Associate Professor of Nursing; Associate Professor of Sociology; Associate Director, Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research.
Patient falls: Association with hospital Magnet status and nursing unit staffing†
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Research in Nursing & Health
Volume 33, Issue 5, pages 413–425, October 2010
How to Cite
Lake, E. T., Shang, J., Klaus, S. and Dunton, N. E. (2010), Patient falls: Association with hospital Magnet status and nursing unit staffing. Res. Nurs. Health, 33: 413–425. doi: 10.1002/nur.20399
The National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators data were supplied by the American Nurses Association. The ANA specifically disclaims responsibility for any analyses, interpretations or conclusions. This study was supported by the National Institute of Nursing Research (R01-NR09068; T32-NR007104; P30-NR005043).
- Issue online: 23 SEP 2010
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUL 2010
- 2002). Superior outcomes for magnet hospitals: The evidence base. In M.L.McClure & A.S.Hinshaw (Eds.), Magnet hospitals revisited: Attraction and retention of professional nurses (pp. 61–81). Washington, DC: American Nurses Publishing. (
- 1997). Studying outcomes of organizational change in health services. Medical Care, 35(11 Suppl), NS6–NS18. , , & (
- American Hospital Association. (2010). AHA Data: Survey History & Methodology, from http://www.ahadata.com/ahadata/html/historymethodology.html.
- American Nurses Association. (1995). Nursing care report card for acute care. Washington, DC: Author.
- American Nurses Association. (1996). Nursing quality indicators: Definitions and implications. Washington, DC: Author.
- American Nurses Association. (1999). Nursing-sensitive quality indicators for acute care settings and ANA's Safety and Quality Initiative (No. PR-28). Washington, DC: Author.
- American Nurses Credentialing Center. (2009). Magnet recognition program overview, from http://www.nursecredentialing.org/Magnet/ProgramOverview.aspx.
- 2008). Nurse staffing levels: Impact of organizational characteristics and registered nurse supply. Health Services Research, 43, 154–173. , , & (
- 2007). Mandated nurse staffing ratios in California: A comparison of staffing and nursing-sensitive outcomes pre- and post-regulation. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 8, 238–250. , , , , , , et al. (
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2008). Medicare program: Changes to the hospital inpatient prospective payment systems and fiscal year 2009 rates. Final Rules. Federal Register, 73(16), 48433–49084.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2010). Acute Inpatient PPS, from http://www.cms.hhs.gov/AcuteInpatientPPS/.
- 2009). Risk factors and injury associated with falls in elderly hospitalized patient in a community hospital. Journal of Patient Safety, 4, 178–183. , , , , , & (
- 2005). Impact of California's licensed nurse-patient ratios on unit-level nurse staffing and patient outcomes. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 6, 198–210. , , , , , & (
- 2007). The relationship of nursing workforce characteristics to patient outcomes. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 12(3), Manuscript 3. , , , & (
- 2004). Nurse staffing and patient falls on acute care hospital units. Nursing Outlook, 52, 53–59. , , , & (
- 2005). Falls in acute care: An academic medical center six-year review. Journal of Patient Safety, 1, 208–214. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2003). Statistical analysis of correlated data using generalized estimating equations: An orientation. American Journal of Epidemiology, 157, 364–375. , , , & (
- 2006). Addressing measurement error bias in nurse staffing research. Health Services Research, 41, 2006–2024. , & (
- 2003). Validation of the Hendrich II fall risk model: A large concurrent case/control study of hospitalized patients. Applied Nursing Research, 16, 9–21. , , & (
- 2006). Disparities between two common data sources on hospital nurse staffing. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 38, 187–193. , , & (
- Joint Commission. (2010). National Patient Safety Goals. Retrieved Jan 28, 2010, from http://www.jointcommission.org/PatientSafety/NationalPatientSafetyGoals/.
- 1999). The organization of hospital nursing. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania (unpublished dissertation). (
- 2006). Are patient falls and pressure ulcers sensitive to nurse staffing? Western Journal of Nursing Research, 28, 654–677. , & (
- 2007). Nurse staffing, mortality, and length of stay in for-profit and not-for-profit hospitals. Inquiry 44, 167–186. , & (
- 2008). Exploring organizational context and structure as predictors of medication errors and patient falls. Journal of Patient Safety, 4, 66–77. , , , , , & (
- 2007). The National Database of Nursing Quality IndicatorsTM (NDNQI®). OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 12(3), Manuscript 3. (
- National Quality Forum. (2004). National voluntary consensus standards for nursing-sensitive care: An initial performance measure set—A consensus report, Available from http://www.qualityforum.org/Projects/n-r/Nursing-Sensitive_Care_Initial_Measures/Nursing_Sensitive_Care__Initial_Measures.aspx.
- National Quality Forum. (2009). Nursing-sensitive care: Measure maintenance, from http://www.qualityforum.org/Projects/n-r/Nursing-Sensitive_Care_Measure_Maintenance/Nursing_Sensitive_Care_Measure_Maintenance.aspx.
- 2008). Rationing of nursing care and its relationship to patient outcomes: The Swiss extension of the International Hospital Outcomes Study. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 20, 227–237. , , , , , , et al. (
- 2009). The relationship between nurse staffing and patient outcomes: A case study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 46, 986–992. , , , , & (
- 2008). How many nurses per patient? Measurements of nurse staffing in health services research. Health Services Research, 43, 1674–1692. , , , & (
- 2007). International experts' perspectives on the state of the nurse staffing and patient outcome literature. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 39, 290–297. , , , , & (