Androgen receptor expression in the developing male and female rat visual and prefrontal cortex
Article first published online: 20 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 56, Issue 3, pages 293–302, 5 September 2003
How to Cite
Nuñez, J.L., Huppenbauer, C.B., McAbee, M.D., Juraska, J.M. and DonCarlos, L.L. (2003), Androgen receptor expression in the developing male and female rat visual and prefrontal cortex. J. Neurobiol., 56: 293–302. doi: 10.1002/neu.10236
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2003
- Article first published online: 20 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 27 NOV 2002
- NSF. Grant Number: IBN 9604487
- NSF. Grant Number: IBN 9723918
- NIH. Grant Number: MH-48794
- NIH-NIGMS. Grant Number: F31 17209
- 1983. The effect of neonatal testosterone on specific male and female patterns of phosphorylated cytosolic proteins in the rat preoptic-hypothalamus, cortex and amygdala. Brain Res 264: 277–283. , .
- 1976. Androgen and estrogen receptors in the developing mouse brain. Endocrinology 99: 1279–1290. , .
- 1991. Neocortical development. New York: Raven Press. , .
- 1981. The distribution of the callosal projection to the occipital visual cortex in rats and mice. Brain Res 214: 239–259. , .
- 1981 Visual pathways and acuity in hooded rat. Behav Brain Res 3: 239–271. .
- 1975. Changes with age in levels of serum gonadotropins, prolactin, and gonadal steroids in prepubertal male and female rats. Endocrinology 97: 898–907. , .
- 1996. Developmental profile and regulation of estrogen receptor (ER) mRNA expression in the preoptic area of prenatal rats. Dev Brain Res 94: 224–233. .
- 1995. Effects of hormonal manipulations on estrogen receptor mRNA in the preoptic area of male and female neonatal rats. Dev Brain Res 84: 253–260. , , , .
- 1983. Perinatal development of hypothalamic and cortical estrogen receptors in mouse brain: methodological aspects. Dev Brain Res 11: 19–27. , , , .
- 1977. Postnatal development of the mouse cerebral neocortex II. Quantitative cytoarchitectonics of visual and auditory areas. J Hirnforsch 18: 483–500. , , .
- 1984. Sex differences in dendritic response to differential experience in the rat visual cortex. Brain Res 295: 27–34. .
- 2000. Early androgen treatment decreases cognitive function and catecholamine innervation in an animal model of ADHD. Behav Brain Res 107: 35–43. , , , .
- 1984. Functions of the frontal cortex of the rat. Brain Res Rev 8: 65–98. .
- 1990. The prefrontal cortex. In: KolbB, TeesRC, editors. The cerebral cortex of the rat. Cambridge: London, MIT Press, p 437–458. .
- 1991. Sex-related differences in dendritic branching of cells in the prefrontal cortex of rats. J Neuroendo 3: 95–99. , .
- 2000. Effects of acute and chronic gonadectomy on the catecholamine innervation of the cerebral cortex in adult male rats: insensitivity of axons immunoreactive for dopamine-b-hydroxylase to gonadal steroids, and differential sensitivity of axons immunoreactive for tyrosine hydroxylase to ovarian and testicular hormones. J Comp Neurol 427: 617–633. .
- 1999. Regionally selective effects of gonadectomy on cortical catecholamine innervation in adult male rats are most disruptive to afferents in prefrontal cortex. Cerebral Cortex 9: 507–518. , , , .
- 1977. Postnatal development of the mouse cerebral cortex I. Quantitative cytoarchitectonics of some motor and sensory regions. J Hirnforsch 18: 461–481. , , .
- 1979. The development of estrogen receptor systems in the rat brain: perinatal development. Brain Res 178: 129–142. , , .
- 1998. Ontogeny of region-specific sex differences in androgen receptor messenger ribonucleic acid expression in the rat forebrain. Endocrinology 139: 1738–1745. , .
- 1999a. Regulation of androgen receptor messenger ribonucleic acid expression in the developing male rat forebrain. Endocrinology 140: 1807–1814. , .
- 1999b. Estrogen, but not androgens, regulates androgen receptor messenger ribonucleic acid expression in the developing male rat forebrain. Endocrinology 140: 3674–3681. , .
- 1997. Actions of testosterone in prepubertal and postpubertal male hamsters: dissociation of effects on reproductive behavior and brain androgen receptor immunoreactivity. Horm Behav 31: 75–88. , , , .
- 1988. Development of projection and local circuit neurons in neocortex. In: PetersA, JonesEG, editors. Cerebral cortex, vol. 3. New York: Plenum Press, p 133–176. .
- 1984. Heterotopic and homotopic callosal connections in rat visual cortex. Brain Res 297: 75–89. , .
- 1992. Developmental expression of estrogen receptor mRNA in the rat cerebral cortex: a nonisotopic in situ hybridization histochemistry study. Cerebral Cortex 2: 1–15. , .
- 1982. Autoradiographic identification of estradiol-containing cells in the spinal cord of the female rat. Exper Brain Res 45: 144–150. , , , .
- 1990. Developmental sex differences and effect of ovariectomy on the number of cortical pyramidal cell dendritic spines. Brain Res 515: 64–68. , , .
- 1991. Regional sex differences in spine density along the apical shaft of visual cortex pyramids during postnatal development. Brain Res 540: 41–47. , , .
- 1994. Sexual differences in the numerical density of synaptic profiles of developing rat visual cortex. J Neurobiol 25: 50–58. , .
- 1975. Androgen binding proteins in the anterior pituitary, hypothalamus, preopotic area and brain cortex of the rat. Endocrinology 96: 1–9. , , .
- 2000. Androgens prevent cell death in the developing rat visual cortex. Dev Brain Res 125: 83–88. , , .
- 1998. Neonatal cryoanesthesia affects the morphology of the visual cortex in the adult rat. Dev Brain Res 111: 89–98. , , .
- 2001. Cell death in the development of the posterior cortex in male and female rats. J Comp Neurol 436: 32–41. , , .
- 2002. Ovarian hormones after postnatal day 20 reduce neuron number in the rat primary visual cortex. J Neurobiol 52: 312–321. , , .
- 1990. Transient elevation of estrogen receptors in the neonatal rat hippocampus. Dev Brain Res 57: 119–127. , .
- 1985. Organization and postnatal development of callosal connections in the visual cortex of the rat. J Comp Neurol 239: 1–26. , .
- 1985. The visual cortex of the rat. In: PetersA, JonesEG, editors. Cerebral cortex, vol 3. New York: Plenum Press, p 19–80. .
- 1991. Androgen receptor localization in different cell types of the adult rat prostate. Endocrinology 129: 3187–3199. , , .
- 1992. Sex differences in neuron number in the binocular area of the rat visual cortex. J Comp Neurol 321: 448–455. , .
- 2000. Effects of gonadal steroids during pubertal development on androgen and estrogen receptor-α immunoreactivity in the hypothalamus and amygdala. J Neurobiol 44: 361–368. , , .
- 1997. Vernier and grating acuity in adult hooded rats: the influence of sex. Behav Neurosci 111: 792–800. , .
- 1979. Estrogen binding in the neonatal neocortex. Brain Res 178: 201–206. .
- 1990. Developmental changes in estrogen receptors in mouse cerebral cortex between birth and postweaning: studies by autoradiography with 11β-methoxy-16α-[125I]Iodoestradiol. Endocrinology 126: 1112–1124. , , , , .
- 1989. A complete protocol for in situ hybridization of messenger RNAs in brain and other tissues with radiolabled single-stranded RNA probes. J Histotechnology 12: 169–181. , , .
- 1997. Neonatal androgen manipulation differentially affects the development of monoamine systems in rat cerebral cortex, amygdala and hypothalamus. Dev Brain Res 98: 247–252. , .
- 1994. Dendritic branching in cortical pyramidal cells in response to ovariectomy in adult female rats: suppression by neonatal exposure to testosterone. Brain Res 654: 149–154. , .
- 1994. Estradiol derived from testosterone in prenatal life affects the development of catecholamine systems in the frontal cortex in the male rat. Brain Res 646: 157–160. , .
- 1980. Estrogen receptors in the fetal mouse. J Steroid Biochem 12: 55–64. , , .
- 1999. Differential expression of estrogen receptor alpha and beta in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. J Neurosci Res 57: 603–615. , , , , .
- 1992. Cellular variations in estrogen receptor mRNA translation in the developing brain: evidence for combined 125I estrogen autoradiography and non-isotopic in situ hybridization histochemistry. Brain Res 576: 25–41. , , , .
- 2000. Dynamics of intracellular movement and nucleocytoplasmic recycling of the ligand-activated androgen receptor in living cells. Mol Endocrinol 14: 1162–1174. , , , , , .
- 1999. Perinatal gonadectomy affects corticortical connections in motor but not visual cortex in adult male rats. J Comp Neurol 415: 240–265. , .
- 1980. Plasma testosterone and progesterone titers of pregnant rats, their male and female fetuses, and neonatal offspring. Endocrinology 106: 306–316. , .
- 1999. Sex differences in expression of serotonin receptors subtypes 1A and 2A in rat brain: a possible role of testosterone. Neuroscience 94: 251–259. , , , .
- 1994. Distribution of androgen receptor immunoreactivity in vasopressin- and oxytocin-immunoreactive neurons in the male rat brain. Endocrinology 134: 2622–2627. , , .
- 1985. The cerebral cortex of the rat: a stereotaxic atlas. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2001. Indentification of a developmental gradient of estrogen receptor expression and cellular localization in the developing and adult female rat primary somatosensory cortex. Brain Res 129: 39–46. , .