosci Res 55: 505–512. , .
- 1993. Immunohistochemical localization of a neuron-specific β-tubulin isotype in the developing chicken ultimobranchial glands. Brain Res 628: 121–127. , , .
- 1977. Neurogenesis in the adult rat: electron microscopic analysis of light radioautographs. Science 197: 1092–1094. , .
- 1997. More hippocampal neurons in adult mice living in an enriched environment. Nature 386: 493–495. , , .
- 1998. Experience-induced neurogenesis in the senescent dentate gyrus. J Neurosci 18: 3206–3212. , , .
- 1996. Social isolation in animal models of relevance to neuropsychiatric disorders. Biol Psychiatry 40: 918–922. , .
- 1994. Axon-sparing lesions of the medial nucleus of the amygdala decrease affiliative behaviors in the prairie vole (Microtus ochrogaster): behavioral and anatomical specificity. Behav Neurosci 108: 501–513. , , , .
- 1995. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes the survival of neurons arising from the adult rat forebrain subependymal zone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 210–214. , .
- 1996. Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat: age-related decrease of neuronal progenitor proliferation. J Neurosci 16: 2027–2033. , , .
- 2001. Expression and estrogen regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and protein in the forebrain of female prairie voles. J Comp Neurol 433: 499–514. , , , , , .
- 1993. Restricted proliferation and migration of postnatally generated neurons derived from the forebrain subventricular zone. Neuron 11: 173–189. .
- 1994. Rate and pattern of migration of linearly-related olfactory bulb interneurons generated postnatally in the subventricular zone of the rat. Chem Senses 19: 695–714. , .
- 2000. Induction of neurogenesis in the neocortex of adult mice. Nature 405: 951–955. , , .
- 1995. The division of neuronal progenitor cells during migration in the neonatal mammalian forebrain. Mol Cell Neurosci 6: 496–508. , , , .
- 1998. Vomeronasal, olfactory, hormonal convergence in the brain. Cooperation or coincidence? Ann NY Acad Sci 855: 349–361. .
- 1988. Use of bromodeoxyuridine-immunohistochemistry to examine the proliferation, migration and time of origin of cells in the central nervous system. Brain Res 457: 44–52. , .
- 1992. NeuN, a neuronal specific nuclear protein in vertebrates. Development 116: 201–211. , , .
- 1998. Attenuated neuroendocrine responses to emotional and physical stressors in pregnant rats involve adenohypophysial changes. J Physiol 508: 289–300. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Enriched environment increases neurogenesis in the adult rat dentate gyrus and improves spatial memory. J Neurobiol 39: 569–578. , , , , .
- 2001. Reproductive status influences cell proliferation and cell survival in the dentate gyrus of adult female meadow voles: a possible regulatory role for estradiol. Neuroscience 102: 369–379. , .
- 1998. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. San Diego: Academic Press. , .
- 2001. Infusion of brain-derived neurotrophic factor into the lateral ventricle of the adult rat leads to new neurons in the parenchyma of the striatum, septum, thalamus, and hypothalamus. J Neurosci 21: 6706–6717. , , , .
- 1999. The subependymal layer in rodents: a site of structural plasticity and cell migration in the adult mammalian brain. Brain Res Bull 49: 221–243. , , , .
- 1998. Downregulation of BDNF mRNA and protein in the rat hippocampus by corticosterone. Brain Res 813: 112–120. , , , .
- 1997. Corticosterone regulates expression of BDNF and trkB but not NT-3 and trkC mRNA in the rat hippocampus. J Neurosci Res 48: 334–341. , , , .
- 1990. Differences in affiliative behavior, pair bonding, and vaginal cytology in two species of vole (Microtus ochrogaster and M. montanus). J Comp Psychol 104: 268–274. , .
- 2001. Neurogenesis in the adult is involved in the formation of trace memories. Nature 410: 372–376. , , , , , .
- 1995. The effect of ovariectomy and estradiol replacement on brain-derived neurotrophic factor messenger ribonucleic acid expression in cortical and hippocampal brain regions of female Sprague-Dawley rats. Endocrinology 136: 2320–2324. , , .
- 1995. Stress induces brain-derived neurotropic factor messenger ribonucleic acid in the hypothalamus and pituitary. Endocrinology 136: 3743–3750. , , , .
- 2001. Increased number of BrdU-labeled neurons in the rostral migratory stream of the estrous prairie vole. Horm Behav 39: 11–21. , , , , .
- 1995. Identification of a putative estrogen response element in the gene encoding brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11110–11114. , , .
- 1999. Estrogen stimulates a transient increase in the number of new neurons in the dentate gyrus of the adult female rat. J Neurosci 19: 5792–5801. , , , .
- 1997. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis of prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster): evidence for target tissue glucocorticoid resistance. Gen Comp Endocrinol 106: 48–61. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Apoptosis and its relation to the cell cycle in the developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 17: 1075–1085. , , , .
- 1999. Running enhances neurogenesis, learning, and long-term potentiation in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 13427–13431. , , , .
- 1997. Sexual and social experience is associated with different patterns of behavior and neural activation in male prairie voles. Brain Res 767: 321–332. , , .
- 1992a. Development of partner preferences in female prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster): the role of social and sexual experience. Horm Behav 26: 339–349. , , .
- 1992b. Olfactory bulb removal affects partner preference development and estrus induction in female prairie voles. Physiol Behav 52: 635–639. , , , .
- 1993. A role for central vasopressin in pair bonding in monogamous prairie voles. Nature 365: 545–548. , , , , .
- 1999. Increased affiliative response to vasopressin in mice expressing the V1a receptor from a monogamous vole. Nature 400: 766–768. , , , , .
- 2000. The expression of transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1) in hippocampal neurons: a temporary upregulated protein level after transient forebrain ischemia in the rat. Brain Res 866: 286–298. , , , , , .
- 1998. Intraventricular administration of BDNF increases the number of newly generated neurons in the adult olfactory bulb. Mol Cell Neurosci 11: 234–245. , , , .