Activation of receptors negatively coupled to adenylate cyclase is required for induction of long-term synaptic depression at Schaffer collateral-CA1 synapses
Article first published online: 2 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 66, Issue 3, pages 205–219, 15 February 2006
How to Cite
Santschi, L. A., Zhang, X.-l. and Stanton, P. K. (2006), Activation of receptors negatively coupled to adenylate cyclase is required for induction of long-term synaptic depression at Schaffer collateral-CA1 synapses. J. Neurobiol., 66: 205–219. doi: 10.1002/neu.20213
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 2 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAR 2005
- Whitehall Foundation. Grant Number: A98-32
- NIH. Grant Number: NS44421
- 1999. Roles of metabotropic glutamate receptors in LTP and LTD in the hippocampus. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 299–304. , , .
- 1994. Activation of the NO-cGMP signalling pathway depresses hippocampal synaptic transmission through an adenosine receptor-dependent mechanism. Neuropharmacology 33: 1511–1513. , , .
- 1993. Subtypes of metabotropic excitatory amino acid receptors distinguished by stereoisomers of the rigid glutamate analogue,1-aminocyclopenatane-1,3-dicarboxylate. Neurosci Lett 153: 107–110. , , , , .
- 1994. Modulation of cyclic AMP formation by putative metabotropic receptor agonists. Br J Pharmacol 111: 364–369. , , , , .
- 2000. A new form of long-term depression in the perirhinal cortex. Nat Neurosci 3: 150–156. , , , , , .
- 1999. Adenosine modulates synaptic plasticity in hippocampal slices from aged rats. Brain Res 851: 228–234. , , .
- 1998. Inhibition by ATP of hippocampal synaptic transmission requires localized extracellular catabolism by ecto-nucleotidases into adenosine and channeling to adenosine A1 receptors. J Neurosci 18: 1987–1995. , , .
- 1997. Endogenous adenosine attenuates long-term depression and depotentiation in the CA1 region of the rat hippocampus. Neuropharmacology 36: 161–167. , , , .
- 1999. Adenosine and neuronal plasticity. Life Sciences 60: 245–251. , .
- 1988. Cyclic GMP depresses hippocampal Ca2+ current through a mechanism independent of cGMP-dependent protein kinase. Neuron 1: 693–699. , .
- 1992. Homosynaptic long-term depression in area CA1 of hippocampus and effects of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor blockade. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 4363–4367. , .
- 1994. Extracellular adenosine concentrations in hippocampal brain slices and the tonic inhibitory modulation of evoked excitatory responses. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 268: 537–545. , .
- 1998. Rapid temperature changes induce adenosine mediated depression of synaptic transmission in hippocampal slices from rats (non-hibernators) but not in slices from golden hamsters (hibernators). Neuroscience 86: 67–77. , , .
- 1997. Nitric oxide-guanylyl-cyclase-dependent and independent components of multiple forms of long-term synaptic depression. Hippocampus 7: 286–295. , , .
- 1998. Identification of a potential pathway for the trimeric Go protein associated with the secretory granules. J Biol Chem 273: 16913–16920. , , , , .
- 1989. A pertussis toxin-sensitive G protein in hippocampal long-term potentiation. Science 244: 980–982. , .
- 1999. The modulation of excitatory synaptic transmission by adenosine in area CA1 of the rat hippocampus is temperature dependent. Neurosci Lett 263: 77–80. , .
- 1998. Regulatory roles for GTP-binding proteins in nerve terminals. Sem Neurosci 9: 220–231. , .
- 1999. A role for extracellular adenosine in time-dependent reversal of long-term potentiation by low-frequency stimulation at hippocampal CA1 synapses. J Neurosci 19: 9728–9738. , , .
- 1995. Heterologous expression of metabotropic glutamate receptors in adult rat sympathetic neurons: subtype-specific coupling to ion channels. Neuron 14: 1029–1038. , , , .
- 1993. Nitric oxide and long-term synaptic depression in the rat hippocampus. NeuroReport 4: 1131–1134. , .
- 1996. Potent antagonists at the L-AP4- and (1S,3S)-ACPD-sensitive presynaptic metabotropic glutamate receptors in the neonatal rat spinal cord. Neuropharmacology 35: 1029–1035. , , , .
- 1999. Adenosine as a neurotransmitter for the induction of long-term depression in rat CA1 pyramidal neurons. Soc Neurosci Abst 25: 468. .
- 1994. Antagonism of presynaptically mediated depressant responses and cyclic AMP-coupled metabotropic glutamate receptors. Eur J Pharm Mol Pharm Sec 266: 187–192. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. A role for adenosine in the regulation of long-term depression in the adult rat hippocampus in vitro. Neurosci Lett 225: 189–192. , .
- 2000. Activation of group II metabotropic glutamate receptors induces long-term depression of synaptic transmission in the rat amygdala. J Neurosci 20: 9017–9024. , , , .
- 1999. Masking of forskolin-induced long-term potentiation by adenosine accumulation in area CA1 of the rat hippocampus. Neurosci 88: 69–78. , .
- 1997. Group 1 and 2 metabotropic glutamate receptors play differential roles in hippocampal long-term depression and long-term potentiation in freely moving rats. J Neurosci 17: 3303–3311. .
- 2000. Group III metabotropic glutamate receptors modulate long-term depression in the hippocampal CA1 region of two rat strains in vivo. Neuropharmacology 39: 1952–1958. .
- 1995. Diversity in cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase isoenzyme families. Archiv Biochem Biophys 322: 1–13. , , , , .
- 1996. Heterologous expression of rat group II metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluR 2 and 3) in HEK 293 cells: functional coupling to a stably expressed conotoxin GVIA-sensitive calcium channel. Mol Pharmacol 50: 912–922. , , , , .
- 1993. Activity-dependent release of endogenous adenosine modulates synaptic responses in the rat hippocampus. J Neurosci 13: 3439–3447. , , .
- 1995. Immunohistochemical localization of adenylyl cyclase in rat brain indicated by highly selective concentration at synapses. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 8473–8477. , , , , , .
- 1994. Stimulation of postsynaptic and inhibition of presynaptic adenylyl cyclase activity by metabotropic glutamate receptor activation. J Neurochem 62: 2316–2324. , , , .
- 1993. Molecular characterization of a novel retinal metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR6 with a high agonist selectivity for L-2-amino-4-phosphonobutyrate. J Biol Chem 268: 11,868–11,873. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Metabotropic glutamate receptor: Synaptic transmission modulation and plasticity. Neuron 13: 1031–1037. .
- 1996. Pre- and postsynaptic localization of a metabotropic glutamate receptor,mGluR2, in the rat brain: an immunohistochemical study with a monoclonal antibody. Neurosci Lett 202: 197–200. , , , , , .
- 1994. Molecular characterization of a new metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR7 coupled to inhibitory cyclic AMP signal transduction. J Biol Chem 269: 1231–1236. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Signal recognition and integration by Gs-stimulated adenylyl cyclases. Curr Opin Neurobiol 3: 345–351. , , .
- 1995. Review: Neurotransmitter receptors I. The metabotropic glutamate receptors: structure and functions. Neuropharmacology 34: 1–26. , .
- 1999. Activity-dependent modulation of K+ currents at presynaptic terminals of mammalian central synapses. J Physiol 519: 427–437. , .
- 1991. Selective fura-2 loading of presynaptic terminals and nerve cell processes by local perfusion in mammalian brain slice. J Neurosci Meth 37: 111–119. , .
- 1999a. Evidence of a role for cyclic ADP-ribose in long-term synaptic depression in hippocampus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 4061–4066. , , , , .
- 1999b. Induction of hippocampal LTD requires nitric oxide-stimulated PKG activity and Ca2+ release from cyclic ADP ribose-sensitive stores. J Neurophysiol 82: 1569–1576. , , , .
- 1999. Chemically-induced, activity-independent LTD elicited by simultaneous activation of PKG and inhibition of PKA. J Neurophysiol 82: 1577–1589. , , .
- 1994. Cloning and expression of a new member of the L-2-amino-4-phophonobutyric acid-class of metabotropic glutamate receptors. Mol Pharm 45: 367–372. , , , , .
- 1993. Pharmacology of metabotropic glutamate receptor inhibition of cyclic AMP formation in the adult rat hippocampus. Neurochem Int 3: 277–283. , .
- 1996. Target-cell specific concentration of a metabotropic glutamate receptor in the presynaptic active zone. Nature (London) 381: 523–525. , , , , , , .
- 1991. 2-Amino-3-phosphonopropionic acid, an inhibitor of glutamate-stimulated phosphoinositide turnover, blocks induction of homosynaptic long-term depression, but not potentiation, in rat hippocampus. Neurosci Lett 127: 61–66. , , .
- 2001. FM1–43 imaging reveals cGMP-dependent long-term depression of presynaptic transmitter release. J Neurosci 21: RC167 ( 1–6). , , .
- 2003. Long-term depression of presynaptic release from the readily-releasable vesicle pool induced by NMDA receptor-dependent retrograde nitric oxide. J Neurosci 23: 5936–5944. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Adenosine A1 receptors are located predominantly on axons in the rat hippocampal formation. J Comp Neurol 363: 517–531. , , .
- 1998. Synaptic arrangement of glutamate receptors. Prog Brain Res 116: 105–121. , , , , .
- 1992. A family of metabotropic glutamate receptors. Neuron 8: 169–179. , , , , .
- 1993. Signal transduction, pharmacological properties, and expression patterns of two rat metabotropic glutamate receptors, mGluR3 and mGluR4. J Neurosci 13: 1372–1378. , , , , , .
- 1992. L-2-amino-4-phosphonobutyrate (L-AP4) is an agonist at the type IV metabotropic glutamate receptor which is negatively coupled to adenylate cyclase. Eur J Pharm 227: 361–362. , , , , .
- 1996. The effects of (RS)-alpha-cyclopropyl-4-phosphonophenylglycine ((RS)-CPPG),a potent and selective metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonist. Br J Pharm 119: 851–854. , , , , .
- 1992. Biochemical properties and subcellular distribution of an N-type calcium channel alpha 1 subunit. Neuron 9: 1099–1115. , , , , , .
- 1994a. Adenosine inhibits evoked synaptic transmission primarily by reducing presynaptic calcium influx in area CA1 of hippocampus. Neuron 12: 1139–1148. , .
- 1994b. Presynaptic calcium is increased during normal synaptic transmission and paired-pulse facilitation, but not in long–term potentiation in area CA1 of the hippocampus. J Neurosci 14: 645–654. , .
- 1994c. Pharmacological identification of two types of presynaptic voltage-dependent calcium channels at CA3-CA1 synapses of the hippocampus. J Neurosci 14: 5613–5622. , .
- 1995. GABAB receptor-mediated presynaptic inhibition in guinea-pig hippocampus is caused by reduction of presynaptic Ca2+ influx. J Physiol 485: 649–657. , .
- 1997. Comparing long-term depression with pharmacologically induced synaptic attenuations in young rat hippocampi. Synapse 26: 329–340. , , .
- 1999. Adenosine A1 and class II metabotropic glutamate receptors mediate shared presynaptic inhibition of retinotectal transmission. J Neurophysiol 82: 2947–2955. , .