Effects of unilateral lesions of HVC on song patterns of male domesticated canaries
Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 56, Issue 4, pages 303–314, 15 September 2003
How to Cite
Halle, F., Gahr, M. and Kreutzer, M. (2003), Effects of unilateral lesions of HVC on song patterns of male domesticated canaries. J. Neurobiol., 56: 303–314. doi: 10.1002/neu.10230
- Issue online: 5 AUG 2003
- Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2002
- 1991. Lateral asynmmetries and testosterone-induced changes in the gross morphology of the hypoglossal nucleus in adult canaries. J Comp Neurol 307: 473–477. , , .
- 2002. Directional female preference for an exaggerated male trait in canary (Serinus canaria) song. Proc R Soc 269: 2525–2531. , , .
- 2002. Respiratory units of motor production and song imitation in the zebra finch. J Neurobiol. 51: 129–141. , .
- 2002. The honesty of bird song: multiple constraints for multiple traits. Trends Ecol Evol 17: 133–140. , .
- 1997. A new mechanism of sound production in songbirds. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 14787–14791. , .
- 1999. Bilaterally symmetrical respiratory activity during lateralized birdsong. J Neurobiol 41: 513–523. , .
- 1981. Self-differentiation of song organization rules by deaf canaries. Zf Tierpsychol 56: 323–340. .
- 1978. The relationships between species-specific song programs and individuals learning in songbirds: a study of individual variation in songs of canaries, greenfinches, and hybrids between two species. Behaviour 65: 241–242. , , .
- 2002. Recovery of song preferences after excitotoxic HVC lesion in female canaries. J Neurobiol 21: 1236–1248. , , , .
- 1990. Lateralization of syringeal function during song production in the canary. J Neurobiol 21: 1236–1248. , .
- 1995. Differential estrogen accumulation among populations of projection neurons in the higher vocal center of male canaries. J Neurbiol 26: 87–108. , .
- 1976. Reproductive development in a female song bird: differential stimulation by quality of male song. Science 92: 574–575. .
- 1998. Male song stimulation of female reproduction in canaries: features relevant to sexual displays are not relevant to nest building or egg-laying. Ethology 104: 613–624. , , , .
- 1980. Androgen affects cholinergic enzymes in syringeal motor neurons and muscle. Brain Res 192: 89–107. , , , .
- 1987. Neuronal control of bird song production. J Neurosci 7(1): 23–39. .
- 1976. Left hypoglossal dominance in the control of canary and white-crowned sparrow song. J Comp Physiol 108: 171–192. , .
- 1976. Central control of song in the canary. J Comp Neurol 165: 457–486. , , .
- 1997. A performance constraint on the evolution of trilled vocalizations in a songbird family (Passeriformes: Emberizidae). Evolution 51: 537–551. .
- 1979. Ibotenic acid-induced neuronal degeneration: a morphological and neurochemical study. Exp Brain Res 37: 199–216. , , , , , .
- 1974. The telencephalon, diencephalon, and mesencephalon of the canary, Serinus canaria, in stereotaxic coordinates. J Comp Neurol 156: 337–374. , , .
- 1997. Peripheral control and lateralization of birdsong. J Neurobiol 33: 632–652. .
- 1997. Motor correlates of vocal diversity in song-birds. In: NolanVJr, KettersonE, ThompsonC, editors. Current ornithology, vol. 14. New York: Plenum Press, p 235–288. , .
- Bilateral song production. Communication at the NeuroEthology Congress, Bönn, August 2001. , , .
- 1998. Two-note syllables in canary songs elicit high levels of sexual display. Anim Behav 55: 291–297. , , .
- 1998. Interhemispheric coordianation of premotor neural activity during singing in adult zebra finches. J Neurosci 18: 9088–9098. , , .
- 2002. Post-hatching hormonal modulation of a sexually dimorphic neuromuscular system controlling song in zebra finches. Brain Res 929: 191–201. , , .
- 1994. The auditory-vocal-respiratory axis in birds. Brain Behav Evol 44: 192–209. .
- 1997. Neural pathways for the control of birdsong production. J Neurobiol 33: 653–670. .
- 2000. Neural pathways for bilateral vocal control in songbirds. J Comp Neurol 423: 413–426. , , .
- 1992. Right-side dominance for song control in the zebra finch. J Neurobiol 23: 1006–1020. , , , , .
- 1996. Temporal Hierarchical control of singing in birds. Science 273: 1871–1875. , , .