Instructor, PhD candidate.
Developmental status and home environment among children born to immigrant women married to Taiwanese men†
Article first published online: 7 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Research in Nursing & Health
Volume 35, Issue 2, pages 121–131, April 2012
How to Cite
Chen, C.-J., Hsu, C.-W., Chu, Y.-R., Han, K.-C. and Chien, L.-Y. (2012), Developmental status and home environment among children born to immigrant women married to Taiwanese men. Res. Nurs. Health, 35: 121–131. doi: 10.1002/nur.21457
This study was funded by the Taiwan National Science Council (96-2628-B-010-039).
- Issue published online: 4 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 7 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 NOV 2011
- Asian Regional Exchange for New Alternatives. (2007). 2007Regional school on marriage migration in Asia: A platform for research and action. Seoul, South Korea: Author.
- 1999). Cognitive complexity and attentional control in the bilingual mind. Child Development, 70, 636–644. (
- 2005). Making human beings human: Bioecological perspectives on human development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. (
- 1984). Administration manual, revised edition, Home observation for measurement of the environment. Little Rock, AR: University of Arkansas. , & (
- 2008). Bilingual experience and executive functioning in young children. Developmental Science, 11, 282–298. , & (
- 2005). (Analysis summary for life survey results about immigrant mothers' children in elementary school). Newsletter of the Chinese Statistical Association, 16(9), 19–30. (
- 2011). Cultural factors and social support related to breastfeeding among immigrant mothers in Taipei city, Taiwan. Journal of Human Lactation, 27, 41–48. , , , , , & (
- 2008). (The language development and home literacy environment of foreign spouse's children at preschools). Chia Nan Annual Bulletin, 34, 543–554. , & (
- 2004). Maternal depression and anxiety and infant development: A comparison of foreign-born and native-born mothers. Public Health Nursing, 21, 237–246. DOI: 10.1111/j.0737-1209.2004.21306.x. , , & (
- 2009). The health and cognitive growth of Latino toddlers: At risk or immigrant paradox? Maternal & Child Health Journal, 13, 755–768. DOI: 10.1007/s10995-009-0475-0. , , , , , … , (
- 2010). Parenting behaviors, perceptions, and psychosocial risk: Impacts on young children's development. Pediatrics, 125, 313–319. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2008-3129. , & (
- 1996). Early maternal behaviors during teaching in a high social risk group: A precursor to children's later school behavior. Child Study Journal, 26, 333–351. (
- 1996). Risky beginnings: Low maternal intelligence as a risk factor for children's intellectual development. Infants & Young Children: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Special Care Practices, 8(3), 11–23. , , , & (
- 2008). Promoting first relationships: A relationship-focused early intervention approach. Infants & Young Children: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Special Care Practices, 21, 285–295. , , & (
- 2008). Selecting the best regression equation. In D. G. Kleinbaum, L. L. Kupper, A. Nizam, & K. E. Muller (Eds.), Applied regression analysis and other multivariable methods (4th ed., pp. 383–419). Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole. , , , & (
- 2010). (Effects of area deprivation and parents socioeconomic position on new female immigrant children's health status). The Journal of Health Sciences, 12, 82–95. , , , , & (
- 2005). Concurrent validity of the Comprehensive Developmental Inventory for Infants and Toddlers with the Bayley Scales of Infant Development-II in preterm infants. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, 104, 731–737. , , , & (
- Ministry of the Interior. (2010). Analysis of the status of newborns' mothers, 2009. Taipei City, Taiwan. [Data file]. Retrieved from http://sowf.moi.gov.tw/stat/week/list.htm.
- 2009). Documentation status and parental concerns about development in young US Children of Mexican origin. Academic Pediatrics, 9, 278–282. , , , & (
- 2006). Do parenting and the home environment, maternal depression, neighborhood, and chronic poverty affect child behavioral problems differently in different racial-ethnic groups? Pediatrics, 117, 1329–1338. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2005-1784. , , , & (
- 2012). Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice (9th ed.) Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. , & (
- 2001). Long-term effects of an early childhood intervention on educational achievement and juvenile arrest: A 15-year follow-up of low-income children in public schools. JAMA, 285, 2339–2346. , , , & (
- 2004). Vygotsky's model of cognitive development. In U. Goswami (Ed.), Blackwell handbook of childhood cognitive development (1st ed., pp. 538–554). Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing Ltd. , & (
- 2005). Sociocultural theories of development. In R. S. Siegler & M. W. Alibali (Eds.), Children's thinking (4th ed., pp. 107–140). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. , & (
- Social Affairs. (2007). Social policy report—Social assistance. Taipei City, Taiwan. [Data file]. Retrieved from http://sowf.moi.gov.tw/17/96/index.htm.
- 2003). Joint influence of child care and infant attachment security for cognitive and language outcomes of low-income toddlers. Infant Behavior and Development, 26, 326–344. DOI: 10.1016/S0163-6383(03)00034-1. , , , , & (
- 1992). (Home environment and the mental and motor development of infants and toddlers). Bulletin of Educational Psychology, 25, 13–29. , , , , & (
- 2007). Socioeconomic position, maternal IQ, home environment, and cognitive development. Journal of Pediatrics, 151, 284–288. , , , & (
- 2011). Family income and child cognitive and behavioural development in the United Kingdom: Does money matter? Health Economics, 20, 1201–1225. DOI: 10.1002/hec.1665. , , , & (
- 2010). Brain research to ameliorate impaired neurodevelopment—Home-based intervention trial. BioMed Central Pediatrics, 10(27), 1–9. , , , , , , … (
- 2008). (A study of learning adaptation and academic achievements of Taiwan's elementary school students: Mothers with Southeast Asian, Mainland-Chinese and Taiwanese nationality). Educational Policy Forum, 11(12), 75–105. , & (
- 2005). (Predictive validity of comprehensive developmental inventory for infants and toddlers). Bulletin of Special Education, 29, 1–24. (
- 1998). (The standardization of the comprehensive developmental inventory for infants and toddlers). Psychological Testing, 45(1), 19–46. , , , , , & (
- 2004). (The livelihood and welfare needs of immigrant mothers and their children in Pong-Hu islands, Taiwan). Journal of Child and Youth Welfare, 6(1), 55–85. (
- 2008). The parents as teachers program and school success: A replication and extension. Journal of Primary Prevention, 29, 103–120. DOI: 10.1007/s10935-008-0132-1. , , & (