Differential regulation of survival and growth in adult sympathetic neurons: An invitro study of neurotrophin responsiveness
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2001
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 47, Issue 4, pages 295–305, 15 June 2001
How to Cite
Orike, N., Thrasivoulou, C., Wrigley, A. and Cowen, T. (2001), Differential regulation of survival and growth in adult sympathetic neurons: An invitro study of neurotrophin responsiveness. J. Neurobiol., 47: 295–305. doi: 10.1002/neu.1036
- Issue online: 21 MAY 2001
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Received: 9 NOV 2000
- Wellcome Trust (T.C.).
- 1994. Nerve growth factor enhances the dendritic arborization of sympathetic ganglion cells undergoing atrophy in aged rats. J Neurocytol 23: 234–241. , .
- 1997. NGF and neurotrophin-3 both activate TrkA on sympathetic neurons but differentially regulate survival and neuritogenesis. J Cell Biol 136: 375–388. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sympathetic neuroblasts undergo a developmental switch in trophic dependence. Development 119: 597–610. , , .
- 1975. A study of the de- and regenerative changes in the sympathetic nervous system of the adult mouse after treatment with the antiserum to nerve growth factor. Brain Res 92: 257–278. , , .
- 2000. Alzheimer-like neurodegeneration in aged antinerve growth factor transgenic mice. J Neurosci 97: 6826–6831. , , , , , .
- 1986. The survival and growth of embryonic proprioceptive neurons is promoted by a factor present in skeletal muscle. Dev Biol 115: 56–67. .
- 1997. Neurotrophin switching: where does it stand? Curr Opin Neurobiol 7: 110–118. .
- 1995. Developmental changes in NT3 signalling via TrkA and TrkB in embryonic neurons. EMBO J 14: 4482–4489. , , .
- 1993. Specific high-affinity receptors for neurotrophin-3 on sympathetic neurons. J Neurosci 13: 2610–2616. , , , .
- 1997. Analysis of the mechanism of loss of trophic factor dependence associated with neuronal maturation: a phenotype indistinguishable from Bax deletion. J Neurosci 17: 9656–9666. , , , .
- 1996. TrkA, but not TrkC, receptors are essential for survival of sympathetic neurons in vivo. J Neurosci 16: 6208–6218. , , , , , .
- 1978. Biochemical effect of antibodies against nerve growth factor on developing and differentiated sympathetic ganglia. Brain Res 148: 264–268. , , .
- 1991. High-affinity NGF binding requires coexpression of the Trk proto-oncogene and the low affinity NGf receptor. Nature 350: 678–683. , , , , .
- 1989. The role of competition in the refinement of the projections of sympathetic neurons to the rat eye during development. Int J Dev Neurosci 7: 539–551. , .
- 1999. Functionally antagonistic interactions between the TrkA and p75 neurotrophin receptors regulate sympathetic neuron growth and target innervation. J Neurosci 19: 5393–5408. , , , , .
- 1960. Destruction of the sympathetic ganglia in mammals by an antiserum to a nerve growth protein. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 46: 384–391. , .
- 1988. Nerve growth factors (NGF, BDNF) enhance axonal regeneration but are not required for survival of adult sensory neurons. J Neurosci 8: 2394–2405. .
- 1998. Multiple roles for hepatocyte growth factor in sympathetic neuron development. Neuron 20: 835–846. , , , , , .
- 1997. Met receptor signaling is required for sensory nerve development and HGF promotes axonal growth and survival of sensory neurons. Genes Dev 11: 3341–3350. , , , , .
- 1994. Nerve growth factor derived from terminals selectively increases the ratio of p75 to Trka NGF receptors on mature sympathetic neurons. Dev Biol 161: 206–217. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Expression of the class III beta-tubulin gene during axonal regeneration of rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. J Neurosci Res 34: 129–134. , , , , .
- 1978. The effects of nerve growth factor and its antiserum on synapses in the superior cervical ganglion of the guinea-pig. J Physiol 277: 53–75. , .
- 1994. Checkpoints of dueling dimers foil death wishes. Cell 79: 189–192. , .
- 2000. Serum-free culture of dissociated, purified adult and aged sympathetic neurons; quantitative assays of growth and survival. J Neurosci Meth, to appear. , , .
- 2000. Development of sensory neurons in the absence of NGF/TrkA signaling in vivo. Neuron 25: 345–357. , , , , .
- 1986. Dynamic changes in the dendritic geometry of individual neurons visualized over periods of up to three months in the superior cervical ganglion of living mice. J Neurosci 6: 1051–1060. , , .
- 1999. BAX translocation is a critical event in neuronal apoptosis: regulation by neuroprotectants, BCL-2, and caspases. J Neurosci 19: 7476–7485. , , .
- 1990. Nerve growth factor regulates sympathetic ganglion cell morphology and survival in the adult mouse. J Neurosci 10: 2412–2419. , , , , .
- 1991. Administration or deprivation of nerve growth factor during development permanently alters neuronal geometry. J Comp Neurol 314: 106–113. , .
- 1998. Endogenous nerve growth factor and neurotrophin-3 act simultaneously to ensure the survival of postnatal sympathetic neurons in vivo. Neuroscience 83: 373–380. , , .
- 1998. Developmental regulation of apoptosis in dorsal root ganglion neurons. J Neurosci 18: 8928–8935. , , .
- 1996. Retrograde transport of neurotrophins from the eye to the brain in chick embryos: roles of the p75NTR and trkB receptors. J Neurosci 16: 2995–3008. , , , , , .
- 1989. Peripheral target regulation of dendritic geometry in the rat superior cervical ganglion. J Neurosci 9: 1997–2010. .
- 1995. Regulation of nerve growth factor receptor gene expression in sympathetic neurons during development. J Cell Biol 130: 1435–1446. , .
- 1997. Sympathetic neuron survival and TrkA expression in NT3-deficient mouse embryos. EMBO J 16: 3115–3123. , , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophin binding to the p75 receptor modulates Rho activity and axonal outgrowth. Neuron 24: 585–593. , , .
- 1998. Autocrine hepatocyte growth factor provides a local mechanism for promoting axonal growth. J Neurosci 18: 8369–8381. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Sympathetic neurons in neonatal rats require endogenous neurotrophin-3 for survival. J Neurosci 15: 6521–6530. , .