Additional Supporting Information may be found in the online version of this article.
Blunted metabolic responses to cold and insulin stimulation in brown adipose tissue of obese humans
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 11, pages 2279–2287, November 2013
How to Cite
Orava, J., Nuutila, P., Noponen, T., Parkkola, R., Viljanen, T., Enerbäck, S., Rissanen, A., Pietiläinen, K. H. and Virtanen, K. A. (2013), Blunted metabolic responses to cold and insulin stimulation in brown adipose tissue of obese humans. Obesity, 21: 2279–2287. doi: 10.1002/oby.20456
Author Contributions: JO, PN, TN, KHP and KAV conceived and carried out the experiments and analyzed the data. RP, AR and SE conceived the experiments and interpreted the data. TV was responsible for the PET tracer production. All authors were involved in writing the paper and gave final approval of the submitted and published versions.
Disclosure: SE is a member of the scientific advisory board and shareholder of Ember Therapeutics. The authors declare no other duality of interest related to this manuscript.
Funding agencies: This study was conducted within the Finnish Center of Excellence in Molecular Imaging in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research supported by the Academy of Finland, the University of Turku, the Hospital District of Southwest Finland, and Åbo Akademi University. The work was supported by grants from the Finnish Medical, Instrumentarium Science, Novo Nordisk, Paulo and Diabetes Research foundations, and Helsinki University Hospital Research Funds. The work was also supported by the European Union (EU FP7 project 278373; DIABAT), and grants from the Swedish Research Council (2009-2590 and 2010-3281), Sahlgrenska's University Hospital (LUA-ALF), the Knut and Alice Wallenberg and Söderberg foundations, and the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research through the Center for Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research. SE thanks Konung Gustaf V:s och Drottning Victorias Frimurarestiftelse for generous support, and all the authors acknowledge the staff of Turku PET Center and the Obesity Research Unit in Helsinki.
- Issue published online: 1 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 APR 2013 04:51AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
This article has been cited by:
- 1Activation and recruitment of brown adipose tissue as anti-obesity regimens in humans, Annals of Medicine, 2014, 1, ,
- 2Adipose tissue oxygenation: Effects on metabolic function, Adipocyte, 2014, 3, 1, 75,
- 3BAT Thermogenesis: Linking Shivering to Exercise, Cell Metabolism, 2014, 19, 3, 352,
- 5Brown adipose tissue function is accompanied by cerebral activation in lean but not in obese humans, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism, 2014, 34, 6, 1018, , , , , , ,
- 6Brown fat fuel use and regulation of energy homeostasis, Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, 2014, 17, 4, 368, ,
- 7Molecular imaging of brown adipose tissue in health and disease, European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 2014, 41, 4, 776, , , , , , ,
- 8Natriuretic peptides in cardiometabolic regulation and disease, Nature Reviews Cardiology, 2014, 11, 7, 403, , , , , ,
- 9Methods of Adipose Tissue Biology, Part B, 2014,, , ,
- 10Brown adipose tissue in humans: Therapeutic potential to combat obesity, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2013, 140, 1, 26, ,
- 11Regulation of glucose homoeostasis by brown adipose tissue, The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, 2013, 1, 4, 353, ,