Special Issue Paper
Print media portrayals of giving: exploring national ‘cultures of philanthropy’
Article first published online: 28 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing
Special Issue: Testing Mechanisms for Philanthropic Behaviour
Volume 16, Issue 4, pages 311–324, November 2011
How to Cite
McDonald, K. and Scaife, W. (2011), Print media portrayals of giving: exploring national ‘cultures of philanthropy’. Int. J. Nonprofit Volunt. Sect. Mark., 16: 311–324. doi: 10.1002/nvsm.430
- Issue published online: 28 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 28 NOV 2011
- ACOSS. 2005. Giving Australia: Research on Philanthropy in Australia. Canberra, Prime Minister's Business Community Partnership, Department of Family and Community Services, Australian Government.
- 1994. Picture Perfect: The Art and Artifice of Public Image Making. Basic Books: New York. .
- 1963. The quest for meanings. Mind 72(285): 79–87. .
- 1996. Qualitative Media Analysis. Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA. .
- 2007. Charitable donations as a reflection of national values: an exploratory comparison of Canada and the United States. Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing 18(1): 1–19. .
- 2010. A literature review of empirical studies of philanthropy: eight mechanisms that drive charitable giving. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 40(5): 924–973. , .
- 1985. Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life. University of California Press: Berkeley. , , , , .
- 1988. News, the Politics of Illusion. Longman: New York. .
- 2009. Influence of national culture on trans-national alliance relationships. Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal 16(1): 44–61. , .
- 2007. National culture, business culture and management practices: consequential relationships? Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal 14(1): 54–67. , .
- 1987. The Values for the Wealthy: Philanthropic Attitudes as a Reflection of Political Philosophy in American Culture. Independent Sector Spring Research Forum Working Paper. New York, Independant Sector. .
- 2006. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology 3(2): 77–101. , .
- 2009. Philanthropy in a Recession: An Analysis of UK Media Representations and Implications for Charitable Giving. NCVO/VSSN Researching the Voluntary Sector conference, Centre for Philanthropy, Humanitarianism and Social Justice, University of Kent. , .
- 2007. Culture's influence on leadership efficiency: how personal and national cultures affect leadership style. Journal of Business Research 60(2): 168–175. , .
- 1997. Spiral of Cynicism: The Press and the Public Good. Oxford University Press: New York. , .
- 2009. Culture and its influence on advertising. International Communication Gazette 71(8): 671–692. , , , , , .
- Charities Aid Foundation. 2006. International Comparisons of Charitable Giving. CAF Briefing Paper: Kent.
- Charities Aid Foundation. 2010. World Giving Index: Alexandria, VA.
- 2004. Media salience and the process of framing: coverage of the Columbine school shootings. Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly 81(1): 22. , .
- 1999. Compliance with a request in two cultures: the differential influence of social proof and commitment/consistency on collectivists and individualists. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 25: 1242–1253. , , , , .
- 1963. The Press and Foreign Policy. Princeton University Press: Princeton, N.J. .
- 2007. The Social Psychology of Generosity: The State of Current Interdisciplinary Research. Science of Generosity Resource Paper. Notre Dame, IN, University of Notre Dame. , .
- 1999. Charitable images: the construction of voluntary sector news. In Social Policy, the Media, and Misrepresentation, Franklin B (ed.). Routledge: London. .
- 1995. Communicating philanthropy: the media and the voluntary sector in Britain. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 6(2): 119–139. , , .
- 2009. Galvanizing philanthropy. Harvard Business Review 87(11): 108–115. , .
- 1998. Understanding the influence of national culture on the development of trust. Academy of Management Review 23(3): 601–620. , , .
- 2006. Philanthropy and governance. Administrative Theory and Praxis 28(4): 586–592.
- 2005. Social psychology in Australia: past and present. International Journal of Psychology 40(4): 263–276. .
- 1997. Customer value change in industrial marketing relationships: a call for new strategies and research. Industrial Marketing Management 26(2): 163–175. , , .
- 2010. Is the media influencing Australia's purse strings? Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal 11(2): 3. , .
- Foundation Center. 2011. Foundation Growth and Giving Statistics. Retrieved from http://foundationcenter.org/gainknowledge/research/pdf/fgge11.pdf
- 1989. Media discourse and public opinion on nuclear power: a constructionist approach. The American Journal of Sociology 95(1): 1–37. , .
- 2003. The Greater Good: How Philanthropy Drives the American Economy and can Save Capitalism. Times Books/Henry Holt: New York. .
- 2001. Very public scandals: nongovernmental organizations in trouble. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 12(1): 49–66. , .
- 2004. A Loss of credibility: patterns of wrongdoing among nongovernmental organizations. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 15(4): 355–381. , .
- Giving USA. 2008. The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2007, Giving USA Foundation in conjunction with the Centre on Philanthropy, Indiana University.
- 2003. Truth on the Sidelines: Philanthropy and Foundations in the Media. http://old.douglasgouldandcompany.com/resources/Truth%20on%20the%20Sidelines%20FINAL.pdf [Retrieved 30 May 2011]. , , , .
- 2004. Promoting philanthropy? News publicity and voluntary organizations in Canada. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 15(4): 383–404. , .
- 2007. Superficial friends: a content analysis of nonprofit and philanthropy coverage in nine major newspapers. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 36(3): 465–486. .
- 1983. Equity theory and recipient reactions to aid. In New Directions in Helping. Vol I: Recipient Reactions to Aid, Fisher JD, Nadler A, Depalulo BM (eds.). Academic Press: New York; 113–141. , .
- 1991. Cooperation and Prosocial Behaviour. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge England New York. , .
- 2001. Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions, and Organisations Across Nations, 2nd edn. Sage Publications Inc: California. .
- 2006. Egalitarianism: New Essays on the Nature and Value of Equality. Oxford UP: Oxford. , .
- 1991. Is Anyone Responsible? How Television Frames Political Issues. University of Chicago Press: Chicago. .
- 1996. Framing responsibility for political issues. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 546(1): 59–70. .
- 2006. Individualism and good works. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 37(3): 327–344. , , .
- 1988. The effect of national culture on the choice of entry mode. Journal of International Business Studies 19(3): 411–432. , .
- 2004. The Development of Community Foundations in Australia: Recreating the American Dream. Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, QUT: Brisbane. .
- 1980. The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion. Plenum Press: New York London. .
- 2009. The Cultures of Philanthropy: Private Foundation Governance in the USA, the UK, Germany, and Japan. SSRN eLibrary. , .
- 2008. The cultural and social history of philanthropy in Australia. Australian Philanthropy (67): 4–5. .
- 1995. Corporate philanthropy: gift or business transaction? Nonprofit Management & Leadership 5(3): 291–301. .
- 1993. Private Donations and Australia's Welfare State. NSW, Centre for Australian Community Organisations and Management: Lindfield. .
- 2008a. Good Times and Philanthropy: Giving by Australia's Affluent. Brisbane, Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, Queensland University of Technology: i-66. , .
- 2008b. Looking for the Value Add: Private Wealth Advice Needs of High Net Worth Individuals. Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, Queensland University of Technology: Brisbane. , .
- 1996. The news value of nonprofit organizations and issues. Nonprofit Management & Leadership 7(2): 181–192. .
- 1972. The agenda-setting function of mass media. Public Opinion Quarterly 36(2): 176–187. , .
- 1983. Egalitarianism. Mind 92(367): 413–416. .
- 2002. Rethinking individualism and collectivism: evaluation of theoretical assumptions and meta-analyses. Psychological Bulletin 128(1): 3–72. , , .
- 2010. Family Foundation Giving Trends 2010. Centre for Charitable Giving and Philanthropy and Alliance Publishing Trust: London. , .
- Philanthropy Australia. 2011. Statistics Overview. Retrieved from http://philanthropywiki.org.au/index.php/Category:Statistics.
- Productivity Commission. 2010. Contribution of the Not-For-Profit Sector, Research Report. Canberra, Australian Government: 72.
- 2002. Role of local newspaper media in generating a citizen volunteer consciousness. International Journal of Japanese Sociology 11(1): 102–117. .
- 1971. Long-range experimental modification of values, attitudes, and behavior. American Psychologist 26(5): 453–459. .
- 1973. The Nature of Human Values. Free Press Collier-Macmillan: New York-London. .
- Rosengren KE (ed.). 1981. Advances in Scandinavia Content Analysis: An introduction, Advances in Content Analysis. Sage: Beverly Hills, CA.; 9–19.
- 2007. Gift giving: an interdisciplinary review. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing 12(4): 275–307. , .
- 2008. Capitalism and philanthropy in the (new) Gilded age. American Quarterly 60(1): 201–21. .
- 2011. A Transformational Role: Donor and Charity Perspectives on Major Giving in Australia. Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, Queensland University of Technology: Brisbane , , .
- 1998. A Case for Private Support for the Arts: The US Experience. Seminario Internacional Sobra Exonomia del la cultura: Buenos Aires, Argentina. .
- 2005. Major donors, major motives: the people and purposes behind major gifts. New Directions for Philanthropic Fundraising Spring 2005(47): 59–87. .
- 2011. Studying values: personal adventure, future directions. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 42(2): 307–319. .
- 2004. Values. In Women and Men in Political and Business Elites: A Comparative Study in the Industrialized World, Vianello M, Moore G, Di Stefano G, ebrary Inc. (eds.). Sage: London; 102–128. .
- 1993. Providing public assistance: cognitive and motivational processes underlying liberal and conservative policy preferences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 65(6): 1205–1223. , .
- 2003. Cultural History in Australia. UNSW Press: Sydney. , .
- 2010. Encounters with philanthropic information: cognitive dissonance and implications for the social sector. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 22(3): 518–545. .
- 1990. Cultural Theory. Westview Press: Boulder, CO. , , .
- 2004. Agenda setting and international news: media influence on public perceptions of foreign nations. Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly 81(2): 364 , , .
- 1958. The Australian Legend. Oxford UP: Melbourne. .
- 2010. Leaving a legacy: bequest giving in Australia. Australasian Marketing Journal 18(1): 15–22. , , .
- 2002. Generosity versus Altruism: Philanthropy and Charity in the US and UK. Civil Society Working Paper series, 17. Centre for Civil Society, London School of Economics and Political Science: London. .
- 1998. Is “being” predicated in only one sense, after all? Logic and Logical Philosophy 6: 241–258. .