Scars of Parturition? Influences Beyond Parity
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Osteoarchaeology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 121–131, January/February 2016
How to Cite
2016) Scars of Parturition? Influences Beyond Parity. Int. J. Osteoarchaeol., 26: 121–131. doi: 10.1002/oa.2402., and (
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2016
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 FEB 2014 11:12AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUL 2013
- 1996. The shapes of the female pelvis: Contributing factors. Journal of Reproductive Medicine 41(4): 242–250. .
- 1986. Parturition scarring as a consequence of flexible pelvic architecture. PhD Thesis, Department of Archaeology, Simon Fraser University, Canada. .
- 1969. The bases of paleodemography. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 30: 427–437. .
- 2012. Evidence of childbirth in the pelvis of prehistoric Andean women. Estudios de Antropología Biológica 5(1): 65–79. , .
- 2006. Methodology and reliability of sex determination from the skeleton. In Forensic Anthropology and Medicine, A Schmitt, E Cunhan, J Pinheiro (eds.). Humana Press: New York; 225–245. , .
- 1994. Standards for data collection from human skeletal remains. Arkansas Archaeological Survey Research Series No 44. , .
- 1989. An evaluation of the significance of “scars of parturition” in the Christ Church Spitalfields sample. Unpublished PhD Thesis, University College London, Great Britain. .
- 1992. Evaluation of the obstetric significance of some pelvic characters in an 18th century British sample of known parity status. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 89: 431–440. , .
- 2010. Williams Obstetrics (23rd Ed). McGraw-Hill Medical: New York; 29–33. , , , , , .
- 1991. Body mass index as a measure of body fatness: Age- and sex-specific prediction formulas. British Journal of Nutrition 65: 105–114. , , .
- 1979, Dysfunction of the sacroiliac joint and its treatment. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 1: 23–35. .
- 1995. Mother and Child Health Research Methods (2nd Ed). Book Aid: London; 186–207. , .
- 1997. Descriptive and metric classification of jaw atrophy. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26: 23–28. , , , .
- 1958. Anatomy of the Human Skeleton (5th Ed). Churchill: London; 124–136. .
- 1998. Markers of childbirth? Effect of body size and pubic morphological change. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 26(supplement): 102. , , .
- 1958. A Method of Anatomy: Descriptive and Deductive (6th Ed). Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore. .
- 1978. A re-examination of parturition scars on the human female pelvis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 49: 91–94. .
- 1974. The relationship of the pre-auricular groove of the ilium to pregnancy. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 41: 381–390. .
- 1975. The bony imprint of pregnancy. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 51(5): 655–661. .
- 2005. New method for estimation of adult skeletal age at death from the morphology of the auricular surface of the ilium. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 128: 324–339. , , , .
- 1993. Casts of age Phases from the Sternal end of the rib for White Males and Females. France Casting: Bellvue, Colorado. , , .
- 1960. The application of electronic computers to factor analysis. Educational and Psychological Measurement 20: 141–151. .
- 1979. Parturition and pelvic changes. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 51: 541–546. .
- 2007. Protection of obstetric dimensions in a small-bodied human sample. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 133: 1152–1165. .
- 2010. Body size estimation of small-bodied humans: Applicability of current methods. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 141: 169–180. , , , .
- 2010. Osteitis condensans ilii. Rheumatology International 30: 293–296. .
- 1982. Growth of the birth canal in adolescent girls. Obstetrics and Gynecology 143: 528–532. .
- 2002. Obesity in South Africa: The South African demographic and health survey. Obesity Research 10(10): 1038–1048. , , , , , , .
- 1976. The structure of the human symphysis pubis with special consideration of parturition and its sequelae. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 45: 589–594. .
- 2011. The relationship between anthropometric measurements and the bony pelvis in African American and European American women. International Urogynecology Journal 8: 1019–1024. , , .
- 1988. The functional significance of Neanderthal pubic length. Current Anthropology 29: 595–617. .
- 1987. Sexual dimorphism in human lower limb bone structure: relationship to subsistence strategy and sexual division of labor. Journal of Human Evolution 16(5): 391–416. .
- 1991. Articular and diaphyseal remodelling of the proximal femur with changes in body mass in adults. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 86: 397–413. , , .
- 1997. Measuring the human pelvis: A comparison of direct and radiographic techniques using a modern United States-based sample. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 103(4): 471–479. , , .
- 2003. Utility of dorsal pits and pubic tubercle height in parity assessment. Journal of Forensic Sciences 48: 1226–1230. , .
- Statsoft Inc. 2009. STATISTICA® data analysis software, version 9. Tulsa, OK.
- 1970. Identification of the scars of parturition in the skeletal remains of females. In Personal Identification in Mass Disasters, TD Stewart (ed.). Smithsonian Press: Washington, DC; 127–135. .
- 1979. Analysis of dorsal pitting in the os pubis in an extensive sample of modern American females. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 51: 517–540. , , , .
- 1989. Variation in pelvic size between males and females. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 80: 59–71. .
- 2012. Skeletal indicators of pregnancy and parturition: A historical review. Journal of Forensic Sciences 57(4): 866-872. , .