Disclosure: None reported. The authors declare no competing interests.
Obesity and risk of sepsis: A population-based cohort study
Article first published online: 5 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages E762–E769, December 2013
How to Cite
Wang, H. E., Griffin, R., Judd, S., Shapiro, N. I. and Safford, M. M. (2013), Obesity and risk of sepsis: A population-based cohort study. Obesity, 21: E762–E769. doi: 10.1002/oby.20468
Funding agencies: This research project is supported by a cooperative agreement U01-NS041588 from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Service. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke or the National Institutes of Health. Representatives of the funding agency have been involved in the review of the manuscript but not directly involved in the collection, management, analysis or interpretation of the data. Additional funding was provided by R01-NR012726 from the National Institute for Nursing Research, UL1-RR025777 from the National Center for Research Resources, as well as by grants from the Center for Clinical and Translational Science and the Lister Hill Center for Health Policy of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Representatives from these organizations did not have any role in the design and conduct of the study, the collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data, or the preparation or approval of the manuscript.
Author contributions: HEW, NIS, and MMS conceived the study. RG performed the analysis. All authors contributed to the critical review of analytic results. HEW drafted the manuscript, and all authors contributed substantially to its critical revision and final approval.
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 MAR 2013 11:41AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2013
- 17Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Overwieght and Obesity. Defining Obesity and Overweight. 2012. (Accessed September 25, 2012, at http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html.)
- 19National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much, a Clinician's Guide. 2005. (Accessed February 13, 2012, at http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Practitioner/CliniciansGuide2005/guide.pdf.)
- 32Predictive value of abdominal obesity vs. body mass index for determining risk of intensive care unit mortality. Crit Care Med 2010;38:1308-1314., , , et al.
- 35High-sensitivity C-reactive protein and risk of sepsis (abstract). Crit Care Med 2012;40:1-328., , , et al.