Isolation and culture of hair cell progenitors from postnatal rat cochleae
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 65, Issue 3, pages 282–293, December 2005
How to Cite
Zhai, S., Shi, L., Wang, B.-e., Zheng, G., Song, W., Hu, Y. and Gao, W.-Q. (2005), Isolation and culture of hair cell progenitors from postnatal rat cochleae. J. Neurobiol., 65: 282–293. doi: 10.1002/neu.20190
- Issue online: 14 OCT 2005
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 21 DEC 2004
- Supported by Genentech and the Chinese National Nature Science Foundation. Grant Number: 30228029
- 1997. Immortalized cell lines from embryonic avian and murine otocysts: tools for molecular studies of the developing inner ear. Int J Dev Neurosci 15: 523–540. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Math1 is essential for genesis of cerebellar granule neurons. Nature 390: 169–172. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of Math1 in inner ear development: uncoupling the establishment of the sensory primordium from hair cell fate determination. Development 129: 2495–2505. , , , .
- 1999. p27(Kip1) links cell proliferation to morphogenesis in the developing organ of Corti. Development 126: 1581–1590. , .
- 1988. Regeneration of sensory hair cells after acoustic trauma. Science 240: 1772–1774. , .
- 1995. Isolation of pure living hair cell epithelia by use of thermolysin. Assoc Res Otolaryngol Abstr 18: 87. , , , , , , .
- 2004. In vitro growth and differentiation of mammalian sensory hair cell progenitors: a requirement for EGF and periotic mesenchyme. Dev Biol 272: 432–447. , , , , .
- 1999. Development of the vertebrate ear: insights from knockouts and mutants. Trends Neurosci 22: 263–269. .
- 2004. Socializing with the neighbors: stem cells and their niche. Cell 116: 769–778. , , .
- 2000. Mammalian neural stem cells. Science 287: 1433–1438. .
- 2003. Hair cell development in higher vertebrates. Curr Top Dev Biol 57: 293–319. .
- 1991. Cerebellar granule cell neurogenesis is regulated by cell-cell interactions in vitro. Neuron 6: 705–715. , , .
- 1995. Expression in cochlea and retina of myosin VIIa, the gene product defective in Usher syndrome type 1B. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 9815–9819. , , , , .
- 1997. Conditional immortalization of hair cells from the inner ear. Int J Dev Neurosci 15: 541–552. , , .
- 2005. Auditory hair cell replacement and hearing improvement by Atoh1 gene therapy in deaf mammals. Nat Med 11: 271–276. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regeneration of sensory cells after laser ablation in the lateral line system: hair cell lineage and macrophage behavior revealed by time-lapse video microscopy. J Neurosci 16: 649–662. , .
- 1999. Establishment and characterization of conditionally immortalized organ of corti cell lines. Cell Biol Int 23: 175–184. , , , .
- 2003. Math1 gene transfer generates new cochlear hair cells in mature guinea pigs in vivo. J Neurosci 23: 4395–4400. , , , , .
- 2001. Supernumerary outer hair cells arise external to the last row of sensory cells in the organ of corti. Acta Otolaryngol 121: 164–168. , , , , , .
- 2005. Novel method of generating prostate-specific Cre-LoxP gene switching via intraductal delivery of adenovirus. Prostate (in press). , , .
- 2003a. Pluripotent stem cells from the adult mouse inner ear. Nat Med 9: 1293–1299. , , .
- 2004. Islet1 expression in the developing chicken inner ear. J Comp Neurol 477: 1–10. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Generation of hair cells by stepwise differentiation of embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 13495–13500. , , , .
- 1992. Structural development of the cochlea. New York: Elsevier, p 33–58. , .
- 2002. Proliferative generation of mammalian auditory hair cells in culture. Mech Dev 112: 79–88. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Stem cells in the central nervous system. Science 276: 66–71. .
- 2004. Expression of Islet1 marks the sensory and neuronal lineages in the mammalian inner ear. J Comp Neurol 477: 412–421. , , , , , .
- 1996. Clonal and population analyses demonstrate that an EGF-responsive mammalian embryonic CNS precursor is a stem cell. Dev Biol 175: 1–13. , .
- 1988. Hair cell regeneration after acoustic trauma in adult Coturnix quail. Science 240: 1774–1776. , .
- 2003. Robust generation of new hair cells in the mature mammalian inner ear by adenoviral expression of Hath1. Mol Cell Neurosci 23: 169–179. , , .
- 1992. Epithelial repair following mechanical injury of the developing organ of Corti in culture: an electron microscopic and auto radiographic study. Exp Neurol 115: 44–49. , , .
- 1975. Organotypic development of the organ of Corti in culture. J Neurocytol 4: 543–572. , , .
- 1990. Ultrastructure of the intercalated body, a novel organelle associated with fluid forming cells in the organ of Corti. J Electron Microsc Tech 15: 301–315. , , .
- 1993. Tissue culture of the organ of Corti. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl (Stockh) 502: 3–36. , , .
- 1996. Hair cell differentiation in chick cochlear epithelium after aminoglycoside toxicity: in vivo and in vitro observations. J Neurosci 16: 6157–6174. , , , .
- 1994. Isolated rat cortical progenitor cells are maintained in division in vitro by membrane-associated factors. Development 120: 999–1008. , .
- 2004. Math1 regulates development of the sensory epithelium in the mammalian cochlea. Nat Neurosci 7: 1310–1318. , , .
- 1998. Requirement for Brn-3c in maturation and survival, but not in fate determination of inner ear hair cells. Development 125: 3935–3946. , , , .
- 1995. Induction of cell proliferation in mammalian inner-ear sensory epithelia by transforming growth factor alpha and epidermal growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 3152–3155. , .
- 2000. Overexpression of Math1 induces robust production of extra hair cells in postnatal rat inner ears. Nat Neurosci 3: 580–586. , .
- 2000. Hes1 is a negative regulator of inner ear hair cell differentiation. Development 127: 4551–4560. , , , , .
- 1999. Heregulin enhances regenerative proliferation in postnatal rat utricular sensory epithelium after ototoxic damage. J Neurocytol 28: 901–912. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential damage to auditory neurons and hair cells by ototoxins and neuroprotection by specific neurotrophins in rat cochlear organotypic cultures. Eur J Neurosci 8: 1897–1905. , .
- 1997. Analysis of rat vestibular hair cell development and regeneration using calretinin as an early marker. J Neurosci 17: 8270–8282. , .
- 1997. Induction of cell proliferation by fibroblast and insulin-like growth factors in pure rat inner ear epithelial cell cultures. J Neurosci 17: 216–226. , , .
- 1998. Establishment of conditionally immortalized rat utricular epithelial cell lines using a retrovirus-mediated gene transfer technique. Hear Res 117: 13–23. , , .
- 1995. Neurotrophin-4/5 enhances survival of cultured spiral ganglion neurons and protects them from cisplatin neurotoxicity. J Neurosci 15: 5079–5087. , , .
- 2001. Hes1 and Hes5 activities are required for the normal development of the hair cells in the mammalian inner ear. J Neurosci 21: 4712–4720. , , , , , , .