Do environmental disturbances of an individual's growth and development influence the later bone involution processes? A study of two mediaeval populations
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2001
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Osteoarchaeology
Volume 11, Issue 6, pages 433–443, November/December 2001
How to Cite
Rewekant, A. (2001), Do environmental disturbances of an individual's growth and development influence the later bone involution processes? A study of two mediaeval populations. Int. J. Osteoarchaeol., 11: 433–443. doi: 10.1002/oa.584
- Issue online: 30 NOV 2001
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 NOV 2000
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUL 2000
- 1966. A new technique for the measurement of metacarpal density. British Journal of Radiology 39: 443–450. , , .
- 1982. A new measure of growth efficiency: skull base height. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 58: 297–305. .
- 1981. Skull base height and pelvic inlet depth from prehistoric to modern times. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 54: 197. , .
- 1972. Bone growth and development in prehistoric populations from Sudanese Nubia. Journal of Human Evolution 1: 89–119. , , , .
- 1982. Morphometrics as indicators of dietary stress in prehistoric Sudanese Nubia. Masca Journal 2: 22–26. , , .
- 1990. The intrauterine origins of adult hypertension. In Fetal Autonomy and Adaptation, DawesGS (ed.). Wiley: Chichester; 42–57. .
- 1984. Age-dependent changes and sexual differences in the formation of the cortical layer of some hand bones under different environmental conditions. Studies in Human Ecology 5: 15–50. .
- 1998. Aging bone score and climatic factors. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 106: 349–359. , , , .
- 1977. Sex differences in the magnitude of statural gains of offspring over parents. Human Biology 49: 265–277. , .
- 1996. Human growth and development from an evolutionary perspective. In Long-Term Consequences of Early Environment. Growth, Development and the Life-Span-Developmental Perspective, HenryCJK, UlijaszekSJ (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 7–24. .
- 1968. Cortical thickness and diaphysial diameter of the metacarpal bones from the age of three months to eleven years. Helvetica Paediatrica Acta 5: 445–463. .
- 1982. Physical anthropological approaches to aging. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 25: 181–202. , , .
- 1976. Patterns of age related cortical bone loss (osteoporosis) within the femoral diaphysis. Human Biology 48: 295–314. , , .
- 1984. A comparison of methods for measuring cortical bone thickness. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 65: 83–86. , , .
- 1985. Can infant malnutrition cause adult vertebral stenosis? Spine 10: 165–170. , , .
- 1986. Poor growth prior to early childhood: decreased health and life-span in the adult. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 70: 145–160. , , , , , .
- 1988. Measures of poor early growth are correlated with lower adult levels of thymosin-1. Human Biology 60: 435–451. , , , , , .
- 1989. Is poor early growth related to adult immune aging? A follow-up study. American Journal of Human Biology 1: 331–337. , , , , .
- 1979. Subsistence base and health in prehistoric Illinois valley: evidence from the human skeleton. Medical Anthropology 3: 109–124. .
- 1993. Biological anthropology and human aging: some current directions in aging research. Annual Review of Anthropology 22: 395–423. .
- 1997. Aging and gerontology: a paradigm of transdisciplinary research. Collegium Antropologicum 21: 83–92. .
- 1976. Quantitative radiology: radiogrammetry of cortical bone. British Journal of Radiology 49: 912–920. .
- 1969a. Femoral cortical involution in three Nubian archaeological populations. Human Biology 41: 13–28. , , .
- 1969b. Rates of femoral cortical bone loss in two Nubian populations. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 65: 61–66. , , .
- 1977. The morphometry and pathological anatomy of the lumbar spine in South African Negroes and Caucasoids with special reference to spinal stenosis. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 59: 173–180. .
- 1980. The trefoil configuration of the lumbar vertebral canal. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 62: 73–77. .
- 1976. Some aspects of aging in the lumbar spine. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 45: 575–580. .
- 1988. Il campione eneolitico di Ponte S. Pietro: indicatori di stress e condizioni di vita. Rivista di Antropologia 66: 77–88. , .
- 1991. Brief communication: on the optimum number of metacarpals for roentgenogrammetric measurement. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 85: 229–232. .
- 1967. Bone loss as a general phenomenon in man. Federation Proceedings 26: 1729–1736. , , .
- 1969. Population similarities in the onset and rate of adult endosteal bone loss. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 65: 51–60. , , , , .
- 1996. Early life stresses and adult health: insights from dental enamel development. In Long-Term Consequences of Early Environment. Growth, Development and the Life-Span-Developmental Perspective, HenryCJK, UlijaszekSJ (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 163–182. .
- 1984. Indications of stress from bone and teeth. In Paleopathology at the Origins of Agriculture, CohenMN, ArmelagosGJ (eds). Academic Press: Orlando; 13–49. , , .
- 1988. Biocultural perspectives on stress in prehistoric, historical, and contemporary population research. Yearbook of Physical Anthropology 31: 169–202. , , , .
- 1985. Age-related bone loss in a prehistoric Koniag Eskimo population. Ossa 12: 41–47. .
- 1972. Multivariate analysis of anthropometric data and classification of British Columbian natives. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 37: 401–410. , .
- 1977. Aging and secular change in adult stature in rural Columbia. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 46: 275–280. , .
- 1975. Patterns of cortical bone growth in moderately malnourished preschool children. Human Biology 47: 337–350. , , , , , .
- 1999. Comparative analysis of age prediction by markers of bone change in the hand assessed by roentgenography. American Journal of Human Biology 11: 31–43. , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Growth of cortical thickness of the second metacarpal based on chronological age and skeletal maturity. Zoological and Morphological Anthropology 69: 183–196. .
- 1992. Age estimation from second metacarpals in children. Okajimas Folia Anatomy Japan 69: 177–182. .
- 1996. Comparative analysis of roentgenologic methods for age evaluation using hand bones. Anthropologie 34: 277–297. , , , , .
- 1989. Comparison of the populations from the Island of Olib and Silba on the basis of metacarpal bone dimensions. Collegium Antropologicum 13: 257–271. .
- 1988. Age, sex, and bone measurements of second, third and fourth metacarpal (Island of Pag, SR Croatia, Yugoslavia). Collegium Antrolpologicum 12: 309–322. , , , , , .
- 1990. Asymmtery of metacarpal skeleton—analyses of second, third and fourth metacarpal bone dimensions. Collegium Antropologicum 14: 273–281. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Brief communication: non-circular geometry and radiogrammetry of the second metacarpal. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 97: 323–327. .
- 1996. Population biology of human aging: ethnic and climatic variation of bone age scores. Human Biology 68: 293–314. , , , .
- 1991. Programming by early nutrition in man. In The Childhood Environment and Adult Disease, BockGR, WhelanJ (eds). Wiley: Chichester; 38–50. .
- 1988. Age-related rates and patterns of cortical bone involution in past human populations: a protohistorical Italian example. Rivista di Antropologia 66: 55–76. .
- 1979. Morphometrics of compact bone: an example from Sudanese Nubia. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 51: 571–578. , .
- 1980. Studies of skeletal remodeling in aging men. Clinical Orthopedics 149: 268–282. , , .
- 1984. The effects of socioeconomic change in prehistoric Africa: Sudanese Nubia as a case study. In Paleopathology at the Origins of Agriculture, CohenMN, ArmelagosGJ (eds). Academic Press: Orlando; 193–214. , , , .
- 1985. Skeletal pathologies as indicators of quality and quantity of diet. In The Analysis of Prehistoric Diets, GilbertRI, MielkeJH (eds). Academic Press: New York; 227–279. , , .
- 1996. Age-dependent cortical bone loss in a medieval population. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 6: 144–154. .
- 1972. Trabecular involution in femoral heads of a prehistoric (X-Group) population from Sudanese Nubia. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 36: 39–44. , , .
- 1992. Morphometric dimensions of the left second metacarpal bone in the analysis of the population structure of the Island of Hvar. International Journal of Anthropology 7: 65–70. .
- 1967. The amount of bone in the metacarpal and the phalanx according to age and sex. Clinical Radiology 18: 101–108. , , , .
- 1982. Influence of infant and juvenile diets on serum cholesterol, lipoprotein cholesterol, and apolipoprotein concentrations in juvenile baboons. Arhersclerosis 45: 191–202. , , , , .
- 1978. The estimation of adult stature from metacarpal bone length. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 48: 113–120. , .
- 1991. Principal component analysis of regional bone density in black and white women: relationship to body size and composition. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 86: 507–514. , , , .
- 1942. American Indian crania with low vaults. Human Biology 14: 178–191. .
- 1970. The loss of bone with age, osteoporosis, and fractures. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 71: 229–252. , .
- 1995. Trefoil configuration and developmental stenosis of the lumbar vertebral canal. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 77: 469–472. , , .
- 1973. Osteoporotic bone loss in two prehistoric Indian populations. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 39: 87–96. .
- 1981. Biologiczna charakterystyka średniowiecznej populacji ze Słaboszewa, woj. Bydgoskie. In Źródła do badań biologii i historii populacji slowiańskich, Seria Antropologia 10, UAM: Poznań, 39–83. .
- 1980. Bone measurements of the second metacarpal and grip strength. Human Biology 52: 131–149. , .
- 1990. Bone loss and cartilage degeneration of the joints: disease or normative aging processes. Collegium Anthropologicum 14: 57–65. , .
- 1982. Cortical bone loss and measurements of the second metacarpal bone. I. Comparisons between adult Guamanian Chamorros and American Caucasians. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 59: 461–465. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Cortical bone loss and measurements of the second metacarpal bone: II. Hypodense bone in postwar Guamanian children. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 63: 57–63. , , , .
- 1987. The vertebral canal: I. Nutrition and development, an archaeological study. Spine 12: 901–906. , .
- 1992. Social and biological risk factorsrelated to the climacteric period in women: osteoporosis. Collegium Anthropologicum 1: 157–165. , , .
- 1980. Population structure and anthropometric variation in rural western Ireland: migration and biological differentiation. Annals of Human Biology 7: 411–428. , , .
- 1995. Patterns of cortical bone growth in children: an example from medieval populations. Anthropologie 33: 79–82. , .
- 1983a. Cross-sectional geometry of Pecos Pueblo femora and tibiae—A biomechanical investigation: I. Method and general patterns of variation. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 60: 359–381. , .
- 1983b. Cross-sectional geometry of Pecos Pueblo femora and tibiae—A biomechanical investigation: II. Sex, age and side differences. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 60: 383–400. , .
- 1984. Structural changes in the femur with the transition to agriculture on the Georgia Coast. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 64: 125–136. , , .
- 1967. Dietary and hormonal factors in bone loss. Federation Proceedings 26: 1737–1746. .
- 1966. Epidemiological studies of osteoporosis in women in Puerto Rico and southeast Michigan with special reference to age, race, national origin and to other related or associated findings. Clinical Orthopedics 45: 31–48. Jr, .
- 1995. Biology of Human Aging. .
- 1966. Age-dependent changes in metacarpal cortical thickness in two populations. Investigative Radiology 1: 394–397. , , .
- 1995. Physical Dimensions of Aging. .
- 1990a. Osteoporosis: etiologies, prevention, and treatment. Yearbook of Physical Anthropology 33: 151–194. .
- 1990b. Bone mineral loss in middle and old age. Mechanisms and treatment. Collegium Anthropologicum 14: 263–272. .
- 1994. Comparisons of Chinese and Arizona bone densities. Collegium Anthropologicum 18: 155–163. .
- 1992. Bone remodeling in old age: longitudinal monitoring in Arizona. American Journal of Human Biology 4: 47–55. , , .
- 1989. Foetus into Man. Castlemead Publications: Ware, Hertfordshire. .
- 1980. Ludność Cedyni wczesnośredniowiecznej w świetle antropologii. Seria Antropologia 8, UAM, Poznań. .
- 1983. Aging, Scientific Perspectives and Social Issues. Brookes/Cole Publ. Co: Pacific Croven, CA. , .
- Workshop of European Anthropologists. 1980. Recommendation for age and sex determination. Journal of Human Evolution 9: 517–549.
- 1969. Roentgenographic and direct measurement of femoral cortical involution in a prehistoric Mississipian population. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 31: 23–38. , , .
- 1985. Cortical bone maintenance and geometry of the tibia in prehistoric children from Nubia's Batn el Hajar. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 66: 275–280. , , .
- 1954. A radicular syndrome from developmental narrowing of the lumbar vertebral canal. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 36: 230–237. .
- 1955. Further experiences on the pathological influence of a developmental narrowness of the bony lumbar vertebral canal. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 37: 576–583. .
- 1967. Changes in bone density and cortical thickness of the second metacarpal between the ages of 3 and 74 years as a method for investigating bone mineral metabolism. Acta anatomica 67: 74–94. .
- 1976. Stature as a measure of effects of environmental change. Current Anthropology 17: 548–552. , .