Disclosure: The authors declared no conflict of interest.
Abdominal myosteatosis is independently associated with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance among older men without diabetes
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 10, pages 2118–2125, October 2013
How to Cite
Miljkovic, I., Cauley, J. A., Wang, P. Y., Holton, K. F., Lee, C. G., Sheu, Y., Barrett-Connor, E., Hoffman, A. R., Lewis, C. B., Orwoll, E. S., Stefanick, M. L., Strotmeyer, E. S., Marshall, L. M. and the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group (2013), Abdominal myosteatosis is independently associated with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance among older men without diabetes. Obesity, 21: 2118–2125. doi: 10.1002/oby.20346
Author contribution: I.M.: Project development and writing of the manuscript; P.Y.W.: Statistical analyses; J.A.C., K.F.H., C.G.L., Y.S., E.B.-C., A.R.H., C.B.L., E.S.O., M.L.S., and E.L.S.: Review of the manuscript; L.M.M.: Supervision of the progress of this project, assistance with data interpretation, review of the manuscript, and contribution to discussion; and I.M., J.A.C., P.Y.W., K.F.H., C.G.L., Y.S., E.B.-C., A.R.H., C.B.L., E.S.O., M.L.S., E.S.S., and L.M.M.: Suggestions, advice, and consultation on the preparation of the manuscript.
Funding agencies: This research was supported by the grant (K01DK083029) Mentored Research Scientist Development Award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study were supported by the Oregon Medical Research Foundation, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, the National Institute on Aging, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Center for Research Resources, American Diabetes Association, and NIH Roadmap for Medical Research under grant numbers: U01 AR45580, U01 AR45614, U01 AR45632, U01 AR45647, U01 AR45654, U01 AR45583, U01 AG18197, U01-AG027810, UL1 RR024140, R21 DK066224, R01 HL084183, P60 AR05473101, UL1 RR024140, and ADA 104-JF46.
- Issue published online: 5 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 FEB 2013 07:18AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2012
- 15A computer-tomography based multicompartment body composition technique and anthropometric predictions of lean body mass, total and subcutaneous adipose tissue. Int J Obes 1991;15 (Suppl 2):19–30..
- 35Psoas major: a case report and review of its anatomy, biomechanics, and clinical implications. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2009;53:311–318., .
- 38Regional Myosin heavy chain distribution in selected paraspinal muscles. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2010;35:1265–1270., , , et al.