Both authors contributed equally and should be regarded as first authors
Neurite extension and in vitro myelination within three-dimensional modified fibrin matrices
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 1–14, April 2005
How to Cite
Pittier, R., Sauthier, F., Hubbell, J. A. and Hall, H. (2005), Neurite extension and in vitro myelination within three-dimensional modified fibrin matrices. J. Neurobiol., 63: 1–14. doi: 10.1002/neu.20116
- Issue online: 23 FEB 2005
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 29 APR 2004
- 2004. Fibrin mechanisms and functions in nervous system pathology. Mol Interv 4: 163–176. , , , , .
- 2003. Fibrin is a regulator of Schwann cell migration after sciatic nerve injury in mice. Neurosci Lett 338: 185–188. , , , .
- 2000. Tissue plasminogen activator-mediated fibrinolysis protects against axonal degeneration and demyelination after sciatic nerve injury. J Cell Biol 149: 1157–1166. , , , .
- 2002. Nervous system pathology: the fibrin perspective. Biol Chem 383: 37–45. , .
- 2002. Fibrin inhibits peripheral nerve remyelination by regulating Schwann cell differentiation. Neuron 14: 861–875. , , , .
- 2003. Neural cells and their role in the development and organization of myelin sheaths. Front Biosci 8: 477–490. .
- 1996. Degradation of cross-linked fibrin by matrix metalloproteinase 3 (Stromolysin 1): Hydrolysis of the γ Gly 404-Ala 405 peptide bond. Biochemistry 35: 13056–13063. , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of stromelysin 1 (MMP-3), matrilysin (MMP-7), and membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) derived fibrinogen fragments D-Dimer and D-like monomer: NH2-terminal sequences of late-stage digest fragments. Biochemistry 38: 13928–13936. , , , .
- 1996. Loss of fibrinogen rescues mice from the pleiotropic effects of plasminogen deficiency. Cell 87: 709–719. , , , , , .
- 2001. Bridging areas of injury in the spinal cord. Neuroscientist 7: 325–339. .
- 1998. MAG-deficient Schwann cells myelinate dorsal root ganglion neurons in culture. Glia 22: 213–220. , , , .
- 1999. Prevention of neuronal cell death by neural adhesion molecule L1 and CHL1. J Neurobiol 38: 428–439. , , , .
- 2000. Form and Function: the laminin family of heterotrimers. Dev Dyn 218: 213–234. , .
- 2002. S100 Proteins: From Purification to Functions. Calcium-binding Protein Protocols 1: 185–198. , , .
- 1997. Study of the effects of altered PMP22 expression during myelination in vitro. J Neurosci Res 48: 31–42. , , , , .
- 2000. Myelin synthesis in the peripheral nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 61: 267–304. , , , .
- 2000. New insights on the biology of myelin basic protein gene: the neural-immune connection. J Neurosci Res 59: 153–159. , , .
- 1976. Establishment of noradrenergic clonal line of rat adrenal pheochromocytoma cells which respond to nerve growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 73: 2424–2428. , .
- 2001. Molecular properties of fibrin-based hydrogels for angiogensis in vitro. Microvasc Res 62: 315–326. , , .
- 2004. Heterophilic interactions between cell adhesion molecule L1 and αvβ3-integrin induce HUVEC process extension in vitro and angiogenesis in vivo. Angiogenesis, to appear. , , , , .
- 2003. The L1CAM extracellular region: a multi-domain protein with molecular and cooperative binding modes. Front Biosci 8: 1210–1225. , .
- 2000. Matrix Metalloproteinases Collagenase-3, and Membrane Type 1-Matrix Metalloproteinase Impair Clotting by Degradation of Fibrinogen and Factor XII. J Biol Chem 275: 33008–33013. , , , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) regulate fibrin-invasive activity via MT1-MMP-dependent and -independent processes. J Exp Med 195: 295–308. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Schwann cells and their precursors emerge as major regulators of nerve development. Trends Neurosci 22: 402–410. , .
- 1997. Neural cell adhesion molecule L1: signaling pathways and growth cone motility. J Neurosci Res 49: 1–8. , .
- 1998. Neural cell adhesion molecule L1: relating disease to function. Bioassays 20: 668–675. , .
- 1987. An L1-like molecule, the 8D9 antigen, is a potent substrate for neurite extension. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 7753–7757. , .
- 1989. L1-mediated axon outgrowth occurs via a homophilic binding mechanism. Neuron 2: 1597–1603. , , .
- 1986. Immunoelectron microscopic localization of neural cell adhesion molecules (L1, NCAM, and MAG) and their shared carbohydrate epitope and myelin basic protein in developing sciatic nerve. J Cell Biol 103: 2439–2448. , .
- 1996. The configuration of fibrin clots determines capillary morphogenesis and endothelial cell migration. Microvasc Res 51: 347–364. , .
- 2001. Altered gene expression in Schwann Cells of Connexin32 Knockout animals. J Neurosci Res 66: 23–36. , , , .
- 2001. Role of integrins in the peripheral nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 64: 35–49. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of laminin Receptors in Schwann cell differentiation: Evidence for distinct roles. J Neurosci 23: 5520–5530. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Immunocytological and biochemical characterization of a new neuronal cell adhesion surface component (L1 antigen) which is involved in cell adhesion. EMBO J 3: 1–10. , .
- 1999. Influence of a Natural and a Synthetic Inhibitor of Factor XIIIa on Fibrin Clot Rheology. Biophys J 77: 2827–2836. , , , .
- 2003. Unique role of dystroglycan in peripheral nerve myelination, nodal structure, and sodium channel stabilization. Neuron 38: 747–758. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Cross-linking exogenous bifunctional peptides into fibrin gels with Factor XIIIa. Bioconjugate Chem 10: 75–81. , .
- 2002. Recent progress on the molecular organization of myelinated axons. J Peripher Nerv Syst 7: 1–12. , .
- 1989. Antibodies to the L1 adhesion molecule inhibit Schwann cell ensheathment in vitro. J Cell Biol 109: 3095–3103. , , .
- 2001. The roles of cell adhesion molecules on the formation of peripheral myelin. Keio J Med 50: 240–248. , , , .
- 2005. Physico-chemical properties and proteolytic degradability affect angiogenic process extension into native and modified fibrin matrices. Biomaterials, 26: 1369–1379. , , , .
- 1991. Immunohistochemical localization of S-100 protein subunits (alpha and beta) in dorsal root ganglia of the rat. Cell Mol Biol 37: 173–181. , , , .
- 1997. Neural cell adhesion molecule of the immunoglobulin superfamily: role in axon growth and guidance. Annu Rev Cell Biol 13: 425–456. , .
- 2001. PC12 cells utilize the homophilic binding site of L1 for cell-cell adhesion but L1-αvβ3 interactions for neurite outgrowth. J Neurochem 76: 1552–1564. , .
- 1998. The Arg-Gly-Asp motif in the cell adhesion molecule L1 promotes neurite outgrowth via interaction with the αvβ3 integrin. Mol Biol Cell 9: 277–290. , , , .
- 2001. Dorsal root ganglia neurite extension is inhibited by mechanical and chondroitin sulfate-rich matrices. J Neurosci Res 66: 303–310. , .