Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2(TIMP-2)-deficient mice display motor deficits
Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 66, Issue 1, pages 82–94, January 2006
How to Cite
Jaworski, D. M., Soloway, P., Caterina, J. and Falls, W. A. (2006), Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2(TIMP-2)-deficient mice display motor deficits. J. Neurobiol., 66: 82–94. doi: 10.1002/neu.20205
- Issue online: 16 NOV 2005
- Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2005
- NIH. Grant Number: NS35874
- NCRR. Grant Number: NS045225
- American Heart Association. Grant Number: 9950039N
- UVM College of Medicine
- NIH (COBRE Program of the National Center for Research Resources). Grant Number: P20 RR16435
- 2003. Synthesis and degradation of type IV collagen in rat skeletal muscle during immobilization in shortened and lengthened positions. Acta Physiol Scand 177: 473–481. , , , , , .
- 2005. Developmental expression of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 and their potential role in the histogenesis of the cerebellar cortex. J Comp Neurol 481: 403–415. , , , .
- 1993. In vivo observations of pre- and postsynaptic changes during synapse elimination at developing neuromuscular junctions in living mice. J Neurosci 13: 834–855. , .
- 2003. Aberrant patterning of neuromuscular synapses in choline acetyltransferase-deficient mice. J Neurosci 23: 539–549. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Polyneuronal innervation of skeletal muscle in new-born rats and its elimination during maturation. J Physiol (Lond) 261: 387–422. , , .
- 2005. High intensity exercise increases expression of matrix metalloproteinases in fast skeletal muscle fibers. Exp Physiol 90: 613–619. , , , .
- 2004. Matrix metalloproteinases and skeletal muscle: a brief review. Muscle Nerve 29: 191–197. , , , .
- 2000. Inactivating mutation of the mouse Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinases-2 (Timp-2) gene alters proMMP-2 activation. J Biol Chem 275: 26416–26422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Increases in pericellular proteolysis at developing neuromuscular junctions in culture. Dev Biol 149: 261–277. , , .
- 1986. Effect of low calcium and protease inhibitors on synapse elimination during postnatal development in the rat soleus muscle. Brain Res 393: 99–107. , , .
- 1982. An index of the functional condition of rat sciatic nerve based on measurements made from walking tracks. Exp Neurol 77: 634–643. , , .
- 1997. Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases 1 and 2 exhibit broad-spectrum proteolytic capacities comparable to many matrix metalloproteinases. Eur J Biochem 250: 751–757. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1957. A note on a simple apparatus for detecting neurological deficit in rats and mice. J Am Pharmacol Assoc 46: 208–209. , .
- 2003. Cytokines, growth factors and sprouting at the neuromuscular junction. J Neurocytol 32: 943–960. .
- 2000. Differential spatial distribution and temporal regulation of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase mRNA expression during rat central nervous system development. Mech Dev 98: 105–109. , .
- 1999. Distinct phenotypes of mutant mice lacking agrin, MuSK, or rapsyn. Dev Brain Res 114: 171–178. , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinase activity is required for activity-induced angiogenesis in rat skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 279: H1540–1547. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Structure and characterization of the human tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 gene. J Biol Chem 271: 25498–25505. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Membrane-type 5 matrix metalloproteinase is expressed in differentiated neurons and regulates axonal growth. Cell Growth Differ 12: 573–580. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Prepulse inhibition and fear-potentiated startle are altered in Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) knockout mice. Brain Res 1051: 81–89. , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-3 (TIMP-3) mRNA expression during rat CNS development. J Neurosci Res 61: 396–408. , .
- 1994. BEHAB, a new member of the proteoglycan tandem repeat family of hyaluronan-binding proteins that is restricted to brain. J Cell Biol 125: 495–509. , , .
- 1999. Intracranial injury acutely induces the expression of the secreted isoform of the CNS-specific hyaluronan-binding protein BEHAB/brevican. Exp Neurol 157: 327–337. , , .
- 2001. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor administration in postnatal life results in motor unit enlargement and continuous synaptic remodeling at the neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci 21: 6136–6146. , , , , , .
- 1986. The brain-specific gene 1B236 is expressed postnatally in the developing rat brain. J Neurosci 6: 522–530. , , , , .
- 1994a. Proteolytic action of thrombin is required for electrical activity-dependent synapse reduction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 10300–10304. , , , .
- 1994b. Proteolytic activity, synapse elimination, and the Hebb synapse. J Neurobiol 25: 325–335. , , , , .
- 2001. Matrix metalloproteinases: they're not just for matrix anymore! Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 534–540. , .
- 1997. Activation mechanisms of matrix metalloproteinases. Biol Chem 378: 151–160. .
- 1999. Matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem 274: 21491–21494. , .
- 1998. Hyperinnervation of neuromuscular junctions caused by GDNF overexpression in muscle. Science 279: 1725–1729. , , , .
- 2004. Expression analysis of the entire MMP and TIMP gene families during mouse tissue development. FEBS Lett 563: 129–134. , , , , , .
- 1984. Protease inhibitors reduce the loss of nerve terminals induced by activity and calcium in developing rat soleus muscles in vitro. Neuroscience 12: 637–646. , , .
- 2005. Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinase-2 promotes neuronal differentiation by acting as an anti-mitogenic signal. J Neurosci 25: 4917–4929. , .
- 1990. Antimyoclonic effect of MK-801: a possible role for NMDA receptors in developmental myoclonus of the neonatal rat. Clin Neuropharmacol 13: 329–338. .
- 2002. An alternative processing of integrin alpha(v) subunit in tumor cells by membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem 277: 7377–7385. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1970. Neuromuscular transmission in newborn rats. J Physiol (Lond) 209: 701–709. .
- 1997. Behavioral and functional analysis of mouse phenotype: SHIRPA, a proposed protocol for comprehensive phenotype assessment. Mamm Genome 8: 711–713. , , , , , .
- 2001. Induction, assembly, maturation and maintenance of a postsynaptic apparatus. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 791–805. , .
- 2004. β1 integrins in muscle, but not in motor neurons, are required for skeletal muscle innervation. J Neurosci 24: 8181–8191. , , , .
- 1995. Schwann cell processes guide regeneration of peripheral axons. Neuron 14: 125–132. , .
- 2003. Mechanisms controlling axonal sprouting at the neuromuscular junction. J Neurocytol 32: 961–974. , .
- 1999. Spatiotemporal expression patterns of metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the postnatal developing rat cerebellum. J Neurosci 19: 4994–5004. , , , , .
- 2003. MMP-9 deficiency affects axonal outgrowth, migration, and apoptosis in the developing cerebellum. Mol Cell Neurosci 24: 395–408. , , , , , .
- 2001. Chronic vasodilation induces matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9) expression during microvascular remodeling in rat skeletal muscle. Microcirculation 8: 25–31. , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinase-3 removes agrin from synaptic basal lamina. J Neurobiol 43: 140–149. , .
- 2003. In vivo time-lapse imaging of synaptic takeover associated with naturally occurring synapse elimination. Neuron 37: 67–73. , .
- 2000. TIMP-2 is required for efficient activation of proMMP-2 in vivo. J Biol Chem 275: 26411–26415. , , .
- 2003. Activity dependent removal of agrin from synaptic basal lamina by matrix metalloproteinase 3. J Neurocytol 32: 905–913. , .
- 2001. Processing of β-dystroglycan by matrix metalloproteinase disrupts the link between the extracellular matrix and cell membrane via the dystroglycan complex. Hum Mol Genet 15: 1563–1569. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Identification of an initiator-like element essential for the expression of the tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-4 (Timp-4) gene. Biochem J 364: 89–99. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Age and training alter collagen characteristics in fast- and slow-twitch rat limb muscle. J Appl Physiol 75: 1670–1674. , , , .
- 1996. A molecular mechanism for synapse elimination: novel inhibition of locally generated thrombin delays synapse loss in neonatal mouse muscle. Dev Biol 179: 447–457. , , , , .