Funding agencies: This research was supported by a Scientist Development Grant 09SDG2220218 from the American Heart Association and a P30-HL-101310 from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to Sihem Boudina. Karla M. Pires is supported by a post-doctoral training grant from “Assessoria de Cooperacao Internacional Coordenacao de Cooperacao Bilateral Programa CSF-Programa Ciência sem Fronteiras (COCBI)”. Olesya Ilkun is supported by T32DK091317 training grant from NIH/NIDDK. Marina Valente is supported by the Science without Border Undergraduate Fellowship from the Brazilian Scientific Mobility Programs.
Treatment with a SOD mimetic reduces visceral adiposity, adipocyte death, and adipose tissue inflammation in high fat-fed mice
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 178–187, January 2014
How to Cite
Pires, K. M., Ilkun, O., Valente, M. and Boudina, S. (2014), Treatment with a SOD mimetic reduces visceral adiposity, adipocyte death, and adipose tissue inflammation in high fat-fed mice. Obesity, 22: 178–187. doi: 10.1002/oby.20465
Disclosure: The authors declared no conflict of interest.
Author Contributions: Karla M. Pires and Olesya Ilkun performed the experiments, researched data and carried out data analysis. Sihem Boudina designed the study, performed some experiments, research data, analyzed data and wrote the manuscript.
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 MAR 2013 11:41AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2013
This article has been cited by:
- 2Antioxidant treatment normalizes mitochondrial energetics and myocardial insulin sensitivity independently of changes in systemic metabolic homeostasis in a mouse model of the metabolic syndrome, Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 2015, 85, 104, , , , , , , , , , ,
- 3In adipose tissue, increased mitochondrial emission of reactive oxygen species is important for short-term high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance in mice, Diabetologia, 2015, 58, 5, 1071, , , ,
- 4MnTBAP stimulates angiogenic functions in endothelial cells through mitofusin-1, Vascular Pharmacology, 2015, 72, 163, , , , , , ,
- 5Pilot in vivo investigation of cerium oxide nanoparticles as a novel anti-obesity pharmaceutical formulation, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2015, 11, 7, 1725, , , , , , ,
- 6Redox modulation of adipocyte differentiation: hypothesis of “Redox Chain” and novel insights into intervention of adipogenesis and obesity, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2015, 89, 99, ,
- 7Mn porphyrin-based SOD mimic, MnTnHex-2-PyP5+, and non-SOD mimic, MnTBAP3−, suppressed rat spinal cord ischemia/reperfusion injuryviaNF-κB pathways, Free Radical Research, 2014, 48, 12, 1426, , , , , , , ,
- 8Rational Design of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Mimics: The Evaluation of the Therapeutic Potential of New Cationic Mn Porphyrins with Linear and Cyclic Substituents, Inorganic Chemistry, 2014, 53, 21, 11467, , , , , , , , , , ,