Disclosure: The authors declared no conflict of interest.
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages E98–E104, January 2013
How to Cite
Dancause, K. N., Vilar, M., Wilson, M., Soloway, L. E., DeHuff, C., Chan, C., Tarivonda, L., Regenvanu, R., Kaneko, A., Lum, J. K. and Garruto, R. M. (2013), Behavioral risk factors for obesity during health transition in Vanuatu, South Pacific. Obesity, 21: E98–E104. doi: 10.1002/oby.20082
Funding agencies: This research was funded in part by start-up funds from Binghamton University Laboratory of Evolutionary Anthropology and Health, the Graduate Program in Biomedical Anthropology, and NSF Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Award number BCS-0925664. Kelsey Dancause was supported by fellowships from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) while working on this manuscript.
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 OCT 2012 12:57PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 FEB 2012
- 2World Health Organization. Programmes and projects: glossary of globalization, trade and health terms, health transition. Available at: http://www.who.int/trade/glossary/story050/en/index.html (2012) Accessed 12 February 2012.
- 4Caballero B, Popkin BM, (eds). The nutrition transition: diet and disease in the developing world. London: Academic Press; 2002.
- 7Vanuatu National Statistics Office. Available at: http://www.vnso.gov.vu/ (2009) Accessed 12 February 2012.
- 8Symposium on changes in disease patterns in the Western Pacific and Southeast Asia. Hum Biol 1992; 64: 84., .
- 111998 Vanuatu non-communicable disease survey report. Noumea: Secretariat of the Pacific Community; 2000..
- 15Anthropometric standardization reference manual. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books; 1988., , .
- 16World Health Organization. Global database on body mass index. Available at: http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp (2012) Accessed 12 February 2012.
- 17World Health Organization. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of the WHO consultation on obesity. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1997.
- 18International Diabetes Federation. The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Brussels: International Diabetes Federation; 2006.
- 20Relationships between body size and percent body fat among Melanesians in Vanuatu. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2010; 19: 425-431., , , et al.
- 21The Pacific Islands food composition tables, 2nd ed. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; 2004., , , et al.
- 22Nutritional investigations in the New Hebrides. SPC Technical Paper No 23. Noumea: South Pacific Commission; 1952..
- 23The effect of urbanization and Western diet on the health of Pacific Island populations. SPC Technical Paper 186. Noumea: South Pacific Commission; 1984., , .
- 24Deterioration of traditional food systems, increasing malnutrition and food dependency in the Pacific Islands. J Food Nutr 1982; 39: 109-120..
- 25World Health Organization. Diet, food supply and obesity in the Pacific. Geneva: World Health Organization: World Health Organization Regional Office for the Western Pacific; 2003.
- 26United Nations Children's Fund. Vanuatu: a situation analysis of children, women and youth. Suva: UNICEF Pacific Office; 2005.
- 33Exploring the health transition in Vanuatu: longitudinal data comparisons from 2007 to 2011 (Conference Abstract). Am J Hum Biol 2012; 24: 212., , , et al.