Estrogen alters trkA and p75 neurotrophin receptor expression within sympathetic neurons
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 65, Issue 2, pages 192–204, November 2005
How to Cite
Hasan, W., Smith, H. J., Ting, A. Y. and Smith, P. G. (2005), Estrogen alters trkA and p75 neurotrophin receptor expression within sympathetic neurons. J. Neurobiol., 65: 192–204. doi: 10.1002/neu.20183
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2005
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 23 NOV 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: NS39570
- KUMC Biomedical Research
- 1994. The Trk family of neurotrophin receptors. J Neurobiol 25: 1386–1403. .
- 1994. Disruption of NGF binding to the low affinity neurotrophin receptor p75LNTR reduces NGF binding to TrkA on PC12 cells. Neuron 13: 203–215. , .
- 2002. Modulation of nerve growth factor in peripheral organs by estrogen and progesterone. Neuroscience 110: 155–167. , , , .
- 1995. Functional interactions of neurotrophins and neurotrophin receptors. Annu Rev Neurosci 18: 223–253. .
- 1984. A quantitative analysis of the roles of dosage, sequence, and duration of estradiol and progesterone exposure in the regulation of maternal behavior in the rat. Endocrinology 114: 930–940. .
- 1994. Effects of 17 beta-estradiol and progesterone on pressor responses in conscious ovariectomized rats. Am J Physiol 266: R1267–1272. , , , .
- 1999. Neuroprotection by estrogens in a mouse model of focal cerebral ischemia and in cultured neurons: evidence for a receptor-independent antioxidative mechanism. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 19: 1263–1269. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neurotrophins and their receptors in nerve injury and repair. Neurochem Int 30: 347–374. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Nerve growth factor: two receptors, multiple functions. BioEssays 20: 137–145. , .
- 1997. Specific modulation of estrogen receptor mRNA isoforms in rat pituitary throughout the estrous cycle and in response to steroid hormones. Mol Cell Endocrinol 131: 147–155. , , , .
- 1998. Levels of trkA and BDNF mRNA, but not NGF mRNA, fluctuate across the estrous cycle and increase in response to acute hormone replacement. Brain Res 787: 259–268. .
- 1992. Effects of estrogen and fimbria/fornix transection on p75NGFR and ChAT expression in the medial septum and diagonal band of Broca. Exp Neurol 116: 23–39. , .
- 1999. Estrogen and NGF synergistically protect terminally differentiated, Eralpha-transfected PC12 cells from apoptosis. J Neurosci Res 56: 471–481. , .
- 2001. Estrogen effects on neurite outgrowth and cytoskeletal gene expression in Eralpha-transfected PC12 cell lines. Exp Neurol 171: 308–316. , .
- 2003. Sympathetic neurons synthesize and secrete pro-nerve growth factor protein. J Neurobiol 57: 38–53. , , , , .
- 2000. Nerve growth factor expression in parasympathetic neurons: regulation by sympathetic innervation. Eur J Neurosci 12: 4391–4397. , .
- 2000. Coordinate expression of Nerve Growth Factor and α-smooth muscle actin mRNA in cutaneous wound tissue of developing and adult rats. Cell Tissue Res 300: 97–109. , , , , .
- 2002. The many faces of p75NTR. Curr Opin Neurobiol 12: 260–267. .
- 2002. 17Beta-estradiol stimulates regeneration of sciatic nerve in female mice. Brain Res 943: 283–286. , , , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophin expression in the reproductively senescent forebrain is refractory to estrogen stimulation. Neurobiol Aging 22: 309–319. , .
- 2002. Estrogen protects against global ischemia-induced neuronal death and prevents activation of apoptotic signaling cascades in the hippocampal CA1. J Neurosci 22: 2115–2124. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular kinetics of nerve growth factor receptor trafficking and activation. J Biol Chem 277: 38700–38708. , , , .
- 2004. Early structural effects of estrogen on pudendal nerve regeneration in the rat. British J Urol Int 9: 870–878. , , , .
- 2000. Neurotrophin signal transduction in the nervous system. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 381–391. , .
- 1999. Estrogen receptor mRNA in uteri of normal estrous cycling and ovariectomized rats by in situ hybridization. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 221: 207–214. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Functionally antagonistic interactions between the TrkA and p75 neurotrophin receptors regulate sympathetic neuron growth and target innervation. J Neurosci 19: 5393–5408. , , , , .
- 2003. Oestrogen regulates sympathetic neurite outgrowth by modulating brain derived neurotrophic factor synthesis and release by the rodent uterus. Eur J Neurosci 18: 2760–2768. , , , .
- 2001. Female steroid hormones modulate receptors for nerve growth factor in rat dorsal root ganglia. Biol Reprod 64: 331–338. , , , , , .
- 1960. Destruction of the sympathetic ganglia in mammals by an antiserum to a nerve-growth protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 46: 384–391. , .
- 1999a. Effects of short-term estrogen replacement on trkA mRNA levels in axotomized dorsal root ganglion neurons. Exp Neurol 159: 433–440. , , .
- 1999b. Long-term estrogen replacement coordinately decreases trkA and beta-PPT mRNA levels in dorsal root ganglion neurons. Exp Neurol 155: 260–267. , , .
- 2001. TrkA mediates developmental sympathetic neuron survival in vivo by silencing an ongoing p75NTR-mediated death signal. J Cell Biol 155: 1275–1285. , , , .
- 2002. Dual role for p75(NTR) signaling in survival and cell death: can intracellular mediators provide an explanation? J Neurosci Res 68: 373–384. , .
- 2002. Estrogen actions throughout the brain. Recent Prog Horm Res 57: 357–384. .
- 1991. Short-term effects of physiological and pharmacological doses of estradiol on estrogen receptor and uterine growth. J Recept Res 11: 743–756. , , .
- 1999. Estrogen receptor-dependent regulation of sensory neuron survival in developing dorsal root ganglion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 10905–10910. , , , .
- 2002. Estrogen treatment suppresses forebrain p75 neurotrophin receptor expression in aged, noncycling female rats. J Neurosci Res 69: 51–60. , , .
- 2003. Effects of Estrogen on Neuritogenesis of Cultured Sympathetic Neurons. Soc Neurosci Abstr 884.3. , , , , .
- 1987. Reinnervation of Müller's smooth muscle by atypical sympathetic pathways following neonatal ganglionectomy in the rat: structural and functional investigations of enhanced neuroplasticity. Neurosci 23: 781–793. , , .
- 1994a. Reciprocal regulation of estrogen and NGF receptors by their ligands in PC12 cells. J Neurobiol 25: 974–988. , , , .
- 1994b. Estrogen differentially regulates estrogen and nerve growth factor receptor mRNAs in adult sensory neurons. J Neurosci 14: 459–471. , , .
- 1999. Differential expression of estrogen receptor alpha and beta in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. J Neurosci Res 57: 603–615. , , , , .
- 1999. Differential uterine expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors correlates with uterine preparation for implantation and decidualization in the mouse. Endocrinology 140: 5310–5321. , , , .
- 1997. Gonadal steroid regulation of hamster facial nerve regeneration: effects of dihydrotestosterone and estradiol. Exp Neurol 146: 258–264. , .
- 2004. Estrogen regulates vaginal sensory and autonomic nerve density in the rat. Biol Reprod 71: 1397–1404. , , .
- 1996a. Mechanisms of estrogen action during neural development: mediation by interactions with the neurotrophins and their receptors? J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 56: 169–178. .
- 1996b. The estrogen/neurotrophin connection during neural development: is co-localization of estrogen receptors with the neurotrophins and their receptors biologically relevant? Dev Neurosci 18: 36–48. .
- 2004. Minireview: A plethora of estrogen receptors in the brain: where will it end? Endocrinology 145: 1069–1074. .
- 2002. ER-X: a novel, plasma membrane-associated, putative estrogen receptor that is regulated during development and after ischemic brain injury. J Neurosci 22: 8391–8401. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Novel mechanisms of estrogen action in the brain: new players in an old story. Front Neuroendocrinol 20: 97–121. , , .
- 1991. Variations in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal response to stress during the estrous cycle in the rat. Endocrinology 129: 2503–2511. , .
- 1997. 17beta-Estradiol protects against NMDA-induced excitotoxicity by direct inhibition of NMDA receptors. Brain Res 761: 338–341. , , , .
- 1997. Cytosolic estrogen receptor concentrations in the lumbosacral spinal cord fluctuate during the estrous cycle. Life Sci 61: 2551–2559. , , , .
- 1981. Effects of estradiol and progesterone on catecholamine turnover rates in discrete hypothalamic regions in ovariectomized rats. Endocrinology 108: 2186–2193. , , .
- 1995. Neurotrophin receptor mRNA expression defines distinct populations of neurons in rat dorsal root ganglia. J Comp Neurol 351: 329–338. , .
- 1988. Effects of gonadal steroids on nerve growth factor receptors in sympathetic and sensory ganglia of neonatal rats. Int J Dev Neurosci 6: 217–222. , , .
- 1983. Effects of 17-beta-estradiol on developing superior cervical ganglion neurons and synapses. Brain Res 282: 299–303. , .
- 1985. Synaptogenic effects of neonatal estradiol treatment in rat superior cervical ganglia. Dev Brain Res 21: 161–165. , .
- 1987. The role of neuron death in the development of the gender difference in the number of neurons in the rat superior cervical ganglion. Int J Dev Neurosci 5: 305–311. , .
- 2001. Acute and chronic estrogen supplementation decreases uterine sympathetic innervation in ovariectomized adult virgin rats. Histol Histopathol 16: 989–996. , , , .
- 2002. Distributions of estrogen receptors alpha and beta in sympathetic neurons of female rats: enriched expression by uterine innervation. J Neurobiol 52: 14–23. , .