Disclosures: Dr. Haley is funded by the American Heart Association, the American Federation for Aging Research, and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Ms. Gonzales is funded by the National Institute on Aging. Mr. Tarumi reports no disclosures. Dr. Tanaka has received research support from the American Heart Association.
Dyslipidemia links obesity to early cerebral neurochemical alterations
Article first published online: 25 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 10, pages 2007–2013, October 2013
How to Cite
Haley, A. P., Gonzales, M. M., Tarumi, T. and Tanaka, H. (2013), Dyslipidemia links obesity to early cerebral neurochemical alterations. Obesity, 21: 2007–2013. doi: 10.1002/oby.20332
Funding agencies: This study was funded in part by the American Heart Association (09BGIA2060722, APH), the American Federation for Aging Research (8A0024, APH), the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (R01NS75565, APH), and the National Institute on Aging (F31AG040890, MMG.).
- Issue published online: 5 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 25 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 MAR 2013 02:02AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 NOV 2012
- 2WHO. Preventing Chronic Diseases: A Vital Investment: WHO Global Report. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland; 2005.
- 6The effect of body mass index on global brain volume in middle-aged adults: a cross sectional study. BMC Neurol 2005;5:5-23., , , , .
- 15Elevated serum C-reactive protein relates to increased cerebral myo-inositol levels in middle-aged adults. Cardiovasc Psychiatry Neurol 2012;Epub 2012 Feb 22., , , , , .
- 16Aging exacerbates obesity-induced oxidative stress and inflammation in perivascular adipose tissue in mice: a paracrine mechanism contributing to vascular redox dysregulation and inflammation. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2012;Epub ahead of Print., , , et al.
- 18NIH. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 1998.
- 27Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Diagnosis of Neurological Diseases. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker, Inc.; 1999., .
- 34Cholesterol and triglycerides moderate the effect of apolipoprotein E on memory functioning in older adults. J Gerontol B Psychol 2007;62:P112-P118., , , et al.
- 36The role of lipoproteins and inflammation in cognitive decline: Do they interact? Neurobiol Aging 2012;33:e1-e12., , , , .