Raising Practices of Neolithic Livestock Evidenced by Stable Isotope Analysis in the Wei River Valley, North China
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Osteoarchaeology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 42–52, January/February 2016
How to Cite
2016) Raising Practices of Neolithic Livestock Evidenced by Stable Isotope Analysis in the Wei River Valley, North China. Int. J. Osteoarchaeol., 26: 42–52. doi: 10.1002/oa.2393., , , , , , and (
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2016
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 JAN 2014 10:00PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2013
- the CAS Strategic Priority Research Program. Grant Numbers: XDA05130501, XDA05130303
- the National Key Technology R&D Program. Grant Number: 2010BAK67B03
- the Compass Plan Foundation. Grant Number: 20110301
- China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Grant. Grant Number: 2012M520442
- 1990. Preparation and characterization of bone and tooth collagen for isotopic analysis. Journal of Archaeological Science 17: 431–451. .
- 1991. Effects of diet, climate and physiology on nitrogen isotope abundances in terrestrial foodwebs. Journal of Archaeological Science 18: 293–317. .
- 1993. Isotopic composition of dietary protein and energy versus bone collagen and apatite: purified diet growth experiments. In Prehistoric Human Bone, JB Lambert, G Grupe (eds.). Springer: Berlin; 1–37. , .
- 2000. Asynchronous Holocene optimum of the East Asian monsoon. Quaternary Science Reviews 19: 743–762. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Early Neolithic diets at Baijia, Wei River valley, China: stable carbon and nitrogen isotope analysis of human and faunal remains. Journal of Archaeological Science 38: 2811–2817. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Stable isotope evidence (δ13C, δ18O) for winter feeding on seaweed by Neolithic sheep of Scotland. Journal of Zoology 270: 170–176. , , .
- Baoji Archaeological Team, Shaanxi Provincial Institute of Archaeology. 1993. Fulinbao at Baoji: Report on the Excavation of the Neolithic Site. Cultural Relics Publishing House: Beijing.
- 2009. Agricultural origins and the isotopic identity of domestication in northern China. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106: 5523–5528. , , , , , .
- 1995. The origins of agriculture in the Near East. In Last hunters, First Farmers, TD Price, A-B Gebauer (eds.). School of American Research Press: Santa Fe; 39–94. , .
- 2003. Trophic level isotopic enrichment of carbon and nitrogen in bone collagen: case studies from recent and ancient terrestrial ecosystems. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 13: 46–53. , .
- 2007. The impact of manuring on nitrogen isotope ratios in cereals: Archaeological implications for reconstruction of diet and crop management practices. Journal of Archaeological Science 34: 335–343. , , , .
- 2012. Animal feeding practice at Taosi site. Archaeology 9: 75–82. , , , , .
- 2003. Patterns of natural 15N in soils and plants from chemically and organically fertilized uplands. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 35: 1493–1500. , , .
- 1966. The Indian wild buffalo bubalus bubalis (Linn), in peninsular India: a preliminary survey. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society 63: 32–53. , .
- 1985. Postmortem preservation and alteration of in vivo bone collagen isotope ratios in relation to palaeodietary reconstruction. Nature 317: 806–809. .
- 1978. Influence of diet on the distribution of carbon isotopes in animals. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 42: 495–506. , .
- 1981. Influence of diet on the distribution of nitrogen isotopes in animals. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 45: 341–351. , .
- 2012. Macronutrient-based model for dietary carbon routing in bone collagen and bioapatite. Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences 4: 291–301. , , .
- 2007. Zooarcheological evidence for animal domestication in northwest China. In Developments in Quaternary Science, DB Madsen, F-H Chen, X Gao (eds.). Elsevier: Oxford; 167–203. , , .
- 2005. Nitrogen balance and δ15N: Why you're not what you eat during nutritional stress. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 2497–2506. , , , , , .
- 2008. Stable isotope analysis on animal bones from the Wuzhuangguoliang site, Jingbian, Northern Shaanxi. Quaternary Sciences 28: 1160–1165. , , , , , .
- 2011. Stable carbon and nitrogen isotope evidence in human diets based on evidence from the Jiangzhai site, China. Acta Anthropologica Sinica 30: 149–157. , , , , .
- 2011. Are elevated δ15N values in herbivores in hot and arid environments caused by diet or animal physiology? Functional Ecology 25: 122–131. .
- 2005. Effects of food quality, starvation and life stage on stable isotope fractionation in Collembola. Pedobiologia 49: 229–237. , , , .
- 2007. Nitrogen isotopes and the trophic level of humans in archaeology. Journal of Archaeological Science 34: 1240–1251. , .
- 2013. Human subsistence strategy at Liuzhuang site, Henan, China during the proto-Shang culture (∼2000–1600 BC) by stable isotopic analysis. Journal of Archaeological Science 40: 2344–2351. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Analysis of faunal remains from Dongying, Gaoling. In Dongying in Gaoling, Shaanxi Provincial Academy of Archaeology (ed.). Science Press: Beijing; 148–200.
- 2009. Preliminary attempt to distinguish the domesticated pigs from wild boars by the methods of carbon and nitrogen stable isotope analysis. Science in China Series D: Earth Sciences 52: 85–92. , , , , .
- 2006. Diet in the Iron Age cemetery population at Wetwang Slack, East Yorkshire, UK: Carbon and nitrogen stable isotope evidence. Journal of Archaeological Science 33: 653–662. , .
- 2006. Quantifying dietary macronutrient sources of carbon for bone collagen biosynthesis using natural abundance stable carbon isotope analysis. British Journal of Nutrition 95: 1055–1062. , , , .
- 1999. Bone collagen quality indicators for palaeodietary and radiocarbon measurements. Journal of Archaeological Science 26: 687–695. .
- Lab of Institute of Archaeology CASS. 1994. Radiocarbon dating report 21. Archaeology 7: 662–664.
- 2003. Settlement pattern of the Dadiwan site in Qin'an County, Guan, and its evolution. Archaeology 6: 83–89. .
- 1989. Stable carbon isotope ratio differences between bone collagen and bone apatite, and their relationship to diet. Journal of Archaeological Science 16: 585–599. , , .
- 2007. Early cultivated wheat and broadening of agriculture in Neolithic China. The Holocene 17: 555–560. , , , , .
- 2006. The report of botanical remains in Dadiwan archaeological site. In Dadiwan at Qin'an: Report on the Excavation of the Neolithic Site, The Guansu Provincial Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology (ed.). Cultural Relics Publishing House: Beijing; 914–916. .
- 1981. Research on pig raising in history. Agricultural Archaeology 1: 103–105. , .
- 2005. Summer monsoon intensity controls C4/C3 plant abundance during the last 35 ka in the Chinese Loess Plateau: Carbon isotope evidence from bulk organic matter and individual leaf waxes. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 220: 243–254. , , , , , , .
- 2006. On the origin of the Bubalus bubalus in China. Acta Archaeologica Sinica 2: 141–178. , , .
- 2012. The earliest evidence of millet as a staple crop: New light on neolithic foodways in North China. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 149: 283–290. , , , , .
- 2010. Research on the origins of domestic cattle in China. In Zooarchaeology, Henan Provincial Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology (ed.). Culture Relics Press: Beijing; 152–176. .
- 2009. Issues on the zooarchaeology in Guanzhong Plain prehistory. Archaeology and Cultural Relics 5: 89–94. .
- 2006. Foddering by Mongolian pastoralists is recorded in the stable carbon (δ13C) and nitrogen (δ15N) isotopes of caprine dentinal collagen. Journal of Archaeological Science 33: 862–870. , .
- 1991. Isotopic composition of atmospheric CO2 inferred from carbon in C4 plant cellulose. Nature 349: 127–131. , .
- 1978. 13C content of human collagen as a measure of prehistoric diet in woodland North America. Nature 276: 815–816. , .
- 2010. Reviews on the quantitatively reconstructing paleoclimate and paleovegetation based on carbon isotope of soil organic matter on Chinese Leoss Plateau. Geological Review 56: 851–857. .
- 2005. Diet of aurochs and early cattle in southern Scandinavia: Evidence from 15N and 13C stable isotopes. Journal of Archaeological Science 32: 855–871. , , .
- 1981. Carbon isotope fractionation in plants. Phytochemistry 20: 553–567. .
- 2005. Reconstructing northern Chinese Neolithic subsistence practices by isotopic analysis. Journal of Archaeological Science 32: 1176–1189. , , , .
- 2006. Synchronism of Holocene East Asian monsoon variations and North Atlantic drift-ice tracers. Quaternary Research 65: 443–449. , .
- 1992. Diagenesis in prehistoric bone: Problems and solutions. Journal of Archaeological Science 19: 513–529. , , , .
- 2003. Sharp shift in diet at onset of Neolithic. Nature 425: 366. , , .
- 2005. The effect of dietary protein quality on nitrogen isotope discrimination in mammals and birds. Oecologia 144: 534–540. , , .
- Shaanxi Provincial Academy of Archaeology. 2010. Dongying at Gaoling: Report on the Excavation of the Neolithic Site. Science Press: Beijing.
- 2010. Holocene vegetation characteristics of the southern Loess Plateau in the Weihe River valley in China. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 160: 46–52. , .
- 2012. Preliminary research on Neolithic agricultural activities at Xiahe, Shaanxi. Archaeology and Cultural Relics 4: 55–59. , , , , , , .
- 1971. Two categories of 12C/13C ratios for higher plants. Plant Physiology 47: 380–384. , .
- 2003. Nitrogen isotopes in mammalian herbivores: hair δ15N values from a controlled feeding study. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 13: 80–87. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Great achievement of archaeological excavation at Wayaogou prehistoric site. China Cultural Relics News, May 21. .
- 1998. The review of Yaoshao culture dating research. In Yuanwangji, Department of Archaeology of Northwest University (ed.). Shaanxi Art Press: Xi'an; 83–96. .
- 2011. Animal Subsistence of the Yangshao Period in the Wei River Valley: A Case-study from the Site of Wayaogou in Shaanxi Province, China. Unpublished PhD Dissertation, Institute of Archaeology, University College London. .
- 2003. The carbon isotope composition of C3 herbaceous plants in loess area of northern China. Science in China Series D: Earth Sciences 46: 1069–1076. , , .
- 2005. The carbon isotope composition of C4 plants in loess area of northern China. Science in China Series D: Earth Sciences 35: 1174–1179. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Implications for agriculture subsistence and pig husbandry from stable isotope evidence of human and pig diets in Xinzhai, Henan province. In Science for Archaeology, Center for Scientific Archaeology of IA-CASS (ed.). Science Press: Beijing; 50–58. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Towards an isotopic ecology of herbivory in the Puna ecosystem: New results and patterns on Lama glama. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 19: 144–155. , , .
- 2008. Wild or domesticated: DNA analysis of ancient water buffalo remains from north China. Journal of Archaeological Science 35: 2778–2785. , , , .
- 2011. Carbon isotope fractionation during low temperature carbonization of foxtail and common millets. Organic Geochemistry 42: 713–719. , , , , , .
- 2007. Zooarchaeology for the Central Plains during 2500–1500 BC: Exemplifying Taosi, Wangchengguang, Xinzhai and Erlitou sites. In Science for Archaeology, Center for Scientific Archaeology IA-CASS (ed.). Science Press: Beijing; 13–34. , , , , , .
- 2008. Livestock in ancient China: An archaeozoological perspective. In Past Human Migrations in East Asia: Matching Archaeology, Linguistics and Genetics, A Sanchez-Mazas, R Blench, MD Ross, I Peiros, M Lin (eds.). Routledge: New York; 427–442. , , .
- 2008. Domestication and early agriculture in the Mediterranean Basin: Origins, diffusion, and impact. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105: 11597–11604. .
- 2010a. Phytolith evidence for rice cultivation and spread in mid-late Neolithic archaeological sites in central North China. Boreas 39: 592–602. , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Studies on diet of the ancient people of the Yangshao cultures sites in the Central Plains. Acta Archaeologica Sinica 29: 197–207. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. New archaeobotanic data for the study of the origins of agriculture in China. Current Anthropology 52: S295–S306. .
- 2004. Result and preliminary analysis of the tentative floatation at Zhouyuan site. Cultural Relics 10: 89–96. , .