Disclosure: The authors have no competing interests.
The independent and combined associations of physical activity and sedentary behavior with obesity in adults: NHANES 2003-06
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages E730–E737, December 2013
How to Cite
Maher, C. A., Mire, E., Harrington, D. M., Staiano, A. E. and Katzmarzyk, P. T. (2013), The independent and combined associations of physical activity and sedentary behavior with obesity in adults: NHANES 2003-06. Obesity, 21: E730–E737. doi: 10.1002/oby.20430
Funding agencies: CM is supported by an Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. CM's visit to Pennington Biomedical Research Center was funded by a University of South Australia Early Career Researcher Travel Grant. AES is funded by an NIH NIDDK National Research Service Award, T32DK064584-06. PTK is funded, in part, by the Louisiana Public Facilities Authority Endowed Chair in Nutrition.
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 MAR 2013 02:36AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2013
- 12Too little exercise and too much sitting: inactivity physiology and the need for new recommendations on sedentary behavior. Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep 2008;2:292-298., , , et al.
- 20Joint associations of physical activity and screen time with overweight among Japanese adults. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Activity 2011;8:131., , , et al.
- 21Global database on body mass index. Available at: http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp (2012) Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- 22CDC/National Center for Health Statistics. Documentation, codebook and frequencies: physical activity monitor NHANES 2005-2006. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/PAXRAW_D.htm (2009) Accessed 9th July 2012.
- 27CDC/National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) Anthropometry Procedures Manual. CDC: Atlanta, Georgia, 2007.
- 28National Institutes of Health (U.S.), North American Association for the Study of Obesity, National Heart L, and Blood Institute, NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative. The practical guide to identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. National Institutes of Health; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative; North American Association for the Study of Obesity: Bethesda, MD, 2000.
- 30National Obesity Observatory UK. Adult Obesity and Socioeconomic Status. National Health Service, 2010.
- 31Obesity and socioeconomic status in adults: United States 1988-1994 and 2005-2008. National Center for Health Statistics: Hyattsville, MD, 2010., , , et al.