Disclosure: G.D.F. is on the scientific advisory boards for NutriSystem, ConAgra Foods, United Health Care Group and Medtronic. No other activities or commercial relationships were disclosed.
Using facebook and text messaging to deliver a weight loss program to college students†
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2012 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 25–31, January 2013
How to Cite
Napolitano, M. A., Hayes, S., Bennett, G. G., Ives, A. K. and Foster, G. D. (2013), Using facebook and text messaging to deliver a weight loss program to college students. Obesity, 21: 25–31. doi: 10.1002/oby.20232
See the online ICMJE Conflict of Interest Forms for this article.
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 DEC 2011
- 1United States Department of Health and Human Service. The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity. Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General: Rockville, MD, 2001.
- 7American College Health Association. National college health assessment – Spring 2007 reference group data report (abridged). J Am Coll Health 2008; 56: 469-479.
- 8Obesity on campus. Prev Chronic Dis 2007; 4: A72..
- 10Online social networking on campus: Understanding what matters in student culture. Taylor & Francis: New York, 2009., .
- 11Pew Research Center. Cell phone data set. Washington, DC: Pew Research Center <http://pewinternet.org/Shared-Content/Data-Sets/2010/May-2010--Cell-Phones.aspx> ( 2010). Accessed 15 December 2011.
- 12Cell phones and American adults: they make just as many calls, but text less often than teens. Washington, DC: Pew Research Center <http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Cell-Phones-and-American-Adults.aspx> ( 2010). Accessed 17 January 2011..
- 13Institute for Mobile Media Research. Muncie: Ball State University <http://cms.bsu.edu/Academics/CentersandInstitutes/CMD/IMMR/IntheMedia.aspx> ( 2009). Accessed 17 January 2011..
- 14Facebook traffic rise makes google social tools esstential <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Web-Services-Web-20-and-SOA/Facebook-Traffic-Rise-Make-Google-Social-Tools-Essential-238416/> ( 2011)..
- 15Social integration, social networks, social support and health. In: , (eds). Social Epidemiology. Oxford University Press: New York, 2000, pp 137-174., .
- 18Social sensing: obesity, unhealthy eating and exercise in face-to-face networks. In: Proceedings of Wireless Health 2010. ACM: San Diego, 2010, p 104-110., , , .
- 21Health organizations' use of Facebook for health advertising and promotion. J Interact Advert 2011; 12: 62-77., , .
- 22Weight and metabolic outcomes after 2 years on a low-carbohydrate versus low-fat diet: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2010; 153: 147-157., , et al.
- 342010., , Student weight loss group: student feedback and weight loss results. American College Health Association Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, June
- 37Digest of Education Statistics 2010 (NCES 2011-015). National Center for Education Statistics, Institute of Education Sciences, USDOE: Washington, DC, 2011., .