Cellular and molecular characterization of early and late retinal stem cells/progenitors: Differential regulation of proliferation and context dependent role of Notch signaling
Version of Record online: 27 SEP 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 61, Issue 3, pages 359–376, December 2004
How to Cite
James, J., Das, A. V., Rahnenführer, J. and Ahmad, I. (2004), Cellular and molecular characterization of early and late retinal stem cells/progenitors: Differential regulation of proliferation and context dependent role of Notch signaling. J. Neurobiol., 61: 359–376. doi: 10.1002/neu.20064
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 27 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 7 JAN 2004
- Research to Prevent Blindness
- 1995. Mash-1 is expressed during ROD photoreceptor differentiation and binds an E-box, E(opsin)-1 in the rat opsin gene. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 90: 184–189. .
- 2004. Neural stem cells in the mammalian eye: types and regulation. Cell Dev Biol 15: 53–62. , , , , .
- 1999. In vitro analysis of a mammalian retinal progenitor that gives rise to neurons and glia. Brain Res 831: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of neural progenitors in the adult mammalian eye. Biochem Biophys Res Commun (in press). , , .
- 1992. Localization of peripherin/rds in the disk membranes of cone and rod photoreceptors: relationship to disk membrane morphogenesis and retinal degeneration. J Cell Biol 116: 659–667. , , , .
- 1999. Notch signaling: cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science 284: 770–776. , , .
- 1999. The biology of stem cell factor and its receptor C-kit. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 31: 1037–1051. .
- 1999. Extrinsic and intrinsic factors control the genesis of amacrine and cone cells in the rat retina. Development 126: 555–566. , .
- 2002. Proneural genes and the specification of neural cell types. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 517–530. , , .
- 2003. Direct identification and enrichment of retinal stem cells/progenitors using hoechst dye efflux assay. IOVS 44: 2764–2773. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Topographic mapping from the retina to the midbrain is controlled by relative but not absolute levels of EphA receptor signaling. Cell 102: 77–88. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Response diversity and the timing of progenitor cell maturation are regulated by developmental changes in EGFR expression in the cortex. Neuron 19: 251–267. , , , .
- 2000. Transient suppression of cortactin ectopically induces large telencephalic neurons towards a GABAergic phenotype. J Cell Sci 113 (Pt 18): 3161–3172. , , .
- 1964. Developmental stages in somite and post-somite rat embryos, based on external appearance, and including some features of the macroscopic development of the oral cavity. J Morphol 114: 263–283. .
- 2004. Identification of c-kit receptor as a regulator of adult neural stem cells in the mammalian eye: interactions with notch signaling. Dev Biol (in press). , , , , .
- 2003. Growth factors induce neurogenesis in the ciliary body. Dev Biol 259: 225–240. , .
- 1999. Cellular actions of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. Horm Metab Res 31: 192–202. , , , , .
- 2000. rax, Hes1, and notch1 promote the formation of Muller glia by postnatal retinal progenitor cells. Neuron 26: 383–394. , , , , .
- 1999. Insulin/insulin-like growth factor-I hybrid receptors with high affinity for insulin are developmentally regulated during neurogenesis. Endocrinology 140: 233–243. , , , .
- 2002. Notch signaling promotes astrogliogenesis via direct CSL-mediated glial gene activation. J Neurosci Res 69: 848–860. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor facilitates migration of GN-11 immortalized LHRH neurons. Endocrinology 143: 3306–3315. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Roles of homeobox and bHLH genes in specification of a retinal cell type. Development 128: 1313–1322. , , , .
- 2003. Activity-dependent redistribution and essential role of cortactin in dendritic spine morphogenesis. J Neurosci 23: 11759–11769. , .
- 1989. Temporally regulated expression of insulin and insulin-like growth factors and their receptors in early mammalian development. Bioessays 11: 171–176. , , .
- 1998. Localization of HRG4, a photoreceptor protein homologous to Unc-119, in ribbon synapse. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 39: 690–698. , , .
- 2000. Delta-catenin is a nervous system-specific adherens junction protein which undergoes dynamic relocalization during development. J Comp Neurol 420: 261–276. , , , , , , .
- 2003a. In vitro generation of early-born neurons from late retinal progenitors. J Neurosci 23: 8193–8203. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Identification of rat brahma (rBRM), a subunit of SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex: involvement in the differentiation of retinal stem cells/progenitors. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. , , , , .
- 1993. Structural and functional diversity in the FGF receptor multigene family. Adv Cancer Res 60: 1–41. , .
- 2003. Transcriptional specificity of human SWI/SNF BRG1 and BRM chromatin remodeling complexes. Mol Cell 11: 377–389. , .
- 1974. An autoradiographic analysis of the time of appearance of neurons in the developing chick neural retina. Dev Biol 38: 30–40. .
- 2002. Dendrite-like process formation and cytoskeletal remodeling regulated by delta-catenin expression. Exp Cell Res 275: 171–184. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Basic fibroblast growth factor protects photoreceptors from light-induced degeneration in albino rats. Ann NY Acad Sci 638: 341–347. , , , , , , .
- 2000. BMP and FGF regulate the development of EGF-responsive neural progenitor cells. Development 127: 4993–5005. , .
- 1998. Changes in epidermal growth factor receptor expression and competence to generate glia regulate timing and choice ofdifferentiation in the retina. Mol Cell Neurosci 10: 296–308. , .
- 1995. Jagged: a mammalian ligand that activates Notch1. Cell 80: 909–917. , , , .
- 1993. Regulation of cell division and rod differentiation in the teleost retina. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 76: 183–187. , .
- 1998. Multiple roles for hepatocyte growth factor in sympathetic neuron development. Neuron 20: 835–846. , , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of the DNA-binding properties of MyoD, myogenin, and E12 by fluorescence anisotropy. Biochemistry 41: 10888–10894. , , .
- 2003. Dual regulation of neuronal morphogenesis by a delta-catenin-cortactin complex and Rho. J Cell Biol 162: 99–111. , , , .
- 1987. Peripherin. A rim-specific membrane protein of rod outer segment discs. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 28: 50–61. , , .
- 1998. Two phases of rod photoreceptor differentiation during rat retinal development. J Neurosci 18: 3738–3748. , , .
- 2002. Cooperation between complexes that regulate chromatin structure and transcription. Cell 108: 475–487. , , .
- 1998. Quantitative reverse transcription strand displacement amplification: quantitation of nucleic acids using an isothermal amplification technique. Anal Biochem 259: 226–234. , , , , .
- 1998. Isolation and characterization of cortactin isoforms and a novel cortactin-binding protein, CBP90. Genes Cells 3: 603–612. , .
- 2003. Insulin/IGF and target of rapamycin signaling: a TOR de force in growth control. Trends Cell Biol 13: 79–85. , .
- 2002. Persistent neurogenesis in the teleost retina: evidence for regulation by the growth-hormone/insulin-like growth factor-I axis. Mech Dev 117: 137–149. , , .
- 2003. The stem-cell menargie. Trends Neurosci 26: 351–359. , .
- 2001. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor is a motogen for interneurons migrating from the ventral to dorsal telencephalon. Neuron 30: 79–89. , , .
- 1991. Spatial and temporal patterns of neurogenesis in the chick retina. Eur J Neurosci 3: 559–569. , , , , .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal features of early neuronogenesis differ in wild-type and albino mouse retina. J Neurosci 22: 4249–4263. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cellular competence plays a role in photoreceptor differentiation in the developing Xenopus retina. J Neurobiol 49: 129–141. , , .
- 1994. Enhancing PCR amplification and sequencing using DNA-binding proteins. Mol Biotechnol 2: 295–298. .
- 2003. A role for Wnt signalling in self-renewal of haematopoietic stem cells. Nature 27: 27. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Neural stem cells and regulation of cell number. Prog Neurobiol 66: 1–18. , .
- 2002. Localization and functional role of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) and its receptor c-met in the rat developing cerebral cortex. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 103: 36–48. , , .
- 2001. Notch1 and Notch3 instructively restrict bFGF-responsive multipotent neural progenitor cells to an astroglial fate. Neuron 29: 45–55. , , , , , .
- 2001. The development of neural stem cells. Nature 414: 112–117. .
- 1999. The expression of mRNAs for hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor, its receptor c-met, and one of its activators tissue-type plasminogen activator show a systematic relationship in the developing and adult cerebral cortex and hippocampus. Brain Res 821: 356–367. , .
- 1999. Distinct neural stem cells proliferate in response to EGF and FGF in the developing mouse telencephalon. Dev Biol 208: 166–188. , , , , , .
- 2000. Up a notch: instructing gliogenesis. Neuron 27: 197–200. , .
- 2001. Cortactin promotes and stabilizes Arp2/3-induced actin filament network formation. Curr Biol 11: 370–374. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cortactin localization to sites of actin assembly in lamellipodia requires interactions with F-actin and the Arp2/3 complex. J Cell Biol 151: 29–40. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Cortactin, an 80/85-kilodalton pp60src substrate, is a filamentous actin-binding protein enriched in the cell cortex. J Cell Biol 120: 1417–1426. , .
- 1985. Cell differentiation in the retina of the mouse. Anat Rec 212: 199–205. .
- 2003. Diversifying neural cells through order of birth and asymmetry of division. Neuron. 37: 11–14. .
- 1999. Developmental changes in progenitor cell responsiveness to cytokines. J Neurosci Res 56: 131–145. , , , .
- 2000. Developmental changes in neural progenitor cell lineage commitment do not depend on epidermal growth factor receptor signaling. J Neurosci Res 59: 312–320. , , , .