Development of midline glial populations at the corticoseptal boundary
Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 81–94, October 2003
How to Cite
Shu, T., Puche, A. C. and Richards, L. J. (2003), Development of midline glial populations at the corticoseptal boundary. J. Neurobiol., 57: 81–94. doi: 10.1002/neu.10252
- Issue online: 5 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2003
- NIH/NINDS. Grant Number: NS37792
- 1992. Immuno-electron microscopical localization of vimentin and glial fibrillary acidic protein in mouse astrocytes and their precursor cells in culture. Glia 6: 149–153. , , , .
- 1984. The development of the rat spinal cord. In: BeckF, HildA, van LimborghJ, OrtmannR, PaulyJE, SchieblerTH, editors. Advances in Anatomy, Embryology and Cell Biology. New York: Springer-Verlag, p 1–166. , .
- 1997. Role of GGF/neuregulin signaling in interactions between migrating neurons and radial glia in the developing cerebral cortex. Development 124: 3501–3510. , , , .
- 1987. Biochemical and functional characterization of a novel neuron-glia adhesion molecule that is involved in neuronal migration. J Cell Biol 104: 1587–1595. , , .
- 1999. Slit2-Mediated chemorepulsion and collapse of developing forebrain axons. Neuron 22: 463–473. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Slit proteins prevent midline crossing and determine the dorsoventral position of major axonal pathways in the mammalian forebrain. Neuron 33: 233–248. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The history of radial glia. Brain Res Bull 49: 305–315. , .
- 1990. Expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein and vimentin in mouse lens epithelial cells during development in vivo and during proliferation and differentiation in vitro: Comparison with the developmental appearance of GFAP in the mouse central nervous system. J Neurosci Res 27: 55–64. , , , , , .
- 1994. GFAP promoter directs astrocyte-specific expression in transgenic mice. J Neurosci 14: 1030–1037. , , , , .
- 1999. Slit proteins bind Robo receptors and have an evolutionarily conserved role in repulsive axon guidance. Cell 96: 795–806. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Radial gliaphenotype: Origin, regulation, and transdifferentiation. J Neurosci Res 61: 357–363. , , , .
- 1986. Monoclonal antibody to glial fibrillary acidic protein reveals a parcellation of individual barrels in the early postnatal mouse somatosensory cortex. Brain Res 380: 341–348. , .
- 1990. Cortical radialglia: identification in tissue culture and evidence for their transformation to astrocytes. J Neurosci 10: 684–692. , , , .
- 1997. Development of the anterior commissure in the opossum: midline extracellular space and glia coincide with early axon decussation. J Neurobiol 32: 403–414. , , .
- 2001. Glutamate uptake. Prog Neurobiol 65: 1–105. .
- 2000. Retinal ganglion cell axon guidance in the mouse optic chiasm: expression and function of robos and slits. J Neurosci 20: 4975–4982. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Brain lipid-binding protein (BLBP): a novel signaling system in the developing mammalian CNS. Neuron 12: 895–908. , , .
- 1997. Glial cell extracellular matrix: boundaries for axon growth in development and regeneration. Cell Tissue Res 290: 379–384. , .
- 1995. Regionally specific properties of midbrain glia: I. Interactions with midbrain neurons. J Neurosci Res 40: 471–477. , , , .
- 1990. Neuron-glia interactions of rat hippocampal cells in vitro: glial-guided neuronal migration and neuronal regulation of glial differentiation. J Neurosci 10: 1276–1285. , .
- 1988. Development of intersecting CNS fiber tracts: The corpus callosum and its perforating fiber pathway. J Comp Neurol 272: 177–190. , .
- 2001. Characterization of CNS precursor subtypes and radial glia. Dev Biol 229: 15–30. , , , .
- 2002. Glial cells generate neurons: the role of the transcription factor Pax6. Nat Neurosci 5: 308–315. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Glia dictate pioneer axon trajectories in the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Development 127: 393–402. , .
- 1985. Identification of major cell classes in the developing mammalian nervous system. J Neurosci 5: 3310–3328. , .
- 1989. Embryonic development of axon pathways in the Drosophila CNS: I. A glial scaffold appears before the first growth cones. J Neurosci 9: 2402–2411. , .
- 1989. Astrocytes and guidance of outgrowing corticospinal tract axons in the rat: An immunocytochemical study using anti-vimentin and anti-glial fibrillary acidic protein. Neuroscience 31: 439–452. , .
- 1999. Slit is the midline repellent for the robo receptor in Drosophila. Cell 96: 785–794. , , .
- 1998a. Roundabout controls axon crossing of the CNS midline and defines a novel subfamily of evolutionarily conserved guidance receptors. Cell 92: 205–215. , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Dosage-sensitive and complementary functions of roundabout and commissureless control axon crossing of the CNS midline. Neuron 20: 25–33. , , , .
- 1994. The expression pattern of a novel gene encoding brain-fatty acid binding protein correlates with neuronal and glial cell development. Development 120: 2637–2649. , , , , , .
- 1999. Vertebrate slit, a secreted ligand for the transmembrane protein roundabout, is a repellent for olfactory bulb axons. Cell 96: 807–818. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Isolation of glial cells by fluorescent-activated cell sorting reveals a neuronal lineage. Development 127: 5253–5263. , , .
- 1995. Retinal axon divergence in the optic chiasm: uncrossed axons diverge from crossed axons within a midline glial specialization. J Neurosci 15: 3716–3729. , , , .
- 1996. Initial organization of neurons and tracts in the embryonic mouse fore- and midbrain. Dev Biol 173: 79–94. , .
- 1988) Identification of radial glial cells within the developing murine central nervous system: studies based upon a new immunohistochemical marker. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 44 (1): 95–108. , , , . (
- 1991. Ontogeny of radial and other astroglial cells in murine cerebral cortex. Glia 4: 138–148. , , .
- 2001. Asymmetric inheritance of radial glial fibers by cortical neurons. Neuron 31: 727–741. , , , .
- 1990. Monoclonal antibody R2D5 reveals midsaggittal radial glial system in postnatally developing and adult brainstem. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 5489–5493. , , .
- 1999. Slit2-mediated chemorepulsion and collapse of developing forebrain axons. Neuron 22: 463–473. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Slit2 is a repellent for retinal ganglion cell axons. J Neurosci 20: 4962–4974. , , .
- 2001. Neurons derived from radial glial cells establish radial units in neocortex. Nature 409: 714–720. , , , , .
- 1991. Guidance of callosal axons by radial glia in the developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 11: 3481–3492. , .
- 2001. Radial glial cells. Are they really glia? Neuron 31: 881–884. , .
- 1998. Molecular tunnels and boundaries for growing axons in the anterior commissure of hamster embryos. J Comp Neurol 399: 176–188. , , .
- 1984. Transition between immature radial glia and mature astrocytes studied with a monoclonal antibody to vimentin. Brain Res 317: 201–209. , .
- 2002. Slit1 and Slit2 cooperate to prevent premature midline crossing of retinal axons in the mouse visual system. Neuron 33: 219–232. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Radial glia development in the olfactory bulb: a role in glomerular formation? J Comp Neurol 434: 1–12. , .
- 1972. Mode of cell migration to the superficial layers of fetal monkey neocortex. J Comp Neurol 145: 61–83. .
- 1995. Radial versus tangential migration of neuronal clones in the developing cerebral cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11,323–11,327. .
- 1973. Weaver mutant mouse cerebellum: defective neuronal migration secondary to abnormality of Bergmann glia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 70: 240–244. , .
- 2001. A role for cingulate pioneering axons in the development of the corpus callosum. J Comp Neurol 434: 147–157. , .
- 2000. Slit inhibition of retinal axon growth and its role in retinal axon pathfinding and innervation patterns in the diencephalon. J Neurosci 20: 4983–4991. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Slit: an extracellular protein necessary for development of midline glia and commissural axon pathways contains both EGF and LRR domains. Genes Dev 4: 2169–2187. , , , .
- 1995. Developmental pattern of GFAP and vimentin gene expression in rat brain and in radial glial cultures. Glia 15: 157–166. , , , .
- 1979. Golgi study of radial glial cells in developing monkey telencephalon: morphogenesis and transformation into astrocytes. Anat Embryol (Berl) 156: 115–152. , .
- 2002. Growth-associated protein-43 is required for commissural axon guidance in the developing vertebrate nervous system. J Neurosci 22: 239–247. , , , , .
- 1997. Glutamate transporter GLAST is expressed in the radial glia-astrocyte lineage of developing mouse spinal cord. J Neurosci 17: 9212–9219. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The glial sling is a migratory population of developing neurons. Development 130 (13): 2929–2937. , , , .
- 2001. Cortical axon guidance by the glial during development of the corpus callosum J Neurosci 21: 2749–2758. , .
- 2001. Development of the perforating pathway: an ipsilaterally projecting pathway between the medial septum/diagonal band of Broca and the cingulate cortex that intersects the corpus callosum. J Comp Neurol 436: 411–422. , , .
- 2000. Expression of the netrin-1 receptor, deleted in colorectal cancer (DCC), is largely confined to projecting neurons in the developing forebrain. J Comp Neurol 416: 201–212. , , , , .
- 1994. Inhibitory molecules in development and regeneration. J Neurol 242 (1 Suppl 1 ): S22–24. .
- 1993. Immunocytochemical demonstration of early appearing astroglial structures that form boundaries and pathways along axon tracts in the fetal brain. J Comp Neurol 328: 415–436. , , .
- 1982. Axonal guidance during development of the great cerebral commissures: descriptive and experimental studies, in vivo, on the role of preformed glial pathways. J Comp Neurol 210: 10–29. , , , .
- 1988. Chemotropic guidance of developing axons in the mammalian central nervous system. Nature 366: 775–778. , , , , .
- 1997. Differential developmental expression of the two rat brain glutamate transporter proteins GLAST and GLT. Eur J Neurosci 9: 1646–1655. , , , .
- 1983. Expression of GFAP immunoreactivity during development of long fiber tracts in the rat CNS. Brain Res 285: 317–336. , , .
- 1986. Transient midline raphe glial structure in the developing rat. J Comp Neurol 253: 175–184. , , .
- 1989. Development of glial cells in the cerebral wall of ferrets: Direct tracing of their transformation from radial glia into astrocytes. J Comp Neurol 289: 74–88. .
- 1995. Crossed and uncrossed retinal axons respond differently to cells of the optic chiasm midline in vitro. Neuron 15: 1349–1364. , , , , .
- 2000. Glial-defined rhombomere boundaries in developing Xenopus hindbrain. J Comp Neurol 424: 47–57. , .
- 1997. Emx-1 and Emx-2 functions in development of dorsal telencephalon. Development 124: 101–111. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Squeezing axons out of the gray matter: a role for slit and semaphorin proteins from midline and ventral spinal cord. Cell 102: 363–375. , , , .