Author contributions: HK: Analyzed VBM and DTI data, wrote the manuscript; JT: Analyzed VBM and DTI data, wrote the manuscript; JH: Designed the experiments, wrote the manuscript; VL: Analyzed DTI data; RP: Screened MRI data; JH: Analyzed DTI Data; JCH: Screened the study subjects; MS: Screened the study subjects; TP: Analyzed abdominal fat volumes; PS: Recruited the study subjects; PN: Designed the experiments, wrote the manuscript; LN: Acquired and analyzed MRI data, supervised data analysis, wrote the manuscript.
Obesity is associated with white matter atrophy: A combined diffusion tensor imaging and voxel-based morphometric study
Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages 2530–2537, December 2013
How to Cite
Karlsson, H. K., Tuulari, J. J., Hirvonen, J., Lepomäki, V., Parkkola, R., Hiltunen, J., Hannukainen, J. C., Soinio, M., Pham, T., Salminen, P., Nuutila, P. and Nummenmaa, L. (2013), Obesity is associated with white matter atrophy: A combined diffusion tensor imaging and voxel-based morphometric study. Obesity, 21: 2530–2537. doi: 10.1002/oby.20386
Funding agencies: This work was supported by the Academy of Finland (grants #256147 and #251125) to LN, by the Aalto University (AivoAALTO grant), Sigrid Juselius foundation, Turku University Hospital (EVO grant). The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
- Issue online: 3 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 MAR 2013 02:11AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2012
- 1Central obesity and the aging brain. Arch Neurol 2005;10:1545–1548., , , .
- 4Brain structure and obesity. Hum Brain Mapp 2010;3:353–364., , , et al.
- 10Abnormal cholesterol is associated with prefrontal white matter abnormalities among obese adults, a diffusion tensor imaging study. Neuroradiol J 2011;21:989–997., , .
- 13Aerobic fitness and obesity: relationship to cerebral white matter integrity in the brain of active and sedentary older adults. Br J Sports Med 2010. Published online June 17., , , .
- 38Visceral fat is associated with lower brain volume in healthy middle-aged adults. Ann Neurol 2010;2:136–144., , , et al.
- 39Clinical correlates of white matter findings on cranial magnetic resonance imaging of 3301 elderly people. The Cardiovascular Health Study. Stroke 1996;8:1274–1282., , , et al.