T-J Chen and S. Gehler contributed equally as first authors of this work.
Cdc42 participates in the regulation of ADF/cofilin and retinal growth cone filopodia by brain derived neurotrophic factor
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 66, Issue 2, pages 103–114, 5 February 2006
How to Cite
Chen, T.-J., Gehler, S., Shaw, A. E., Bamburg, J. R. and Letourneau, P. C. (2006), Cdc42 participates in the regulation of ADF/cofilin and retinal growth cone filopodia by brain derived neurotrophic factor. J. Neurobiol., 66: 103–114. doi: 10.1002/neu.20204
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2005
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2005
- NIH. Grant Numbers: HD19950, GM35126, NS40371
- NSF. Grant Number: IBN0080932
- Minnesota Medical Foundation
- 1995. Reactivation of phosphorylated actin depolymerizing factor and identification of the regulatory site. J Biol Chem 270: 17582–17587. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of actin dynamics through phosphorylation of cofilin by LIM-kinase. Nature 393: 805–809. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Disoriented pathfinding by pioneer neurone growth cones deprived of filopodia by cytochalasin treatment. Nature 323: 712–715. , .
- 2000. Cdc42 stimulates neurite outgrowth and formation of growth cone filopodia and lamellipodia. J Neurobiol 43: 352–364. , , , .
- 2004. Rho and Rac take center stage. Cell 116: 167–179. , .
- 1993. Navigational errors made by growth cones without filopodia in the embryonic Xenopus brain. Neuron 11: 237–251. , , , .
- 2001. Rho GTPases in growth cone guidance. Curr Opin Neurobiol 11: 103–110. .
- 2002. Molecular mechanisms of axon guidance. Science 298: 1959–1964. .
- 2002. Nerve growth factor and semaphorin 3A signaling pathways interact in regulating sensory neuronal growth cone motility. J Neurosci 22: 6659–6669. , .
- 1999. Activation of LIM-kinase by Pak1 couples Rac/Cdc42 GTPase signaling to actin cytoskeletal dynamics. Nat Cell Biol 1: 253–259. , , , .
- 2000. Stabilization of growing retinal axons by the combined signaling of nitric oxide and brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neurosci 20: 1458–1469. , , , .
- 2002. Rho GTPases in cell biology. Nature 420: 629–665. , .
- 1998. Localized sources of neurotrophins initiate axon collateral sprouting. J Neurosci 18: 5403–5414. , .
- 1999. Different contributions of microtubule dynamics and transport to the growth of axons and collateral sprouts. J Neurosci 19: 3860–3873. , .
- 2002. Actin turnover is required to prevent axon retraction driven by endogenous actomyosin contractility. J Cell Biol 158: 1219–1228. , , .
- 2004a. p75NTR signaling regulates growth cone filopodial dynamics through modulating RhoA activity. J Neurosci 24: 4363–4372. , , , .
- 2004b. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor regulation of retinal growth cone filopodial dynamics is mediated through ADF/cofilin. J Neurosci 24: 10741–10749. , , , , .
- 2000. Recruitment of the Arp2/3 complex and Mena for the stimulation of actin polymerization in growth cones by nerve growth factor. J Neurosci Res 60: 458–467. , , , .
- 2005. The role of the Rho GTPases in neuronal development. Genes Dev 19: 1–49. , , .
- 2003. Signaling mechanisms mediating neuronal responses to guidance cues. Nature Rev Neurosci 4: 941–956. , .
- 1998. Rho GTPases and the actin cytoskeleton. Science 279: 509–514. .
- 2004. Dynein motors transport activated Trks to promote survival of target-dependent neurons. Nat Neurosci 7: 596–604. , , .
- 2003. Signaling at the growth cone: ligand-receptor complexes and the control of axon growth and guidance. Ann Rev Neurosci 26: 509–563. , , , .
- 2000. Filopodia, spines, and the generation of synaptic diversity. Neuron 27: 11–44. , .
- 2002. Rac1-mediated endocytosis during ephrin-A2 and semaphorin 3A-induced growth cone collapse. J Neurosci 22: 6019–6028. , , , .
- 1997. Rho family GTPases and neuronal growth cone remodelling: Relationship between increased complexity induced by Cdc42 Hs,Racl, and acetylcholine and collapse induced by RhoA and lysophosphatidic acid. Mol Cell Biol 17: 1201–1211. , , , .
- 2001. Cdc42 induces filopodia by promoting the formation of an IRSp53:Mena complex. Curr Biol 11: 1645–1655. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mena is required for neurulation and commissure formation. Neuron 22: 313–325. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Critical role of Ena/VASP proteins for filopodia formation in neurons and in function downstream of netrin-1. Neuron 42: 37–49. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of Rho GTPases by crosstalk and neuronal activity in vivo. Neuron 33: 741–750. , , .
- 1998. The Arp2/3 complex mediates actin polymerization induced by the small GTP-binding protein Cdc42. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 15362–15367. , , .
- 1999. Scar, a WASP-related protein activates nucleation of actin filaments by the Arp 2/3 complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 3739–3744. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Signaling from Rho to the actin cytoskeleton through protein kinases ROCK and LIM-kinase. Science 285: 895–898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Actin depolymerizing factor and cofilin phosphorylation dynamics: response to signals that regulate neurite extension. Cell Motil Cytoskel 39: 172–190. , , , , .
- 2001. A peptide carrier for the delivery of biologically active proteins into mammalian cells. Nature Biotech 19: 1173–1176. , , , , .
- 2004. Rho GTPases regulate axon growth through convergent and divergent signaling pathways. Neuron 44: 779–793. , .
- 2002. Nogo-A and myelin-associated glycoprotein mediate neurite growth inhibition by antagonistic regulation of RhoA and Rac1. J Neurosci 22: 10368–10376. , , , , .
- 2004. In vivo imaging of synapse formation on a growing dendritic arbor. Nat Neurosci 7: 254–260. , , .
- 1995. Rho,Rac, and Cdc42 GTPases regulate the assembly of multimolecular focal complexes associated with actin stress fibers, lamellipodia, and filopodia. Cell 81: 53–62. , .
- 1999. The neuronal architecture of Xenopus retinal ganglion cells is sculpted by Rho-family GTPases in vivo. J Neurosci 19: 8454–8463. , , , , .
- 1999. Rac Downregulates Rho Activity: Reciprocal balance between both GTPases determines cellular morphology and migratory behavior. J Cell Biol 147: 1009–1021. , , , , .
- 2001. EphA receptors regulate growth cone dynamics through the novel guanine nucleotide exchange factor ephexin. Cell 105: 2–244. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Arp2/3 is a negative regulator of growth cone translocation. Neuron 43: 81–94. , , , , .
- 1999. Cofilin phosphorylation and actin cytoskeletal dynamics regulated by Rho- and Cdc42-activated LIM-kinase 2. J Cell Biol 147: 1519–1532. , , , .
- 1997. The guanine nucleotide exchange factor tiam1 affects neuronal morphology; opposing roles for the small GTPases Rac and Rho. J Cell Biol 139: 797–807. , , , , , .
- 2000. Ephrin-A5 induces collapse of growth cones by activating Rho and Rho kinase. J Cell Biol 149: 263–270. , , , , .
- 2003. The p75 receptor acts as a displacement factor that releases Rho from Rho-GDI. Nat Neurosci 6: 461–467. , .
- 1998. Cofilin phosphorylation by LIM-kinase 1 and its role in Rac-mediated actin reorganization. Nature 393: 809–812. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Signaling and crosstalk of Rho GTPases in mediating axon guidance. Nat Cell Biol 5: 1–8. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Essential role of filopodia in chemotropic turning of nerve growth cone induced by a glutamate gradient. J Neurosci 16: 1140–1149. , , .
- 2000. Oncogenic Ras downregulates Rac activity, which leads to increased Rho activity and epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Cell Biol 149: 775–781. , , , , , .