Effects of Schwann cell secreted factors on PC12 cell neuritogenesis and survival
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 29–48, April 2005
How to Cite
Bampton, E.T.W. and Taylor, J.S.H. (2005), Effects of Schwann cell secreted factors on PC12 cell neuritogenesis and survival. J. Neurobiol., 63: 29–48. doi: 10.1002/neu.20119
- Issue published online: 23 FEB 2005
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAR 2004
- Wellcome Trust
- 1991. Detection of brain-derived neurotrophic factor-like activity in fibroblasts and Schwann cells: Inhibition by antibodies to NGF. Neuron 7: 265–275. , , , , .
- 1990. A new medium for in vitro peripheral tissue myelination without the use of antimitotics. J Neurosci Meth 33: 149–155. , , .
- 2001. Chondroitin sulphate proteoglycans: inhibitory components of the glial scar. Prog Brain Res 132: 611–619. , , , .
- 1987. Rat astrocytes and Schwann cells in culture synthesize nerve growth factor-like neurite-promoting factors. Brain Res 428: 103–118. , , , , , .
- 1987. Cellular localization of nerve growth factor synthesis by in situ hybridization. EMBO J 6: 891–899. , , , .
- 2001. Modification of representational difference analysis applied to the isolation of forskolin-regulated genes from Schwann cells. J Neurosci Res 63: 516–524. , , , , .
- 1996. Peripheral nerve explants grafted into the vitreous body of the eye promote the regeneration of retinal ganglion cell axons severed in the optic nerve. J Neurocytol 25: 147–170. , , .
- 1998. Effect of sciatic nerve crush on local and target tissue production of neurotrophin-3 transcripts in rats. Neurosci Lett 252: 45–48. , , .
- 1996. Spinal cord repair in adult paraplegic rats: partial restoration of hind limb function. Science 273: 510–513. , , .
- 1981. Axonal regeneration into peripheral nervous system “bridges” after central nervous system injury in adult rats. Science 214: 931–933. , .
- 1988. Spatial regulation of axonal glycoprotein expression on subsets of embryonic spinal neurons. Neuron 1: 105–116. , , , , .
- 1997. Response of Schwann cells to mitogens in vitro is determined by pre-exposure to serum, time in vitro and developmental age. Glia 20: 219–230. , , , , .
- 2000. Structure-function and biological role of betacellulin. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 32: 805–815. , .
- 2001. Peripheral nerve injury: a review and approach to tissue engineered constructs. Anat Rec 263: 396–404. .
- 1993. Differential expression of mRNAs for neurotrophins and their receptors after axotomy of the sciatic nerve. J Cell Biol 123: 455–465. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuregulin and neuregulin receptors in neural development. Curr Op Neurobiol 7: 87–92. , .
- 1999. Behaviour of DRG sensory neurites at the intact and injured adult rat dorsal root entry zone: postnatal neurites become paralysed, whilst injury improves the growth of embryonic neurites. Glia 26: 309–323. , , , .
- 1978. Nerve growth factor prevents the death and stimulates the neuronal differentiation of clonal PC12 pheochromocytoma cells in serum-free medium. J Cell Biol 78: 747–755. .
- 1998. Culture and experimental use of the PC12 rat pheochromocytoma cell line. In: BankerG, GoslinK, editors. Culturing Nerve Cells. Massachusetts: MIT Press, p. 161–188. , , , .
- 1976. Establishment of a noradrenergic clonal line of rat adrenal pheochromocytoma cells which respond to nerve growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 73: 2424–2428. , .
- 2003. Pleiotrophin exhibits a trophic effect on survival of dopaminergic neurons in vitro. Eur J Neurosci 17: 2127–2134. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophic factors, cellular bridges and gene therapy for spinal cord injury. J Physiol 533: 83–89. , , , .
- 1987. K-252 compounds, novel and potent inhibitors of protein kinase C and cyclic nucleotide-dependent protein kinases. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 142: 436–440. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. K252a: A specific inhibitor of the action of nerve growth factor on PC12 cells. J Neurosci 8: 715–721. , , , , , .
- 1995. Midkine is a heat and acid stable polypeptide capable of enhancing plasminogen activator activity and neurite outgrowth extension. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 216: 574–581. , , , , , .
- 1994. Schwann cells induce sprouting in motor and sensory axons in the adult rat spinal cord. J Neurosci 14: 4050–4063. , .
- 1999. Activation of the Bcl-2 promoter by nerve growth factor is mediated by the p42/p44 MAPK cascade. Nucleic Acids Res 27: 2086–2090. , , .
- 2003. Role of glypican-1 in the trophic activity on PC12 cells induced by cultured sciatic nerve conditioned medium: identification of a glypican-1-neuregulin complex. Brain Res 983: 74–83. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Cell-type-specific regulation of nerve growth factor, (NGF) synthesis in non-neuronal cells. Comparison of Schwann cells with other cell types. J Neurosci 11: 3165–3177. , , .
- 1999. Developing Schwann cells acquire the ability to survive without axons by establishing an autocrine circuit involving insulin-like growth factor, neurotrophin-3 and platelet-derived growth factor-BB. J Neurosci 19: 3847–3859. , , , , .
- 1998. Schwann cells genetically modified to secrete human BDNF promote enhanced axonal regrowth across transected adult rat spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci 10: 607–621. , , , , .
- 1992. Enhanced synthesis of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the lesioned peripheral nerve: Different mechanisms are responsible for the regulation of BDNF and NGF mRNA. J Cell Biol 119: 45–54. , , , , .
- 1999. Reciprocal changes in the expression of neurotrophin mRNAs in target tissues and peripheral nerves of aged rats. Neurosci Lett 273: 187–190. , , , .
- 1988. K-252a, a novel microbial product, inhibits smooth muscle myosin light chain kinase. J Biol Chem 263: 6215–6219. , , , , .
- 1999a. Midkine inhibits apoptosis via extracellular signal regulated kinase (ERK) activation in PC12 cells. J Med Dent Sci 46: 45–51. , , , , , , , .
- 1999b. Midkine inhibits caspase-dependent apoptosis via the activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in cultured neurons. J Neurochem 73: 2084–2092. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Neu and its ligands: from an oncogene to neural factors. Bioessays 15: 815–824. , .
- 1993. Putative inhibitory extracellular matrix molecules at the dorsal root entry zone of the spinal cord during development and after root and sciatic nerve lesions. Dev Biol 156: 34–48. , , .
- 2000. Functional regeneration of sensory axons into the adult spinal cord. Nature 403: 312–316. , , .
- 1997. HB-GAM, heparin-binding growth-associated molecule) and heparin-type glycans in the development and plasticity of neuron-target contacts. Prog Neurobiol 52: 127–144. , .
- 1997. Schwann cells express NDF and SMDF/n-ARIA mRNAs, secrete neuregulin and show constitutive activation of erbB3 receptors: evidence for a neuregulin autocrine loop. Exp Neurol 148: 604–615. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Multiple agents rescue PC12 cells from serum-free cell death by translation- and transcription-independent mechanisms. J Neurosci 11: 2552–2563. , , .
- 1987. Acidic and basic fibroblast growth factors promote stable neurite outgrowth and neuronal differentiation in cultures of PC12 cells. J Neurosci 7: 3639–3653. , .
- 1987. Multiple influences of a heparin-binding growth factor on neuronal development. J Cell Biol 104: 635–643. , , .
- 1994. Refolding and characterization of human recombinant heparin-binding neurite-promoting factor. Protein Expr Purif 5: 14–21. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. The role of estrogens on the proliferation of human breast tumor cells, MCF-7. J Steroid Biochem 23: 87–94. , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning, expression and regional distribution of rat ciliary neurotrophic factor. Nature 342: 920–923. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Ligand discrimination in signaling through an ErbB4 receptor homodimer. J Biol Chem 275: 19803–19807. , , , , , .
- 1992. K252a is a selective inhibitor of the tyrosine protein kinase activity of the trk family of oncogenes and neurotrophin receptors. Oncogene 7: 371–381. , , .
- 1992. Adult retinofugal axons regenerating through peripheral nerve grafts can restore the light-induced pupilloconstriction reflex. Eur J Neurosci 4: 691–699. .
- 1995. Neuronal differentiation of PC12 and chick embryo ganglion cells induced by a sciatic nerve conditioned medium. Brain Res 685: 77–90. , , .
- 2000. Neuregulin found in cultured-sciatic nerve conditioned medium causes neuronal differentiation of PC12 cells. Brain Res 852: 305–318. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Recombinant human heparin-binding neurite-promoting factor expressed with yeast stimulates neurites outgrowth. Chin Med J (Engl) 115: 1352–1357. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Spontaneously immortalised adult mouse Schwann cells secrete autocrine and paracrine growth-promoting activities. J Neurosci Res 41: 279–290. , , , , , .
- 1999. Nerve growth factor-hypersecreting Schwann cell grafts augment and guide spinal cord axonal growth and remyelinate central nervous system axons in a phenotypically appropriate manner that correlates with expression of L1. J Comp Neurol 413: 495–506. , , , .
- 1981. Monoclonal antibodies to mammalian neurofilaments. Biosci Reports 1: 263–268. , .
- 2001. Correlation between putative inhibitory molecules at the dorsal root entry zone and failure of dorsal root axonal regeneration. Mol Cell Neurosci 17: 444–459. , , , , , , .