Funding agencies: A.L.C.S. was supported by NIH/NIDDK training grant T32 DK062707. E.S. was supported by NIH/NIDDK grants K01 DK076595 and R01 DK089174. J.M.C. and M.L. were supported by grant R01 DK083393 from NIH/NIDDK. M.L. was also supported by the American Diabetes Association.
Racial differences in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in the U.S. population
Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 292–299, January 2014
How to Cite
Schneider, A. L. C., Lazo, M., Selvin, E. and Clark, J. M. (2014), Racial differences in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in the U.S. population. Obesity, 22: 292–299. doi: 10.1002/oby.20426
Disclosure: No potential conflicts of interest relevant to this article were reported. All participants provided written informed consent. NHANES III data are publically available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nh3data.htm.
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 MAR 2013 02:37AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2012
- 1The prevalence and etiology of elevated aminotransferase levels in the United States. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98( 5):960-967., , .Direct Link:
- 5Is NASH underdiagnosed among African Americans? Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97( 6):1496-1500., , , .Direct Link:
- 20Analytical and Reporting Guidelines: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, NHANES III (1988–1994). Hyatsville, MD: National Center For Health Statistics, Center for Disease Control and Prevention; 1996. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes3/nh3gui.pdf.
- 21Plan and operation of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. National Center for Health Statistics, Center for Disease Control and PRevention, editor. Washington, D.C.: Department of Health and Human Services publication; 1994.
- 22Bioelectrical impedance analysis measurements as part of a national nutrition survey. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64( 3 Suppl):453S-458S..
- 24Laboratory procedures used for the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), 1988–1994. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Environmental Health, National Center for Health Statistics; 1996. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes3/cdrom/nchs/manuals/labman.pdf.
- 25Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Hepatic Steatosis Ultrasound Images Assessment Procedures Manual. Hyattsville, MD: National Center For Health Statistics, Center for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes3/Hepatic_Steatosis_Ultrasound_Procedures_Manual.pdf.
- 29Stata. Stata Statistical Software: Release 11. College Station, TX: StataCorp; 2009.