Disclosure: C.M.A has participated on advisory boards for Allergan, Amylin, Orexigen, Merck, Johnson and Johnson, Abbott, Arena, Zafgen, Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi-Aventis, and has received research funding from Lilly, Amylin, Pfizer, Sanofi-Aventis, Orexigen, MetaProteomics, and the Dr. Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Foundation. L.J.A. has participated in advisory boards/acted as a consultant for Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare LP, Novo Nordisk, Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., VIVUS, Inc., Takeda Pharmaceuticals, and Zafgen, Inc. L.J.A has also performed contracted research for Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., High Point Pharmaceuticals LLC, Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), and Novo Nordisk, and has ownership interest in Cardiometabolic Support Network, LLC, and Myos Corporation. D.M.R. has served as a clinical investigator in clinical drug trials of obesity therapeutics for Orexigen; D.M.R. has not received any financial support as a consultant for Orexigen. C.D.S. has participated on advisory boards for Allergan, and Ethicon-Endosurgery. C.D.S. has also received research funding from Ethicon Endo-Surgery Arena and Orexigen Pharmaceuticals. H.W. received has served as an advisor for Orexigen Pharmaceuticals, Arena Pharmaceuticals, Wellspring Camps, and Eisai, Inc. H.W. receives royalties from Up to Date and has received grant funding from the NIH, Orexigen, and Novo Nordisk. H.W. has ownership interests in Active Planet LLC and has co-ownership on a patent for a weight loss maintenance strategy. C.B. is an employee at Orexigen. D.D.K. and E.D. are former employees at Orexigen; D.D.K. is currently employed at Zafgen, Inc., and has acted as a consultant for Orexigen; E.D. is currently an employee of Amgen, Inc.
Version of Record online: 20 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 935–943, May 2013
How to Cite
Apovian, C. M., Aronne, L., Rubino, D., Still, C., Wyatt, H., Burns, C., Kim, D., Dunayevich, E. and for the COR-II Study Group (2013), A randomized, phase 3 trial of naltrexone SR/bupropion SR on weight and obesity-related risk factors (COR-II). Obesity, 21: 935–943. doi: 10.1002/oby.20309
Funding agencies: Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., provided study drug and collaborated with the investigators in the design of the study; interpretation of the data; and the preparation, review, and approval of the manuscript. Metropolitan Research Associates (New York, New York, USA) was responsible for study conduct and monitoring, and inVentiv Clinical Solutions (Hunt Valley, Maryland, USA) was responsible for collection, management, and analysis of the data. The dataset is available at Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc.
*Members listed at end of report.
- Issue online: 20 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 FEB 2013 07:13AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 OCT 2012
- Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc.,
- Metropolitan Research Associates (New York, New York, USA)
- inVentiv Clinical Solutions (Hunt Valley, Maryland, USA)
- Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc.
- 3NHLBI/NIDDK. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report. National Institutes of Health: Bethesda, 1998.
- 8Bupropion and naltrexone interact synergistically to decrease food intake in mice. In: North American Association for the Study of Obesity Annual Scientific Meeting, New Orleans, LA 2007., , , .
- 10Prescribing Information: Vivitrol (naltrexone for extended-release injectable suspension). 2010.
- 11Prescribing Information: Zyban (bupropion hydrochloride) sustained-release tablets. 2012. pp 1-34.
- 19SDI. Occurrences of bupropion prescriptions by BMI, Jan-Dec. 2009.
- 26Plymouth, PA, 1998-2003.. The National Disease and Therapeutic Index.